NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Caffeine prevents Multiple Sclerosis "like" disease in mice (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/43369-caffeine-prevents-multiple-sclerosis-disease-mice.html)

SurvivingMSwithHOPE 04-11-2008 10:35 PM

Caffeine prevents Multiple Sclerosis "like" disease in mice

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0407162405.htm

I really need to stop subscribing to so many newsletters! I have drank lots of coffee for as long as I can remember.........I think this calls for a 2nd opinion!:p

:mfr_wha: :Scratch-Head:

Koala77 04-11-2008 11:13 PM

So why wasn't I born a http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...s/souris06.gif ?

sheena 04-11-2008 11:18 PM

Not so sure here. I don't drink coffee, but drink 2- 2 1/2L Mt Dew Diet everyday and have for over 15 yrs. I have MS.

SurvivingMSwithHOPE 04-11-2008 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koala77 (Post 256682)

LOL, that's what I was thinking!! :p

SurvivingMSwithHOPE 04-11-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheena (Post 256684)
Not so sure here. I don't drink coffee, but drink 2- 2 1/2L Mt Dew Diet everyday and have for over 15 yrs. I have MS.

Holy Mouse!! :p That's as much caffeine as in coffee!! Maybe more!:eek:

I don't care for it, but know a lot of people who do, and they say it's better than coffee for the caffeine effect.

weegot5kiz 04-11-2008 11:25 PM

yeah i read that it could help a while back, hope they are right i drink coffee:yikes:

sheena 04-11-2008 11:38 PM

I just hate the taste of coffee. I had it in college, but that was it. Mt Dew Diet all day everyday except when I was pg.in 2001. I drink all day, even in the car... hence I do drink a lot. But, I can't stand water, juice, coffee... I just drink Mt Dew.

MSCherokee 04-12-2008 06:50 AM

Too bad it didn't work for me - I've been drinking coffee since I was 9...for 30 years! LOL

Kitty 04-12-2008 07:53 AM

OK - I needed an excuse to drink 4 cups of coffee each morning.......:eek:

I'm not a mouse so it must not be working on me!! :p

lady_express_44 04-12-2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheena (Post 256697)
I can't stand water, juice, coffee... I just drink Mt Dew.

Mountain Dew, at least in the US, has lots of caffeine, so you should be safe. :D

Cherie

SandyC 04-12-2008 12:02 PM

Well, shoot, I'd better get the caffeine IV hooked up to Jim right now!

sheena 04-12-2008 01:17 PM

Your right Lady - Diet Mt Dew has more caffeine then any soda in the US, so I know I don't have MS. If by chance I for got to drink my daily dose one day years ago and got MS, I know I will soon be cured by my Soda. No worries here! :hug:

beautytransforming 04-12-2008 01:37 PM

I heard that. I was never big on caffein until my friend turned me on to lattes.... YUMMY!!!! Now, if only it could CURE MS, I'd be interested in THAT!!

SurvivingMSwithHOPE 04-12-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSCherokee (Post 256777)
Too bad it didn't work for me - I've been drinking coffee since I was 9...for 30 years! LOL

9???? WOW, I don't think I started till college or was it when my daughter woke up 30 times a night, I don't remember (cog-fog)

SurvivingMSwithHOPE 04-12-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 256942)
Well, shoot, I'd better get the caffeine IV hooked up to Jim right now!

LOL...........I'm next!!:p

SurvivingMSwithHOPE 04-12-2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herekitty1960 (Post 256787)
OK - I needed an excuse to drink 4 cups of coffee each morning.......:eek:

I'm not a mouse so it must not be working on me!! :p

Just 4?? Lol, Kelly, I go for the whole pot! You need the whole pot!:eek:

PolarExpress 04-13-2008 10:56 AM

So how much caffeine does one have to have in order NOT to get MS? I come from a true-blue Scandanavian family who had me drinking coffee and eating home-made donuts since I was 3, and I'm the only one to get it?? Some days it would pay to be a mouse..:)

Becky21 04-14-2008 12:36 AM

Some of these posts are so funny!:D:D:D

I drink a least 3 cups every morning and love Dr. Pepper and Cokes. Now that we are pretty sure that caffeine doesn't prevent MS maybe we should try chocolate.:p:):D

I haven't heard anything about caffeine or anything new since the bee sting theory years ago.

I do have something that will really sound bizaar but did anyone ever see the report about the woman with MS that was hit by lightning in her home in 1994 and it helped her walk? I worked with her husband for 6 years. True story!

