NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Tourette Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/tourette-syndrome/)
-   -   Welcome Friends! Roll Call, Please. (https://www.neurotalk.org/tourette-syndrome/36-welcome-friends-roll-call-please.html)

Tessa 08-22-2006 06:20 PM

Welcome Friends! Roll Call, Please.

Well this is very strange being the first TS post at BT but I will post and welcome old and new friends.

Stop by and say hello. :D

Take care,
Tessa

mrsD 08-22-2006 08:24 PM

hello from mrsdoubtfyre

hi, this is mrsdoubtfyre's son posting for her - she's still on vacation in the middle of nowhere:

I just learned about this forum, and I'll be back soon, after labor day.

see you all soon!

Chemar 08-24-2006 06:18 AM

Hi Tessa :) Hi MrsD's son :)

onexweek1 08-24-2006 04:25 PM

just checking in

Hi Guys, Long time T/S Dad and used to read all the post from the old board. I'm so gald I found this and just wanted you to know I was here. Thanks.......

Tessa 08-25-2006 06:28 PM

Well....great to see some friends and posts! Welcome onex and hi to Mrs. D's son and Chemar!!! Looks like we may have BT back soon but in the meantime.....hello! :)

Tak care,
Tessa

Luke's Mom 08-29-2006 09:52 PM

Hi everyone!

Oldtimer here....from way back beyond the "Braintalk" name. My son Luke is 21 now and has had severe TS since about 8 years old. Seems like TS is just a noisy old friend now...but back in the day I cried so many tears on this board. I'm very glad this new forum is here until if/when the old boards and archives are back up. I bet we all won't take this virtual family for granted again for a while! :)

Anyway, the main reason for tracking you all down: Luke has recently voiced a renewed interest in medication. The week after he graduated from high school he stopped all meds and said "never again". His tics have actually been pretty manageable most of the time. But, recently he started at our local community college and his tics have been crazy bad due to the stress. And, he is finding himself (again) having trouble concentrating in class. He said, just today, "now I just want to feel better and pay attention better -- I could care less if people see or hear me. Can you find out if there's any new meds out there that might help a little?"

So, although Luke's probably taken them all over the years - from clonodine to orap to neurontin to tegretol - we are on a new quest to find something now that just might take the edge off. (And naturally we would come to you all first because our doctor isn't always the most forward thinking -- and usually just takes my 'mom' suggestion.)

So, any ideas?? Anything working great for adults? Anything new out?

Thanks so much for reading. I look forward to meeting you all.

Cheryl

Chemar 08-31-2006 06:59 PM

Hi Cheryl...........nice to meet you :)

I am not a fan of the prescription meds for TS simply because of the bad reactions my son had to the ones he tried. We switched him to alternative remedies 5 years ago and have never looked back.

However, I certainly do recognise and respect that there are other people who feel differently, and also many who have seen mainly benefit and not the bad side effects that we did on prescription meds.

I have heard from a number of people who have tried ABILIFY (aripiprazole) and seem to be pleased with it. It is mainly used in schizophrenia, but seems to help reduce tics etc. too

Do encourage your son to read up on potential side effects and also FDA advisories on it tho so that he can make an informed decision on whether to try it

whatever he decides, I do hope he finds the treatment that will best help him and sure hope you will stay in touch too.

clouds z 09-01-2006 10:51 PM

i wonder if lara will show up

Tessa 09-04-2006 06:21 PM

cloudz,

I hope that Lara comes by. Very strange trying to reconnect with old friends who are out there in cyberspcae, isn't it!!

I hope all my friends are well.

Take care,
Tessa

FeelinGoofy 09-09-2006 09:26 AM

Hello....
You guys probally dont remember me, i stopped posting at MGH quite a while ago. My sons name is Scott. Hes 16 now and his tourettes is pretty much under control since most of his hormonal changes have taken place :).

Alffe 09-09-2006 04:08 PM

LOLOL! Now it's crystal clear! (((Goofy)))

Curious 09-09-2006 10:59 PM

hehe...i wondered when you would figure it out. :p

Alffe 09-10-2006 11:41 AM

So I'm a little slow. :rolleyes:

Lara 09-12-2006 04:17 PM

G'day!

*waving

Wow, this was some journey, hey?

My feelings are below...

