NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Support group (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/248479-support.html)

Brokenfriend 07-18-2017 12:42 AM

Support group

I attended a support group for the third time in a couple of months on Monday afternoon. It was ok. BF:hug::hug::hug:

OhKay 07-18-2017 06:59 AM

I'm glad things went okay :hug:

bizi 07-18-2017 07:12 AM

happy for you!
I used to run one many many years ago. But had to quit when I got manic.
bizi

Brokenfriend 07-18-2017 09:14 PM

With all of the things that I have learned during the years that I've had these conditions, I'm not sure if a support group is going to help me very much.

I may be able to help others more then I will be helped. That's ok with me. BF:hug::hug::hug:

bizi 07-18-2017 09:17 PM

Yes you can help others which makes us feel good,
thus helping us!:)
bizi

Brokenfriend 07-18-2017 09:42 PM

I've accumulated so much knowledge, and experience about mental health. I seem to be helping others at these meetings. I have a lot to say, but I keep quiet about allot of things because I don't want to be talking to much. I definitely don't want to become obsessive compulsive in my speaking at the meetings because that would not be helpful to anyone. I've seen people do that before. BF:hug::hug::hug:

bizi 07-18-2017 10:17 PM

After the meetings you can go up to individuals with additional information for them. I know I made a good friend this way.:)
good luck at the meetings.
(((((HUGS)))))
bizi

OhKay 07-19-2017 07:58 AM

I have the habit of talking too much and trying to help too much, too :hug:

Brokenfriend 07-19-2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhKay (Post 1247484)
I have the habit of talking too much and trying to help too much, too :hug:

Kay Me to. The Seroquel helps me to let some things go that I was going to say. I'm not as hyper in speaking about things these days. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Brokenfriend 07-26-2017 11:26 AM

I need to keep attending support groups unless they become a financial burden. Right now I can attend them because I'm on medicare/Medicaid.

I need to keep getting out of the apartment. I seem to want to get away from everyone. I feel a little burned out in life because of all of the problems that I've had. I am very tired. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Mari 07-26-2017 11:44 AM

Hi, BF,

:hug::hug::hug:

It's good that the meetings help you.

M

Brokenfriend 07-27-2017 01:00 AM

Hi Mari. I hope that you are having a good night. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Brokenfriend 07-28-2017 02:26 AM

I will be going to another support group session on Monday. I saw my nurse practitioner on Thursday afternoon. BF:hug::hug::hug:

bizi 07-28-2017 09:07 AM

I hope she helped you...I think your NP is a she?:rolleyes:
((((HUGS))))
bizi

Brokenfriend 07-28-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1248029)
I hope she helped you...I think your NP is a she?:rolleyes:
((((HUGS))))
bizi

Yes. All of the people who are helping me from the state are women. They are very important to me. I'm still waiting for a new case manager. The other one either quit, or was fired. ??? BF:hug::hug::hug:

Brokenfriend 07-31-2017 01:02 AM

I'm going to go to a support group later on today. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Dmom3005 07-31-2017 01:01 PM

Friend

I used to go to a support group many years ago. I got things out of it by
helping the others. I stopped going because the group wasn't meeting anymore.

I personally miss it. I wish it was still going on.

Donna :hug::grouphug:

Mari 07-31-2017 11:56 PM

Hi, BF,

I hope that you are doing well.

How was the support group?

M

Brokenfriend 08-01-2017 02:39 AM

The support group went very well. I have lots of things to share with the people to help them in various stages of treatment. That makes me feel good. BF:hug::hug::hug:

bizi 08-01-2017 01:41 PM

I am so glad that you are going, and it feels good to help people.
Thankful for my job because I get to help people everyday.:)
(((((HUGS)))))
bizi

mymorgy 08-01-2017 02:09 PM

I felt so worthwhile while I was helping people. and working for the non profit public library.

Brokenfriend 08-01-2017 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1248212)
I am so glad that you are going, and it feels good to help people.
Thankful for my job because I get to help people everyday.:)
(((((HUGS)))))
bizi

That's wonderful that you can help people every day. That must feel wonderful. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Brokenfriend 08-01-2017 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mymorgy (Post 1248218)
I felt so worthwhile while I was helping people. and working for the non profit public library.