Google MS and lightning...her name is Mary Clamser from OKC. I need to find out how she is doing. The story got lost in the local news when the Oklahoma City bombing happened.

PolarExpress 04-14-2008 04:32 AM

Wow Becky..I'm glad it worked, but getting hit by lightning is a bit more than I'm willing to try. I'd feel like Frankenstein's monster (remember the scene where he gets zapped by all the electricity from the lightning, and Dr Frankenstein screams "It's Alive!"? I'd kinda feel like that :D) Let us know if you find out how she's doing now. That would be great if she's still walking!

SallyC 04-14-2008 11:36 AM

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going to go stand out in the middle of a lightening storm with my large cup of caffeine.:D

Just in case..:p

SandyC 04-14-2008 11:37 AM

Ok, Jim is all hooked up and ready to be cured!

*tapping foot waiting, waiting, waiting...*

4boysmom 04-14-2008 03:22 PM

I prefer my caffeine in non-IV form. I have a 64 oz. mug that I fill daily, besides a few cans some days. Everyone teases me about having a large mug! But I tell them it is just the medium size. There is a 96 oz. mug out now!

And I fill it with Dt. Dew, the only thing that gets me through the day! I figure it may not have prevented me from getting MS, as the mice, but it most definitely is stopping exacerbations! That is my story and I'm sticking to it!!

Victor H 04-14-2008 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like I am tossing out the insurance, saying goodbye to Tysabri and starting my new medical treatments for $1.29/dose!

:D:D:D

Becky21 04-14-2008 05:54 PM

PolarExpress & SallyC,

When I first heard about the lightning cure, my mother wanted me to sit outside in a storm in a lawn chair. LOL She laughed but I think she was serious.:p

You two will have to try the lighning cure and see if it works because it would kill me since I have a pacemaker. :) See what happens after you get zapped and let me know. :D Well, on second thought, don't do it cause I don't want you turning into little Frankenstein's with MS and fried hair.:eek:

I have got to find out if Mary is still doing well. I quit work in 1993 before this happened but heard from some of my friends that she was doing fine a couple of years later. I had forgotten all about it until the caffeine thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarExpress (Post 258088)
Wow Becky..I'm glad it worked, but getting hit by lightning is a bit more than I'm willing to try. I'd feel like Frankenstein's monster (remember the scene where he gets zapped by all the electricity from the lightning, and Dr Frankenstein screams "It's Alive!"? I'd kinda feel like that :D) Let us know if you find out how she's doing now. That would be great if she's still walking!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 258226)
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going to go stand out in the middle of a lightening storm with my large cup of caffeine.:D

Just in case..:p

Erin524 04-14-2008 05:55 PM

Those lucky mice.

sheena 04-14-2008 07:53 PM

Becky - All, Just google the name Mary Clamser. I did and it was for real. The last up-date I saw was in 2007 where it was stated she still had no relapse... So. I assume all is fine there.

Please let the lighting strike me - at this point I'll take my chance. Life with MS is nothing but risks.

tkrik 04-14-2008 08:14 PM

Well, I guess I know where I will be during monsoons. In the pool drinking cokes and eating chocolate. LOL.

I didn't read the article but I would be interested in where this "magical" caffeine came from (chocolate, coffee, tea?).

BTW, I've had 3 cups of tea reading through this thread and 2 1/2 cups of coffee this morning and I'm pretty sure I still have the HUG, numbness, gait issues, and bladder trouble. How long does it take to work? LOL.

sheena 04-14-2008 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrik (Post 258539)
Well, I guess I know where I will be during monsoons. In the pool drinking cokes and eating chocolate. LOL.

I didn't read the article but I would be interested in where this "magical" caffeine came from (chocolate, coffee, tea?).

BTW, I've had 3 cups of tea reading through this thread and 2 1/2 cups of coffee this morning and I'm pretty sure I still have the HUG, numbness, gait issues, and bladder trouble. How long does it take to work? LOL.

Over 23 yrs based only on me

PolarExpress 04-14-2008 09:26 PM

That's it then..If it's storming, look for me out on the golf course!

http://dl8.glitter-graphics.net/pub/...wgiooativd.png

PolarExpress 04-14-2008 09:30 PM

Hey Vic!
Where do YOU get 1.29 caffeine???

the Bird 04-14-2008 09:36 PM

Don't drink caffeine.

Drink caffeine.

Don't drink caffeine.

Drink caffeine.

Don't drink caffeine.

Drink caffeine.

This is the story of my life!

I wonder IF this could be in the formative years...I didn't drink much if ANY caffeine then. And I would feel much less guilty about letting my little Dr Pepper lovers endulge!!!

Victor H 04-14-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarExpress (Post 258597)
Hey Vic!
Where do YOU get 1.29 caffeine???

Usually at my new doctors office: Starbucks !:D

But, more often then not, I get my fix from the local AMPM gas station where it is half of the price (kinda like a generic med for DMD's).
:winky:

Erin524 04-15-2008 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky21 (Post 258032)
Some of these posts are so funny!:D:D:D

I drink a least 3 cups every morning and love Dr. Pepper and Cokes. Now that we are pretty sure that caffeine doesn't prevent MS maybe we should try chocolate.:p:):D

I haven't heard anything about caffeine or anything new since the bee sting theory years ago.

I do have something that will really sound bizaar but did anyone ever see the report about the woman with MS that was hit by lightning in her home in 1994 and it helped her walk? I worked with her husband for 6 years. True story!

Google MS and lightning...her name is Mary Clamser from OKC. I need to find out how she is doing. The story got lost in the local news when the Oklahoma City bombing happened.

I've been hit by lightning!

Well, it was a glancing blow. I was in my garage (which has a cement floor with metal rebar in the cement) and this blast of lightning came down and hit the street light across the street from our house.

I was wearing my hair in a pony tail, and at the same time the bolt hit the street light there was a burning pain in the side of my head and I saw a little flash to my right (inside the garage!). The pony tail holder was the type that had a piece of metal holding the rubber band together. I had a burn on the side and back of my head for a week or two. It hurt a lot.

I think I'm lucky that all it did was burn the side of my head next to where the pony tail holder was. (oh, and it burned my hair...yuck! smell of burned hair is gross!)

I think what happened was that I was standing in some water that had puddled just inside our garage, and I was standing on cement with metal rebar in it. Somehow the electricity traveled from that bolt, either thru the ground, or it was attracted by the metal in the floor or the metal in my hairband. It could even have been regular static electricity. Freak accident stuff...scared the crap out of me when it happened.

PolarExpress 04-15-2008 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor H (Post 258634)
Usually at my new doctors office: Starbucks !:D

But, more often then not, I get my fix from the local AMPM gas station where it is half of the price (kinda like a generic med for DMD's).:winky:

Generic caffeine..You crack me up..http://dl3.glitter-graphics.net/pub/...joevlybgyn.gif

life well lived 04-15-2008 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrik (Post 258539)

Let me get this straight, you drank all of that this morning but are blaiming MS for bladder trouble? :D I'm not sure I'd get very far from the urinal after drinking that much. I'd have to just go sit down in the stall with a newspaper waiting for the flood.

In all seriousness, caffeine does help my headaches. Every year for Lent, I give up caffeine long enough to get over the addicition withdrawl (used to give it up for all of Lent) just to make sure that my headaches aren't from the caffeine. Once I know the caffeine isn't causing hte headaches, I go back to my 1-3 cokes a day. Gotta say, I'm a fan of the coke zero products, especially cherry coke zero

tkrik 04-15-2008 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by life well lived (Post 258755)
Let me get this straight, you drank all of that this morning but are blaiming MS for bladder trouble? :D I'm not sure I'd get very far from the urinal after drinking that much. I'd have to just go sit down in the stall with a newspaper waiting for the flood.

LOL. I was kidding about the tea. There is no way I could drink that much tea without getting such a buzz that it would make me a nervous wreck as well as have a huge blood sugar drop and an increase in tremors. Of course that in itself brings up another point.

Does anyone notice a difference in how they react with different sources of caffeine? For me 1 cup of tea effects me more than 2 cups of coffee. If I know that I really need to be on top of things in the afternoon, I will have a coke and that helps quite a bit.

Bird - I think you also brought up a good point. Is it during the formative years? The article does say prevent MS. We already have it so where does that leave one who already has it. They did discuss using this research to come up with meds but is that possibly a vaccine? It would be interesting to see which way this research goes and what becomes of it.

the Bird 04-15-2008 08:32 PM

I bet it is the formative years and we all had mean depriving parents, who wouldn't let us drink coke and Dr. Pepper, or coffee or tea!!! LOL

We need to form a club....

Oh yeah .... we already did!!! :P

SandyC 04-15-2008 11:24 PM

So, if I tell a lie and say the famous "Strike me is I am lying but substitute Jim's name he may walk again?

*tracking next storm*

Seriously, that is a cool story Becky! Electricity and MS, there is something to that.