NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Disturbing/anxious night last night (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/3237-disturbing-anxious-night-night.html)

Mari 10-09-2006 11:28 AM

Disturbing/anxious night last night

Hello Friends,
Yesterday I messed up my day meds by forgetting them but not being absolutely sure I forgot them.

25 minutes after I took my night meds last night and a (extra) day med I got parasthesia. I haven't had this for many months and it scared me. Then I got anxiety and chills (from the a/c but I was anxious so everything was big.)

I was worried about my blood pressure going to low. Then I started fretting about being on ANY meds.

I told my husband to wake me up in the morning when he gets up to make sure that I am alive. Imagine doing that to the poor guy. :(

I'm awake now. And wondering what set off the parasthesia. And wondering if the parasthesia is a big deal or not. I can't call the pdoc about this. 2 years ago we went through and EEG and an MRI and things were normal.

I started two new bottles of meds last night. I wonder if I got a bad batch or two. On other occassions that I have gotten parasthesia I was unable to connect it to a certain med or med time. With pdoc's help I went off Wellbutrin and then Xanax anyway because they were potentially causing it. Now I want to continiue to go off the meds.
Mari

bizi 10-09-2006 01:05 PM

Dera Mari,
that sounds scarey to have the parasthesia...was it in your face arms, legs???
actually where were you experiencing this symptoms...I don't remember where you had them before.
anyway
As you know getting off meds takes time and enrgy...slow as you go....
hang in there.
bizi

Mari 10-09-2006 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 22739)
Dera Mari,
that sounds scarey to have the parasthesia...was it in your face arms, legs???

Hi Bizi,
Yes, it starts in face and moves to arms and legs and hangs around a few hours or days depending Today I still have some in my face.
mari

waves 10-09-2006 07:31 PM

please tell pdoc

this sounds similar to what happened to me with Trileptal - it didn't at first, took it for almost a year,and then... started having this effect. in my case it wore off after a few hours but it was scary. it started in my face (lips) and spread through my face, then arms and sometimes legs. i don't know if this is at all related. Trileptal is actually used to treat trigeminal neuralgia so i guess perhaps i got sensitized ti it and the nerve became understimulated... but the rest of the body thing was weird. Bottom line: the trileptal was discontinued.

paresthesia subsequent to taking an unusually high dose of a benzo does not sound like a far reach to me. i think you will be alright. can you find a way to track your meds? i use a daily dispenser. or you could put a sticky on the fridge or a mirror or the inside of a cabinet or whatever - if hubby protests, tell him waves said so :p. i dunno.

but do, please, tell your pdoc. he is prescribing these meds, and he needs to be aware of these events.

be safe

~ waves ~

Mari 10-09-2006 10:13 PM

Dear Waves,
I am sorry you went through this. Apparently you thought it was a good enough reason to stop the med.

Now I am more worried. You know much about these meds. I look up the drugs when I first go on them and then I forget everything. My note taking gets trampled each time I move or change a computer.

I take (1) Verapamil and (2) Klonopin and (3) birth control pill.

The PDR lists paresthesia as an adverse effect of both Verapamil and of Klonopin.
Two years ago I tried to reduce the Verapamil but I got anxious and headed toward hyper within a few days. But I was still on a low dose of Wellburtrin at the time. I see the pdoc on Wednesday (2 days from now). Maybe we could try reducing the Verapamil again.

Or maybe time to reduce the Klonopin. I know to do only one at a time usually.
Going off the Xanax was hard....even with the pdoc's help AND even with raising the Klonopin to keep the benzo dose stable. It was weird. I went through shakes and sweats and anxiety and still have stuff going on here and there.

And I don't want to find a substitute for Verapamil. I like it as a mood stabilizer. I can't imagine dealing with the side effects of a new drug. No new drugs. Please.

Last night, after the the effects started, I put my meds in a weekly dispenser. But this morning I didn't use the dispenser. :rolleyes: I wanted to test if the problem came from the new bottles -- bottles can be inconsistent.

Report: still have the weird parasthesia tonight -- almost 23 hours after it started. I wonder what triggered it.

Tonight is the second night in a row with some anxiety and slight chest pressure. I need to have a talk with myself and figure out what is going on.

I upped my daily calcium dose from 0 to 1500 mgs. Would that effect the Verapamil? A shot in the dark. It's a calcium channel blocker. What does that mean? I have some questions for the pdoc!

Mari

bizi 10-09-2006 10:18 PM

when did you increase your calcium intake? wonder if that has anything to do with it...
HOw long have you been off the xanax?
Withdrawl side effects can last a LONG time!

bizi
worrying can certainly cause us to worry even more and then you can have heart palpitations and skipped beats and jsut get worked up into a tizzy.
I have done this about 2 years ago.
It is/sounds like anxiety and anxiety can just play haovac on us.
you just take the klonipin at night right?
what is your dose if you don't mind or PM me.

