NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Survivors of Suicide (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/)
-   -   The Recipe Thread (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/339-recipe-thread.html)

Alffe 08-31-2006 09:40 AM

The Recipe Thread

cause curious and I love to cook and cause the subject of suicide is so depressing. :p

One of Each Soup

l large boiling potato
1 med. onion, coarsely chopped
1 celery heart (inner pal stalks w/leaves)coarsely chopped
l large apple (preferably Granny Smith) peeled and coarsely chopped
1 firm-ripe banana, coarsely chopped (yes, I said banana)
1 pint chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 tbles. unsalted butter
1 rounded tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tbles chopped fresh chives.

Simmer vegetables and fruits in broth in a covered 3 quart heavy saucepan until very tender...about 12 mins. Stir in cream, butter, curry powder, and salt. Heat just until hot.(do not boil)

Puree soup in a blender until smooth. Thin soup with water if desired and serve sprinkles with chives.

This soup may be served hot or chilled and can be may 2 days ahead, chilled and covered.

Bobbi 08-31-2006 01:10 PM

Good idea! Alffe.

I'll see if I can think of one to share. I make some up as I go along so I have to remember what I put in the recipes to be able to share a few :).

Alffe 09-08-2006 08:19 AM

Garlic Paste

*edit required for privacy*

Curious 09-08-2006 04:11 PM

This is a basically no-fat cake with all the flavor. You'll never want to eat a store bought angel food cake again!

Chocolate Angel Food Cake

1 Cup cake flour
1/2 Cup baking cocoa
14 egg whites ( should measure 2 cups )
2 Teaspoons cream of tartar
2 Cups sugar
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract ( almond tastes good too)

Sift flour and cocoa together 3 x, so it's mixed well, set aside In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Sprinkle with cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Blend in vanilla. Sift about a 1/2 of the flour mixture over the egg white mixture; fold in gently. Repeat folding in the remaining four mixture by 1/4ths. Pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Bake at 325 for 1 hour. Turn off the oven, but let the cake sit in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove from he oven and immediately invert pan; cool. Loosen sides of the cake from pan and remove.

Curious 09-08-2006 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbi (Post 2305)
Good idea! Alffe.

I'll see if I can think of one to share. I make some up as I go along so I have to remember what I put in the recipes to be able to share a few :).

i'm the same way bobbi! i do watch when i am baking, but never when i'm cooking. drives my mother batty. she is a die hard cookbook cooker.

Bobbi 09-08-2006 04:55 PM

I thought of one - I made up (while at a friend's house, and since she can't stand bell pepper)...

Stuffed Tomato

Shove it! Not really; I just couldn't resist :D

The recipe is actually:

4 fresh Roman tomatoes (or however many tomatoes needed for people gonna be eatin' them).

Cut each tomato in half and clean out the center stuff (y'know, all that stuff inside tomatoes)

Make like a meatloaf stuffing; I add grated cheese along with the diced tomato stuff - minus the white stem part - and make meat ball shapes.

Fill the "shelled" tomatoes with the meatloaf-like stuffing.

Place the stuffed tomatoes in Muffin Tins (using paper muffin or cupcake things works too and makes for easier clean-up).

Bake the 'matoes at 375 degrees for 5-10 mins. and baste, then lower the baking temp. to 350 for approx. 10 mins. and baste;

Garnish the 'matoes with grated cheese (I use mixed - American and Cheddar). Reduce the baking temp. to 325 and cook until desired done-ness. (The 'matoes shouldn't fall apart.)

Serve over rice with a sauce such as Alfredo. Best served hot. Really hot. But not too hot :).

Curious 09-08-2006 05:09 PM

sounds yummy bobbi. :D i will deffinatly make these.

here are 2 things i do as an alternative to having regular meatloaf.

prepare your meatloaf however you like it. spread it about and inch to and inch and half think on a piece of plastic wrap. put mashed potatos in the middle.fold over sides and seal the ends. it's like a meatloaf mashed potato roll/ log. looks real cool when cut.

another is to make a good size meatball ( i use an ice cream scoop ) and put a cherry tomato in the middle. bake in muffin tins. i always use muffin tins when i make meatballs.