Hi Bobby. It is a worthwhile feeling. There are so many things that we have learned in our surviving mental health issues over a long period of time.

We are eager to help, and want to help when we hear people who are struggling with what we have already gone through.

It helps us to maintain our own mental health, and other people who are listening. BF:hug::hug::hug:

mymorgy 08-02-2017 09:53 AM

that is why I went into child psychology. I didn't know I was bipolar. I just knew I wanted to help kids who were suffering.

bizi 08-02-2017 10:04 AM

I bet you were good at it bobby.:)
bizi

mymorgy 08-02-2017 03:36 PM

THANK YOU. i really was. i had a lot of empathy and unconditional love. the kids would tell me their secrets. one little girl had a very controlling mother and what the girl would do is lock the mother's door in the middle of the night to assert some control. I didn't squeal and just hoped there wouldn't be an emergency. Another boy with a controlling wonderful mother would hide her keys. I finally stopped seeing him and only saw her and he improved and she improved. He finally told her about the keys and she laughed. I was unorthodox. anther boy I told him he was bright but not to worry since he had too many family problems to deal with. I told him he would catch up later. He heard me

Brokenfriend 08-03-2017 12:50 AM

A little boy was waiting to be seen at the counseling center. I was waiting to go into the support group. The little boy was talking twice as fast as anyone.

I wonder what that is. Could that possibly be hyperactivity? He had a computer tablet. He wanted to know if he could get wifi there. I had no idea. I don't have a tablet, or a smart phone.

I wonder if that was Ritalin, or a IQ of 150 to 170, or both. He was talking extremely fast, and making sense. BF:hug::hug::hug:

mymorgy 08-03-2017 07:23 AM

It sounds more than hyperactivity. How did you lose the 30 pounds? What did you eat and what did you omit besides bread?
I gave a lot of psychologicals and I firmly believe in them and they help so much with the diagnosis. I wonder if he was on medication. I tested one kid who was soft spoken and spoke slowly and who lived with his grandparents. His mother died from an overdose. He told me that they made him eat spaghetti with a spoon. He tested at 162.

Brokenfriend 08-03-2017 11:00 PM

I started by eating less cookies after dinner. Instead of eating many, I limited myself to three. The weight loss happened a month later when I stepped on the scale at my nurse practitioners office. I didn't feel like I lost weight, but I did. Then I lost more the next time that I stepped on the scale. I either have a physical problem, or the weight is coming off with my diet. BF:hug::hug::hug:

mymorgy 08-04-2017 05:08 AM

amazing. that is so great!

OhKay 08-05-2017 10:26 AM

I'm glad that that you all enjoy or have enjoyed helping people. I did too. I got joy in knowing that every day I went to work I made at least one person's life better. You can't beat that.

It sounds like you were a great child psychologist, Bobby :hug:

I'm glad that you are getting a lot out of your support group, BF :hug:

Mari 08-06-2017 03:47 AM

Congratulations, BF

:highfive:

M

Brokenfriend 08-14-2017 11:38 PM

I went to my support group on Monday afternoon. It went well. The group leader wants us to make sure to not talk about the people in the group after the meetings. I agree. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Mari 08-15-2017 02:59 AM

Hi, Friend:hug::hug::hug:

The meetings are working for you! Nice to have that. How often do you go?

M

Brokenfriend 08-15-2017 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari (Post 1249030)
Hi, Friend:hug::hug::hug:

The meetings are working for you! Nice to have that. How often do you go?

M

Every two weeks. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Brokenfriend 08-29-2017 03:14 AM

I went to my Support Group on Monday afternoon. It went well. The group talked more about there mental health issues this week then they have in other sessions. People are starting to open up a little more. There was a new person there today.

My councilor said that she could not see me on Thursday, so she spent a extra hour with me alone after the support group. At the end of the session, I felt more troubled then usual. The (more then usual)troubled feelings subsided after a couple of hours. BF:hug::hug::hug:

OhKay 08-29-2017 08:18 AM

I'm glad that people in your support group are starting to open up more. I think you will all benefit more from the candor.

I'm sorry that you felt troubled after the appointment with your councilor (that's why I stopped going to therapy). I'm happy that those feelings subsided tho :hug:

Mari 08-30-2017 02:00 AM

Good to hear that the meeting was helpful overall.

M :grouphug: