NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   Il School Shootings~ (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/39086-il-school-shootings.html)

DM 02-14-2008 06:33 PM

Il School Shootings~

OMG! Northern IL University in DeKalb, IL had school shootings today. Some friends of ours are still waiting to hear from their daughter.

This is close to where Sandy (our Sandy) lives.

We are in shock as know many kids that go there. The gunman walked into a Geography class w/a shotgun. He killed himself and the news says 17 injured.

Please pray for these kids and their families....

SandyC 02-14-2008 06:42 PM

Chris and Nik are OK. Chris was in class when it happened and was on lockdown. He said they were scared the shooter may come into their classroom. Nik was in the dorms getting ready to go to class at the lecture hall. This is terrible and sick. I am sick to my stomach that I am not home. Nik is possible going home and Chris is going to his grandma's. I think Chris may need to talk to someone.

DM 02-14-2008 06:44 PM

I thought of your boys' right away, Sandy. This is hitting too close for comfort. One of our close friends' still cannot get ahold of their DD and they've already lost one DD to murder.

We are sick over it too. These things should NOT be happening anywhere.

Keep praying...........

SandyC 02-14-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisymay (Post 215795)
I thought of your boys' right away, Sandy. This is hitting too close for comfort. One of our close friends' still cannot get ahold of their DD and they've already lost one DD to murder.

We are sick over it too. These things should NOT be happening anywhere.

Keep praying...........

OMG. Tell them that the phone lines are jammed. I tried Chris and Nik so many times. I will pray she is OK.

DM 02-14-2008 07:04 PM

She's OK... They heard from her about 15 minutes ago. She's been at the hosp waiting w/some friends. She wasn't on campus when it happened.

Bannet 02-14-2008 07:36 PM

This is just awful. DM I'm glad your friends heard from their dd and Sandy I am glad your two boys are alright.

What is this world coming to!:confused: I feel just awful for these kids and their families.

SandyC 02-14-2008 08:02 PM

The four critically injured died. I just heard it on the news. OMG

Koala77 02-14-2008 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 215855)
The four critically injured died. I just heard it on the news. OMG

Thank you Sandy and others, for keeping us all updated with this terrible news. You've no idea just how much the media in other parts of the world (like Oz) have over exaggerated this tragedy.

Even it's true horror, the media have had me thinking so much worse.

For every person who has a child, or knows someone who has a child at that uni, my thoughts are with you all.......:hug:

SandyC 02-14-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koala77 (Post 215862)
Thank you Sandy and others, for keeping us all updated with this terrible news. You've no idea just how much the media in other parts of the world (like Oz) have over exaggerated this tragedy.

Even it's true horror, the media have had me thinking so much worse.

For every person who has a child, or knows someone who has a child at that uni, my thoughts are with you all.......:hug:

This is what my boys have told me. Four students have been killed. There were 22 shot all together. The shooter killed himself. He went into the lecture hall and used some students as a human shield and started shooting.

My oldest son was in class at the time on the other side of campus. They were in lock down. He got a text message from his friend that shots were being fired and that was all they knew. They were so scared because they had no idea where the shooter was. :( My youngest son was in his dorm. The lecture hall was where his church group used to meet up. His date tonight for v-day was in the lecture hall when it happened. He said v-day is canceled. :-(

karousel 02-14-2008 08:38 PM

This is horrible. All will be in my prayers.

Curious 02-14-2008 08:50 PM

http://dl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/3...jhrcvr5y2v.gif

soxmom 02-14-2008 08:56 PM

So incredibly sad.:( I pray for all the families.

Peace to everyone,

Soxmom

Chemar 02-14-2008 09:02 PM

Sandy I am so relieved that your children are ok and just heartbroken that there are more lives lost so senselessly to this kind of horrific tragedy:(

the news has just said a total of 6 dead including the gunman

my prayers are lifted for everyone being impacted by this:grouphug: and especially for the family and friends of those killed and injured

DM 02-14-2008 09:03 PM

The news just keeps getting worse and worse. I am so sad....

Curious 02-14-2008 09:13 PM

:hug: oh dm.......:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

watsonsh 02-14-2008 09:32 PM

So tragic. I will pray for victims and their families.

:hug::hug: DM. :hug::hug:

DM 02-14-2008 09:52 PM

There news just said 5 fatalities so far, besides the shooter.

I just can't help but wonder, WHY??? We have been in contact w/several of our friends and so far, their kids' that attend Northern are safe.

My cousin's DD attends there, but I haven't heard from them yet, no answer at their house.

Vonn07 02-14-2008 11:08 PM

Sandy ... I just saw and heard that it was at NIU .. so glad your boys are safe ...

DM - continued prayers for an answer ... :hug:

oldsteve 02-15-2008 04:28 AM

Makes me very sad.

It was breaking news. The last thing we want to hear. Unfortunately, these things seem to be more commonplace. Makes me wonder what we, as a society, did wrong. Glad that Sandy's kids are OK. And my prayers go out to the victims and their families.

Kitty 02-15-2008 04:57 AM

Sandy, I immediately thought of you when I heard the news. Thank GOD your boys are safe. It's so terrible the lives that were lost there.