Bobbi 09-08-2006 05:13 PM

I'll have to try the recipes here when I get back from the shore. The room has a microwave, but I don't know how well things would turn out if I tried using that ;).

Some of the recipes look like they'd be especially good in cooler weather, so I'm saving them!

P.S.: While thinking about your meatloaf-'tato roll, Curious, I thought of a twist I give meatloaf. Make the loaf mix, and... put a thin layer on the bottom of a baking dish; I usually use a Pyrex loaf dish. Atop the layer of meat/loaf, add a thin layer of shredded red cabbage. Fill the baking dish by alternating layers of the meat and cabbage, only make sure the top layer is the meat. Cover the top of the dish (tightly) with foil. Cook at about 25 degrees lower than an all-meat meat loaf and for a longer duration. Periodically check (lift the foil) to determine when its fully "cooked" and ready to serve.

Alffe 09-09-2006 03:47 PM

Making me hungry ladies!

Texas Caviar

Dressing: 1 cup salad oil
1/2 cup cidar vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp.pepper

Mix in saucepan, bring to a boil and then cool.

Mix together: 1 cup chopped green onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped celery
1 small jar chopped pimento
1 small can Jalapeno peppers

Rinse and drain:
1 can pinto beans
1 can blackeyed peas
1 small can shoepeg corn

Combine all and refridgerate overnight. Drain before serving with dipping tortilla chips. I use Scoops.

Can double....keeps a week in fridge.

~scrabble 09-10-2006 10:29 AM

*wondering what 'shoepeg corn' is ...........

Alffe 09-10-2006 10:49 AM

Green Giant makes it....Its white, mildly sweet canned corn...I don't know why any white corn wouldn't work. This is an 11 oz can. :D

FeelinGoofy 09-11-2006 10:48 AM

These recipes sound YUMMY!!!!!!
Heres an EASY very rich tasting cake. Rebecca made this yesterday and between my husband and son, its almost gone today...

Gooey Butter Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 c melted butter
2 eggs beaten
3 c confectoiners sugar
1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese softened
2 more eggs

preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the cake mix, melted butter and 2 of the eggs. Pat into a 9x13 inch pan.
Beat confectoners sugar, cream cheese and remaining 2 eggs with electric mixer until well blended. spread over dough in pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Sprinkle with additional confectoiners sugar.

Usually the center of the cake will fall a bit.

Curious 09-11-2006 02:30 PM

thanks goofy!

i make something for dessert everyday. i think this one lil'monkey can make tonight! it might be a tad different since the only cake mix i have is lemon...but i'm sure it will work. i'll let you know.

i have the cake doctors cookbook. i get a lot of ideas there. super easy for lil'monkey to follow.

Curious 09-12-2006 01:21 PM

yep....D-lish!

hmmm...maybe choccy cake next time....

jingle 09-13-2006 08:37 AM

Banana-Walnut Chocolate-Chunk Cookies
From Living Magazine
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teasp. coarse salt
1/2 teasp. baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter) softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teasp. vanilla
1/2 cup mashed banana (about 1 large - use a RIPE one)
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped into 1/4" chunks
1/2 cup chopped walnuts toasted

Preheat oven to 375*. Whisk together flours, salt and baking soda in small bowl. Put butter and sugars in bowl of electric mixer with the paddle attachment: mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low. Add egg and vanilla. Mix until combined. Mix in banana. Add flour mixture, mix until just combined. Stir in oats, chocolate chunks and walnuts.

Using 1 1/2" ice cream scoop drop dough into baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing about 2" apart. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until golden brown and just set, 12 to 13 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks and let cool completely. Cool in airtight containers up to 2 days.

.................................................. ......
Apricot Cake

Drain a can of apricot halves -- save the juice.
Beat 1 very large egg until thick and lemon colored
Add 1/3 cup of apricot juice,
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract

Mix 2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
Mix into liquid stuff :)

Pour into greased/floured 8" cake pan. Cover with apricot halves (they will sink into batter - don't worry). Sprinkle with lots of cinnamon and sugar.

Bake 35 - 40 minutes at 350*

Curious 09-13-2006 08:56 AM

jingle...on the banana-walnut chocolate chunk cookies ( which thankfully i have the ingredients!) ...it says at the end...cool in airtight container up to 2 days...you mean i have to WAIT 2 DAYS to eat them? :p ;)

maybe i'll just have to eat the cookie dough...