:confused: :mad: :rolleyes: :eek:

Alffe 09-12-2006 04:46 PM

Hooray!!! Did you get my email? You've been missed! :D

Chemar 09-12-2006 05:22 PM

YAY!!! It is Lara!!:p

sooo glad to see you :)

Lara, when you get a chance, could you maybe post your "It's OK to Tic" here. It is a simple yet profoundly valuable reminder for all of us as to what the priorities are!

mrsD 09-14-2006 03:39 PM

ditto YAY!!!

Lara is here... cool.

I am back from my vacation finally, and struggling with getting back into
civilization.

I have a pic of my son on Neuromuscular on the "Shirley" thread...take a look.

And this is Mr. Toad... who appropriated our cats' watering dish early each
morning before dawn, causing it to go dry quickly. It is a small self watering
type.

My husband found this huge toad, so I thought I would try a picture using my new
camera...a Sony 12x zoom Cybershot. We just bought it for a combined
Mother's/Father's day present for ourselves. Never had a digital before.
So it does have night settings, so I tried one out on Mr. Toad and his jacuzzi.
I didn't know what to expect, and the flash was really bright etc and disturbed him..I only got 6 shots off, this one is the funniest.

The view screen goes blank for about 5-10 seconds after you click the shutter, and the camera then puts "processing" on the screen, and then
voila!... a picture in the dark! :p

Chemar 09-14-2006 05:13 PM

HiYa Mrs D :)

It is good to see you too and oh my...what a large fellow Mr Toad is!:D
Guess he will be missing that early morning jacuzzi now that you are all back home.

Dory 09-14-2006 08:58 PM

roll call

:D Hi All,
Dory here- I'm mostly a reader..."lurker" sounds scary!
I have two boys with TS (11 and 9.)
Nice to find the new BT2!!

Take Care, Dory

Chemar 09-15-2006 09:29 AM

Hi Dory and welcome :)

Curious will provide the coffee but I got some yummy cupcakes:D

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...eycupcakes.jpg

Dory 09-15-2006 11:00 AM

:D Mmmm, Chocolate and Coffee- it's what I live for!!

Tessa 09-16-2006 10:18 AM

How great to see more folks here!! I've started a new job and have been SUPER BUSY!!!!!:eek: so haven't been here much.

Welcome back Mrs D and Lara!! The toad looks totally disgusted with all of the attention :p !

Welocme Dory....seems to me that you posted at the old BT?

It is so very heartening to see BT2 rising from the memories of the old BT.

Have a great day all! :)

Take care,
Tessa

PS Thank you to all who helped make this happen!

carolyn_lsc 09-18-2006 04:38 PM

Hi Everyone :)

I'm here now too.

For anyone that doesn't know me. I'm 21 with TS.

Carolyn

Chemar 09-18-2006 09:01 PM

Hiya Carolyn
great to see you here:p

FeelinGoofy 09-19-2006 08:08 AM

Dory,
Did i read in a different place here that you are from Oklahoma? Thats where i am!...... I have a son who is 16 with tourettes....
edited to say i just went back to the other thread and checked and it was a diferent "dorry". :o

Dory 09-19-2006 08:27 AM

:) Hi,
Yeah- it's a different Dorry. I'm in Ontario, Canada.
-thinking about changing my name to avoid confusion:D

Laurie 09-21-2006 09:47 AM

Very happy to find this!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone,. I hadn't been on Braintalk for several months and then when I needed it, it was gone. Very disconcerting. I'm really happy that this site is here. My son had a few months of really scary rages and refusing to take supplements. Right now, we are back on track. We even found a school with great lighting, wood floors and no chemical odors. He's not in yet and I am wondering how to bring up the rages. So far, there has only been one time, where he has raged outside of our home. How have other people broached this topic? This is a private school for gifted children. I am afraid that this would disqualify him and it is the only school that I have found that is not physically toxic to him. I am really tired of homeschooling Laurie

Chemar 09-21-2006 11:05 AM

Hi Laurie :) how nice to see you here.
If you happen to have contact with any other folks from BT do let them know about these forums too

I know we all have to do things according to what works best for us and our children, so my style may not be right for you, but I have always been really upfront and honest with school people about my son's needs and health etc
I am a bit of a mommy lioness when it comes to ensuring that all school personel that he comes in contact with understand fully about TS and the co-morbid conditions that he has, and I have found that this approach has really prevented any misunderstanding or incorrect accomodations etc.