Mari 10-09-2006 10:30 PM

Hi Bizi,
About 4-5 days ago I went back on my multi vit and started taking extra calcium. I hadn't taken extra calcium for a very long time.

I need a chemist.
But no calcium tomorrow/Tuesday so I can see what happens.

I went off the Xanax June 20. The pdoc raised the Klonopin an equal amount so that I would not have any withdrawals.
About 4 mornings later, I woke up in a cold sweat. I did the same a few days later. I had anxiety. The anxiety went away after a couple of weeks but I still have other issues like creaky squirty sounds in my head and twitching (not muscular) throughout the body off and on.

I'm thinking it best not to mess with the Klonopin dose.....still have too much going on with the Xanax leaving my body.
On the other hand, maybe I could at least stand a Klonopin reduction.

Mari

Mari 10-09-2006 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 22991)
you just take the klonipin at night right?
what is your dose if you don't mind or PM me.

Dear Bizi,
I take 2.0 Klonopin at night and .5 mg Klonopin in the am when I wake up.
I don't need it during the day but I remember hearing that the klonopin should be dosed more often than once a day due to its half-life -- someone here at the old brain talk told me that. The pdoc said ok to breaking up the dose and taking part in the day.

I have anxiety/panic that is specific to sleep. I made an appointment to see the hypno-therapist on Friday. I had taken a break from her since August, but she called to tell me it was time to come back.

Mari

befuddled2 10-09-2006 10:43 PM

Mari,

I hope you feel better soon. I'm not up on what our meds can do to us to offer any insight. I do know though that I seem to always have trouble with anti-depressants and that is why I do not take any.

befuddled2

bizi 10-09-2006 10:46 PM

I read some one else describe this as a zap.
A side effect from getting off of a benzo of any sort....
I will go have to look up the equilvalents of xanax and klonipin.
I think the doses may be interchangable but their half lifes are different.
I do know that 2mg of klonipin is equal to 40mg of valium in a cross over to do a slow taper.

Mari 10-10-2006 12:47 AM

Bizi,
I don't believe that anyone can make a general statement about equivalencies with the benzos. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/confused0073.gif
The Klonopin and Xanax are not the same. The fact that the Klonopin has a longer half life (as pdoc pointed out) should have helped me.

I did the change by the book and it was ugly for a few weeks.
Still not over.
Theoretically, the klonopin should have covered for any xanax withdrawal. Not the case.

When I go off klonopin some time in the future, I can't see switching benzos to do it.
All benzos are not equivalent. Maybe for some people. My body knew/knows the difference.

In my case, thank goodness I am not getting zaps. They gentler than that. Parts of my body start moving for no reason....like inner thigh.....or inside top of pointer finger.....or a part of my tushy....
I figure that this could take a few more months. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/sign0049.gif Then I will be tired of it. I won't think it is fun anymore. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/cool0024.gif

Mari

I'm wound up tonight and hyper/wired. Sorry if I sound obnoxious. I am just trying to explain. Thanks for your questions.

Oh and I wanted to tell you that hubby and I are not ready for dancing. But I did sign him up for yoga tonight. He will end up loving the teacher. ... We will have fun, I think.
Have fun dancing! http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/happy/thumbsup.gif (thumbs up)

Mari 10-10-2006 12:51 AM

Dear Befuddled,
Thanks for your kindness.

mari

Mari 10-10-2006 12:55 AM

It's the calcium. I figured it out.

Thanks everyone.

This forum gave me the tools to figure it out.
I kept typing and getting closer.
I'll stop the calcium and see what happens.

You all are so good.
http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/jumping0009.gif
Remember that. By being here, you are good.
Thank you.
Mari :) :) :)

mymorgy 10-10-2006 03:41 AM

I am so sorry this is happening to you. I didn't even know what the word meant. I can't offer any insight. RATS....
i am trying to summon up the energy to look on pub med to see if i can find anything...
if I do I will post it....
glad about your husband...that sounds great...
Bobby
ps I just looked through pub med but couldn't find anything that I thought was relevant...double rats
Sensory loss; Paresthesias; Tingling and numbness; Loss of sensation
Definition Return to top

Numbness and tingling are abnormal sensations that can occur anywhere in your body, but are often felt in your hands, feet, arms, or legs.

Common Causes Return to top

There are many possible causes:

Remaining in the same seated or standing position for a long time.
Injuring a nerve supplying the body part where you feel the sensation. If you have a neck injury, for example, you may feel the sensation anywhere along your arm or hand. Similarly, a low back injury can cause sciatica -- a sensation of numbness or tingling down the back of your leg.
Lack of blood supply to the area. For example, plaque buildup from atherosclerosis in the legs can cause pain, numbness, and tingling while walking. (This is called claudication.)
Pressure on the spinal nerves, as from a herniated disk.
Carpal tunnel syndrome. This can cause numbness or tingling in your wrist, fingers, hand, or forearm.
Certain medical conditions, including diabetes, underactive thyroid, multiple sclerosis, seizures, or migraine headaches.
Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body.
Vitamin B-12 deficiency.
Transient ischemic attack (TIA) or stroke
Certain medications.
Toxic action on nerves, such as that from lead, alcohol, or tobacco.
Radiation therapy.