Alffe 09-13-2006 05:03 PM

Brownies

Melt together: 4 squares Bakers Unsweetened chocolate
2 sticks butter

Add: 2 cups sugar - cool slightly

Add: 4 eggs, one at a time...beat each time

1 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp. vanella
2 cups walnut pieces

Bake in 9x13 pan. 350 degrees for appoximately 35 min. Toothpick for doneness. Only one pan to wash.

jingle 09-13-2006 05:47 PM

Not a Recipe :p

A hundred years ago when I had lots of company and had to carry food around - I used to do this....
Just make a recipe for a small (8" or 9" pan) batch or mix of brownies and add lots and lots of nuts but bake it in a 9 x 13" pan. Watch them carefully so the thin brownies don't burn. When its done slice into 3 large, equal slices.

Soften a half gallon of good vanilla ice cream so you can cut that into thick slices. Put the first brownie slice on a serving platter and top it with a slice of ice cream. Top that with another slice of brownie, then more ice cream then the last slice of brownie. Put the whole thing in the freezer so the ice cream gets solid again.

Start whipping some cream, add some sugar and a big spoon of baking cocoa so you get chocolate whipped cream. Use that to frost the brownies and ice cream. Let it soften a bit before serving.

Bobbi 09-17-2006 12:57 AM

Baked Zucchini - an original recipe by meeeee

I grew the zucchini in my veggie garden so I'm having to guess and the amt. and size (based on the ones I used):

6 medium zucchini (cut in half - length-wise)

Place with the sliced side down in a glass baking dish or bowl lightly coated in Extra Light Olive Oil

Cover with Foil (and poke small holes in the center to release some heat)

Cook at 375 degrees for 10 mins.

Turn each piece of zucchini and sprinkle (lightly) with grated cheddar cheese.

Cook at 325 for 20 mins., then, turn each piece and cook at 325 for 20 mins.

Remove zucchini and sprinkle lightly with grated Parmesan cheese. Cook at a "warm" oven temp. or remove and place in microwave for warming prior to serving. (The duration for "warming" or heating in a microwave will depend on what other dishes are being served and how cooked :). Just heat before serving the zucchini and serve hot.)

CoolAngel26 09-19-2006 06:15 PM

:D Alffe..

Hamburger recipe...

Ground beef
Mrs.Dash
Cheese
Purple onions..

Grill onion and melt cheese onto patty,then put it on a bun with condiments..by the way,this is my dad's recipe..so,if you don't like it...blame him.LOL!

I'll have to hunt for the bread recipe...I think Curious may have it..:D

CoolAngel26 09-19-2006 06:21 PM

Curious,I wonder if this is what you were looking for (banana bread recipe.)

CoolAngel26's Banana Bread

1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
3 mashed bananas
1 c. chopped pecans
3 T. buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt

Cream butter and sugar,add eggs and beat well.Add buttermilk in which the soda has been dissolved.Add flour and salt.Then add bananas and nuts.Bake
for an hour at 350.

Goes great with coffee.. Love,Kristin

Alffe 09-19-2006 06:48 PM

Yum yum!! say, are purple onions the same as red onions? :D

Doody 09-19-2006 07:26 PM

I NEVER look at the recipe thread because I SO don't cook! But I came in an saw CoolAngel with a recipe! YAHOO!!!!! Hi ya girl! I might even try that recipe!!!!

:D

CoolAngel26 09-19-2006 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alffe (Post 8909)
Yum yum!! say, are purple onions the same as red onions? :D

Yes,they are..I think they're cousins..:D

Doody 09-19-2006 07:44 PM

Fruit Cake :D

Ingredients:

* 1 cup water
* 1 cup sugar
* 4 large eggs
* 2 cups dried fruit
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon sault
* 1 cup brown sugar
* lemon juice
* nuts
* 1 bottle of whiskey

Directions:

Sample the whiskey to check for quality.

Take a large bowl. Check the whiskey again. To be sure it is the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink. Repeat.

Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again.

Make sure the whiskey is still okay. Cry another tup.