Important tho to remember that our kids frequently dont "let it all out" when they are at school or in other social environments...they save it all up for us!!:p which is actually somewhat comfirting to me, that my son feels safe and able to jsut release it all when at home (obviously within limitations of the need to maintain some self control and respect for other family members)

sooooo
maybe just take a wait/see approach at first and then ask for a meeting with the principal and teachers to discuss those issues which seem to be relevant, of which I believe the explanantion about TS is usually necessary. If he is not exhibiting the rages at school, then IMHO leave well enough alone.

let us know how things go! and congrats at finding a school that sounds so great environmentally :)

Tessa 09-23-2006 01:12 PM

Hi Laurie,

How are you?

I agree with Chemar, however, being the realist I think I'd wait until after he started and settled in. That way they'll know him and be more invested in him. Kids at private schools have issues, too, but the schools do have the final say on admission so I'd wait just a bit.

Once he's started, see who the "point person" is....the guidance counsellor or adjustment counsellor and then set up a meeting.

Good luck and let us know how your son likes it.

Take care,
Tessa

Vrie 09-28-2006 06:34 PM

Saying Hi again

Hope everyone remembers me- been a long time for some of us. I've been around forever, just am not always talkative! I just found this board as here today!

Anyway, I have a 12 yo with ADHD, OCD, Sleep disorder, tics, etc. She's been variously dxed over the last 8 years or so with many different meds. The last thing that seems to be happening is that ADHD meds drive OCD but there is no other way to handle her ADHD, so she is on minimal adderal and clonidine at night.

I also have a 10yo son who is deaf in his left ear, wears aids, and has been dxed with TS. TS so far is not medicated and is mild mostly. This dx was in March finally.

Just figured I'd give the intro here briefly! I remember lots of your names!

Chemar 09-28-2006 06:43 PM

Hi Vrie http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/ak...smiley-066.gif

so glad you found us :)

R & K 09-29-2006 01:46 PM

Hi guys,

I changed my name a bit...I think most will still know me when they see my new username...I will pop in when I can to post...I have missed the old BT and I am happy to see everyone. John Lester did send out an email saying the old BT would be back soon...let's hope all of the previous posts will be there...so much information...a shame if it is lost! Take Care, Ronna

Chemar 09-29-2006 02:09 PM

Hi Ronna :D what a treat to see you here.

It would be great if you get some time (huh! time! what's that eh!! ;) ) to give a PANDAS 101 thread here. Yes, I agree it would be a shame to lose all that info on BT1 but,even if BT1 comes back online, many people will be staying here, or visiting between the two, and so it would be so helpful to have some good PANDAS posts here from folks like you who know what it is all about.

BTW, you can access the cached versions of your old posts at BT1
Here is a thread on info on this
http://forums.braintalk2.org/showthread.php?t=1699

I just didnt feel comfortable going in and taking your wealth of info and posting it here, so sure hope you will in whatever form time permits (time? time? there is that elusive thing mentioned again;) )

luv ya
Cheri:)

R & K 09-29-2006 03:53 PM

I will for sure try and put together a thread this weekend. HMMM...I can't seem to get to my old posts...I don't see the "cached" thing but I will keep trying.

mrsD 09-29-2006 06:56 PM

Hi Ronna...

Nice to see you found us!

No one seems to know or understand the glitch...the long time frame
for the OBT down. Sorry.

But it is great you found us! There is room in this world for more than one
BT! Doncha think?

Tessa 09-30-2006 10:06 AM

Welcome Vrie (I love the sound of that :) ) and Ronna. Glad to see you here!

Take care,
Tessa

White Horse 10-11-2006 10:22 AM

Return

Hi Everyone,

I had to change my name for Mustang Carole to White Horse. :confused:

I have 2 sons with tourette syndrome and more so hope to
add some pearls of wisdom to help others out there.

Take care,
White Horse :D

Chemar 10-11-2006 12:13 PM

((((Carole)))))
nomatter what your name, YOU are very welcome here! :p

Luke's Mom 10-12-2006 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolyn_lsc (Post 8073)
Hi Everyone :)

I'm here now too.

For anyone that doesn't know me. I'm 21 with TS.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn! Want to meet a sweet, handsome 21 year old young man from California?? He's studying to be a chef. Loves BBQing, cars, target shooting, and watching the History Channel. Enjoys nature and animals. :D :D :D

Luke's Mom -- obviously! ;)

carolyn_lsc 10-13-2006 06:19 PM

Hi Cheryl,

If Luke has email or messenger I'd be interested in talking to him. I don't want to put my email on here, but if you want to PM me or email me from this site that's fine.

Carolyn