Mari 10-10-2006 11:48 AM

Dear Morgy,
The first time this happened (2.5 years ago)I was driving home from work around 9:00 at night. I ended up in urgent care where they determined I was not having anything acute.
Then the pdoc sent me for tests.

Thanks for doing this research for me.
Today I am going to stay away from the calcium and other supplements. Then tomorrow I see the pdoc.

Mari

bizi 10-10-2006 12:26 PM

Dear Mari,
Sorry if I upset you....
The only reason that I even mentioned the equivalencies is that valium is a whole lot easier to taper off of....the doses can get really hard to divide otherwise.
like if .5mg is equal to 10mg of valium...try cutting the .5mg in 1/4s ect...when they actually make a 2mg pill of valium.
I am not encouraging you to go off the klonipin...simply saying that if in the future you ever want to do that...the ashton manual is the expert in this recommendation. I will try to find the link....
I hope that you are feeling better today.
Yoga sounds nice and relaxing.
I hope you and your hubby have fun.
bizi
http://www.benzo.org.uk/bzmono.htm

Mari 10-10-2006 07:46 PM

Dear Bizi,
You did not upset me.
The Ashton Manual and my pdoc were wrong about the Klonopin and Xanax being equivalent.
They don't subsutitute for each other exactly.

Mari

befuddled2 10-10-2006 08:43 PM

Mari,

Thinking about you. The yoga sounds great too.

befuddled2

Mari 10-10-2006 10:17 PM

hi Befuddled,
How was your day?
Mari

mymorgy 10-11-2006 03:30 AM

you are welcome. I am sorry I didn't come up with anything. It must be frightening but at the same time since they didn't find anything the last time that must be comforting. My medications have been upped including klonopin,(I take two miligrams usually now) and I think I am beginning to get a tick above my lip...who knows...at this point who cares lol
Anyways, do let us know what they say
Bobby

Nikko 10-11-2006 09:18 AM

Good Luck at the p-doc today. I hope you find some answers and get relief, check in afterwards.

Hugs, Nikko;)

Mari 10-11-2006 12:35 PM

Saw the pdoc this morning

First I got there more than an hour early by mistake and he was running behind. :confused: He saw me sitting and took me in ahead of people who understood how to read a clock :)
I told him about the Xanax withdrawal. The hard stuff lasted 2-3 weeks. He didn't seem concerned/interested since I was ok now and hadn't called him back then in the summer.

Then I asked him about the Calcium and Verapamil reaction. He said yes, they effect each other. Then he looked it up on his computer:
"calcium (esp calcium citrate) reduces the response of the Verapamil" and hence the anxiety, chest pressure, and paresthesia.

He told me to check other OTCs for extra Calicium that gets slipped in.
(I remember a sleep aid I saw that has Valerian root and Calcium. I also remember the food that has added calcium, including grape juice that I buy sometimes.)

When I asked if the paresthesia was dangerous, he said, "No." He practices neurology too. ........ Whatever.

I see my gp PA next week and will ask for a bone density test.
Maybe I don't have to worry about calcium.

Nikko 10-11-2006 01:06 PM

I don't know much about the OTC drugs and the interaction with our type of meds, guess I should check into it.

It's a good idea to see your PA too. Go easy, have a nice day.

Hugs, Nikko

p.s. I do know that grapefruit juice isn't supposed to be drank if you are taking Valium and also Zocar. Don't quote me, but I am sure I read that, plus it says it on my mom's zocar.

Mari 10-11-2006 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikko (Post 23865)
p.s. I do know that grapefruit juice isn't supposed to be drank if you are taking Valium and also Zocar. Don't quote me, but I am sure I read that, plus it says it on my mom's zocar.

http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/edible/lemon.gif http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/edible/lime.gif http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/edible/orange.gif
Yes, Grapefruit juice interferes with Verapamil too.
Also, Klonopin.

Eventually, the scientists might tell us that the grapefruit interaction extends to other citrus like oranges and limes -- we don't have the studies specific to them yet.
Mari

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/up...ate0206d.shtml

bizi 10-11-2006 05:00 PM

wow mari!

It continues to amaze me how things interact with each other.
Good that you are figuring this stuff out Mari.
Hope that your bone density comes out alright.
Osteoporosis is in my family...I take those chocolate calcium chews.
they taste great.

mymorgy 10-11-2006 05:06 PM

I also hope your bone density test comes out just fine...
take care
Bobby