Turn off the mixer. Break two leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares?

Check the whiskey. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.

Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don't forget to beat off the turner.

Throw the bowl out of the window, check the whiskey again and go to bed.

Curious 09-20-2006 01:11 AM

doody, i have a recipe for fruit cake that has been handed down to me from my grandmother. except she used chops bits of gum drops. she made it during the depression. the cost of dried fruits was sky high, but the little bag of gum drops went a long way.

i make her recipe as a tradition once a year....but i am going to try your recipe this year!!!:D

Julie 09-20-2006 09:11 AM

My kids love this and so do I. It's great.

"Bapple” Bread

Ingredients
4 ripe bananas
1 cup sugar
½ applesauce
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the bananas in a large bowl and mash with an electric mixer. Stir in the sugar and let stand for 15 minutes. Add the applesauce and eggs and beat well. Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour into a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan that has been coated with nonstick vegetable spray. Bake for 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool on a wire rack.

Note: You can reduce the fat almost completely by using egg substitute for the eggs. The taste is the same but the texture will be a little heavier.

Julie 09-20-2006 09:14 AM

These are so good. Perfect for when you have to bring the dessert to a potluck.

Chocolate Mexican Wedding Cakes

Ingredients
½ cup toasted pecan halves (see note)
1 cup powdered sugar, divided
1 ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powdered (preferable Dutch processed)
Dash of salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
½ teaspoon vanilla extract, powdered sugar and ground cinnamon

Instructions
Place pecans and ¼ cup powdered sugar in work bowl of food processor, cover and process until nuts are powder fine. In medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt and nut mixture. Set aside.

In large mixer bowl, cream butter and remaining ¾ cup powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. On low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture just until mixed. Refrigerate dough, covered, at least 1 hour and preferably no longer than 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Measure dough by 1 ¼-inch scoops or scant measuring tablespoons and roll it between the well-floured palms of your hands to form 1-inch balls. Place balls 1-½ inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until set (the tops will dull slightly). Cool cookies on sheets 2 to 3 minutes.

For topping, roll in powdered sugar while still hot to coat heavily. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. Store in tightly covered container as long as 1 week or freeze as long as 3 months. Makes 3 ½ dozen.

Note: To toast nuts, spread in an even layer in a shallow baking pan. Place in 325-degree oven and toast 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally just until lightly browned. Remove from pan and cool completely.

Or toast in microwave: Spread 1 cup pecans in a single layer in a 9-inch glass pie plate and microwave on high (100 percent) power until toasted, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring every minute.

CoolAngel26 11-08-2006 10:00 PM

Green-bean casserole..mom's recipe

Green bean Casserole...:D

1 can (10 3/4 oz) of cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup of milk
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 pkg (9 oz.each) frozen cut green beans thawed and drained
or 2 cans (14.5 oz. each)
1 can (2.8 oz. each) French's French Fried Onions.

In a 1 1/2 qt.casserole, mix soup,milk,and peper.Stir in beans and 1/2 can of French-Fried Onions.
Bake,uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes or until heated through;Stir.Top with remaining onions. Bake for 5 minutes or until onions are golden.

Serves 6..

Oh,and for kicks,you can add a small can of mushrooms,and a small can of water chesnuts,while mixing casserole..(but,wait..that's CoolAngel's version..):cool:

Alffe 11-08-2006 11:09 PM

*grin...thanks...I love you...LOL..

Doody 11-13-2006 09:14 AM

Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner!

Keep those recipes coming please! :D

Alffe 11-13-2006 11:15 AM

Corn "Cake"

2 (15 oz) cans creamed corn
1 stick of butter, melted
4 eggs
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sour cream
2 cups finely grated cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
Transfer to a 4 to 5 quart buttered baking dish and bake 1 hr. toothpick
center for doneness. Serve in same casserole you baken in. Makes 12 servings.

I have on occasion substituted a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix for the yellow corn meal and it's really good....but takes a little longer to cook.

Doody 11-13-2006 03:32 PM

Cheese Cake

8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
8 oz. sour cream
1/2 c. sugar
2 t. vanilla

Mix with mixer, then mix in an 8 oz. tub of whipped cream.

Spread over graham cracker crust.

Chill & Enjoy!