You've had the week from he!! - between traveling to be with your Mom, Jim not feeling well and this I'd say you're due for a break. :hug:

Please keep us posted on any news you hear. I'm so sorry this happened but so thankful your boys are OK.

SandyC 02-15-2008 09:11 AM

Chris attended the midnight vigil and Nik went to stay at his friends house near our home. I feel so lost and confused. I wanted to be with my kids so badly. We were on the phone almost the whole night. Chris is a mess. His gf was in the building next to Cole hall and he couldn't get her on the phone. She is OK as well. All the kids so far that we know are OK. Many of the kids Chris and Nik grew up with are at this school. Nik's date for last night was in the hall when it happened. Her parents came up to get her last night.

This morning I woke up and the story was on the news and it hit me again. This time it hit harder and I shed a few tears. This could have been my children. Please continue to pray for all the victims and their families. :-(

Kitty 02-15-2008 09:29 AM

I just get a sick feeling everytime I hear an update on this tragic event. I know you must be torn between being there for your Mom and being back home for your kids. Life is so tough sometimes - but at least you know they are safe and OK. Please keep us posted. I'm so sorry for all that you're going through, Sandy. You're a strong person - hang in there. :hug:

FinLady 02-15-2008 09:46 AM

:hug::hug::hug: My heart and prayers go out to all the families and the victims of this.

Sandy, I am so glad your boys are ok.

BeckyD 02-15-2008 10:39 AM

I just heard the fatality count is now at 7. This senseless violence is too horrific to comprehend. I'm so glad to hear that our NT families are safe but sorry for what you've had to go through.
:grouphug:

DM 02-15-2008 10:55 AM

They are holding a press conference now and state that the shooter was a good student at U of I, and that he had been taking meds and had stopped taking it a little while ago.

The weapons, shotgun and 3 handguns were all his. He bought 2 of them from a gun dealer in Champaign. *where he attended school*.
He attended DeKalb in 2007.

It gets sicker by the minute.

kicker 02-15-2008 11:13 AM

Sandy, I'm so glad your boys are ok. Tragedy close up came too close. Tragedy did happened for other parents. My thoughts and tears are with them.

It's so scarey.

yeahbut 02-16-2008 07:54 AM

The whole thing is very sad - Daisy & Sandy I am so glad that everyone is physically fine that you know. The emotional mess that all these kids are going through and will go through is terrible. The college my daughter goes to held a vigel on Thursday night.

:hug:

SandyC 02-16-2008 08:34 AM

It's sinking in but now Westboro church is coming up to protest the funerals and NIU. What is wrong with people???? I have spoke to all the kids I know there to rise above these WBC members and show the world that love and compassion and respect will stand above all hatred.

Maryann, again I am so sorry for your friends loss.

Here is a pic of Chris from the Chicago Tribune where the students gathered at the midnight vigil Thursday. Chris is on the end with a black and white hat on.

Attachment 2342 Attachment 2343

DM 02-16-2008 01:33 PM

Thanks for sharing the pic, Sandy. As a Mom, even though you know your boys' are OK, it's probably good for your heart to see a pic.

Please tell your son's that everyone around our area is praying for theirr school, their friends and for the community and surrounding areas to get through this. My knees are getting a work out lately.

It's always been that the area kid's here go to Northern, Western or Univ of Dubuque *where DD went* It's just senseless that these things are happening and more and more frequent.....

JessieSue 02-16-2008 02:52 PM

Sandy, Dennis and I are praying for your boys and all the students there that they will prevail through this senseless act. They'll find comfort and strength in their faith I know you've lovingly instilled in them

whispers 02-16-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 215794)
Chris and Nik are OK. Chris was in class when it happened and was on lockdown. He said they were scared the shooter may come into their classroom. Nik was in the dorms getting ready to go to class at the lecture hall. This is terrible and sick. I am sick to my stomach that I am not home. Nik is possible going home and Chris is going to his grandma's. I think Chris may need to talk to someone.

Oh, dear. I am glad that Chris and Nik are OK . Well, scared but ok. I would have been very scared too. It is good for them to be with family. That is important. They may need to talk to someone. I got frightened just watching the news on TV. . Take care. God bless.

Prayers for all.

PolarExpress 02-16-2008 11:03 PM

Well, I went online to catch up on the news headlines of the day, and one of the first articles I saw says the same online gun dealer sold some of the stuff to this shooter that he ALSO sold to the VA Tech shooter..
I still don't know how to react to that, or what to say..

SandyC 02-17-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarExpress (Post 217467)
Well, I went online to catch up on the news headlines of the day, and one of the first articles I saw says the same online gun dealer sold some of the stuff to this shooter that he ALSO sold to the VA Tech shooter..
I still don't know how to react to that, or what to say..

That is sick and crazy. I didn't hear that. Wow.

The school is shut down until the 25th. Chris and Nik are going to come home to be with us. We are coming home Tuesday. Hopefully mom will be discharged by then.

SilverLining 02-19-2008 07:26 PM

I hope you have/had a safe trip home and that everyone is doing alright.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 217659)
That is sick and crazy. I didn't hear that. Wow.

The school is shut down until the 25th. Chris and Nik are going to come home to be with us. We are coming home Tuesday. Hopefully mom will be discharged by then.