Doody 11-13-2006 03:33 PM

This is so flippin good!

Celia's English Coconut Tea Loaf

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.

1 egg
1 1/2 cups milk (you can use skim)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (if I don't have any almond extract, I've just put in a little more vanilla)
1 cup shredded coconut

3 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar (you can substitute 1 cup Splenda)

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Combine the first five ingredients in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend for 30 seconds.
Pour blended mixture over the dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
Pour into loaf pan.
Bake for 70 minutes. Cool (or chill) before serving.

This recipe is from Marilyn Coughlin who runs the Hutchinson House Bed and Breakfast in Faribault , MN .

Doody 11-13-2006 03:35 PM

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 X 13-inch cake pan.

1 3/4 cups boiling water
1 cup quick oats, uncooked
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 TBLS cocoa
1 pkg. (12 oz.) chocolate chips

Pour boiling water over butter/margarine and oatmeal. Let stand 10 minutes. Measure flour, soda, and salt into a small bowl. NOTE: You can stir this batter by hand. Stir mixture until butter/margarine melts. Add brown sugar, sugar, and eggs. Mix well. Continue mixing as you add the dry ingredients. Stir in half the package of chocolate chips and cocoa. Pour into the pan. Sprinkle walnuts and remaining chocolate chips on top. NOTE 2: I add the cocoa to the dry ingredients and add all the chocolate chips and walnuts to the cake batter.

Bake for about 40 minutes. Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. The cake keeps well in the refrigerator or can be frozen. Serve with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.

Alffe 11-20-2006 06:38 AM

Ok Doody...I have a question about the cheese cake and the tub of whip cream....are we talking cool whip here or whipping 8 oz of heavy cream?

*whisper...I like to think about these things when beginning a new diet. :D

Doody 11-20-2006 10:16 AM

The person I got it from used regular old out of the tub whip cream, though I'm sure you can do what ya want! :)

FeelinGoofy 11-20-2006 03:39 PM

Cheddar Bread

CHEDDAR BREAD

2 C flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp onion sald
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 1/4 C grated Cheddar Cheese
1 egg
1 C Milk
1 TBS butter

combine flour, bkg pdrw, sugar, onion salt, oregano and dry mustard in a bowl.
combine egg, milk and melted butter. add to flour mixture, stir in cheese. Mix till moist. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes- 1 hour

My Dads Pumpkin Bread Recipe

3 eggs
2 C Pumpkin
1/2 c milk
2 c sugar
3 c flour
1 c oil
2 tsp soda
2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking pdrw
1 tsp cloves (i use 1/2)
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon ( i use 1)
1 c chopped pecans
dates and or raisins

combine ingredients. bake @ 350 for 1 hour makes 3 loaves

PUMPKIN PIE CAKE

1 box yellow cake mix
1 egg beaten
8 Tbs butter melted
1 can,(16 oz) pumpkin
3 eggs beaten
1/2 brown sugar
1/2 c granulated sugar
2/3 c milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c chopped pecans
4 Tbs softened butter

Measure 1 cup of cake mix and set aside to use in the streusel topping.
Using a wire shisk combine the remaining cake mix, 1 egg, and 8 Tbs butter. Press onto the bottom of a greased and lightly floured 9X13 pan
combine pumpkin, 3eggs, brown and granulated sugars, milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl and beat lighty until smooth. pour ove base mix.
combine 1/2 cup sugar, pecans, 4 Tbs butter and reserve cake mix. sprinkle over the top of the pumpkin mix. Bake @ 325 for approx 75 minutes, or until center is set. let cool refrigerate overnight

Curious 11-20-2006 03:47 PM

that pumkin pie cake....can i make it the day before? i'm doing all the cooking...and i'd like to get as much done the day before..and that cake looks YUMMY!!! an i hate to say it..but i always toss out some pumpkin pie no matter how good it is. my family prefers apple and of course...choccy. :D

duh....lmao..never mind...i didn't read the last line. i get the dork of the day award.

thanks vicky...i'm going to make this...or have lil'monkey make it. ((((hugs)))) and thanks!!

jingle 11-20-2006 03:54 PM

So very good to see you ((Vicky)) :) even better than a great big slice of cake ;)