NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Creative Corner (https://www.neurotalk.org/creative-corner/)
-   -   quilts (https://www.neurotalk.org/creative-corner/47584-quilts.html)

Vonn07 06-09-2008 08:21 PM

quilts

1 Attachment(s)
hi .. this is my first post of one of my quilts ...

used one yard of the specialty 'magic' horses to get 16 blocks at 9 inches cut, 8.5 finished ... then added lattice and cornerstones ...

hope you like it ... the finished sized is 54x70 ... and it is quilted with solid purple fleece ...

Koala77 06-09-2008 08:25 PM

Your quilt is just beautiful Vonn! I've always wanted a patchwork quilt but I've never had the money to buy one.

The closest I ever got was a set of cotton sheets that had a patchwork pattern on them.

Thank you for sharing your picture. Maybe one day I'll be able to buy a sewing machine and make nice things for my home once more.

Vonn07 06-09-2008 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's Megan's ... will be completed for July 12 ... this is only a 'half' of the quilt (get a better pix) ...

Vonn07 06-09-2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koala77 (Post 297073)
Your quilt is just beautiful Vonn! I've always wanted a patchwork quilt but I've never had the money to buy one.

The closest I ever got was a set of cotton sheets that had a patchwork pattern on them.

Thank you for sharing your picture. Maybe one day I'll be able to buy a sewing machine and make nice things for my home once more.

you really want a patchwork?? any color?? any size?? I have PLENTY of scraps ... hint hint ... ;)

and THANKS!!

Koala77 06-09-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vonn07 (Post 297084)
you really want a patchwork?? any color?? any size?? I have PLENTY of scraps ... hint hint ... ;)

and THANKS!!

Oh Vonn! Even if some-one like yourself offered to make me one, I don't have the money to pay them (Disability pension), and I don't take things for nothing!

........but I thank you so much suggesting it. That was a really sweet thing to do. :hug:

Vonn07 06-09-2008 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a christmas table runner and 2 placemats (I actually had made 4 but only 2 fit in the pix!)

Vonn07 06-09-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koala77 (Post 297094)
Oh Vonn! Even if some-one like yourself offered to make me one, I don't have the money to pay them (Disability pension), and I don't take things for nothing!

........but I thank you so much suggesting it. That was a really sweet thing to do. :hug:

but, what if you received it as a gift from a charity program??

ewizabeth 06-09-2008 08:58 PM

Hi Vonn,

Your quilts are beautiful! :)

Vonn07 06-09-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewizabeth (Post 297125)
Hi Vonn,

Your quilts are beautiful! :)

thanks, Wiz ...

thought I needed a bit of encouragement right about now with figuring out the move, etc ..

Koala77 06-09-2008 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vonn07 (Post 297110)
but, what if you received it as a gift from a charity program??

Thank you Vonn, but not at this stage.

Your quilts are very beautiful, and when I'm in the position to buy one I hope you'll permit me to order mine from you! It was sweet of you to offer though, and I am very grateful. :hug:

Vonn07 06-09-2008 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's a tote bag ...

Vonn07 06-09-2008 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
table runner ...

weegot5kiz 06-09-2008 10:02 PM

debbie wants to buy the tote bag no joke am serious

your quilts are beautiful vonn

Curious 06-09-2008 10:02 PM

gorgeous vonn!!!

do you have an online store or thought of setting one up?

we now have a members mall and i know these would go over great!

i love to quilt. not fancy stuff. i have never tried, but would like to.

my favorite was one i made out of old jeans. it was all denim squares sewed so the salvages were on the outside. it got a ll fraid and soft. it was a heavy quilt, which i loved.

FinLady 06-10-2008 07:48 AM

Good job, Vonn. You've got a talent I wish I had. I'm all thumbs when it comes to this stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Vonn07 06-10-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weegot5kiz (Post 297207)
debbie wants to buy the tote bag no joke am serious

your quilts are beautiful vonn

Frank ... this was my first .. using a pattern ... and I figured out a simpler way and using upholstery fabric which is very colorful and more sturdier for the abuse totebags go thru ... thanks!!

Curious ... I stick with simple ... working on setting up a website ... my goal is to make quilts for children with disabilities ... and the teal quilt actually has lace sewn in .. and was a bit putsy .. but WORKED and I love it ... and I think little girls will too! (children: 8-12) ... and then grow from there -- yes, starting my own non-profit organization to reach out to those in need!

I'm a straight stitcher myself!! will talk more ... thanks!!!

Jenn - thanks .. I use to be all thumbs ... but I needed to pay bills last summer ... and this was my only avenue to work at home without stress ... now I need more room ... thanks!!

Kitty 06-10-2008 10:44 AM

Vonn, you're very talented!! I wish I could sew. My Mom used to be able to sew up a storm - made everything from clothes to quilts. I still have two of her quilts.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful creations with all of us!! :)

Kelly

Vonn07 06-10-2008 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
someone mentioned a jean quilt ... they are awesome .. but very heavy and hard on your machine ... here's one I made last year ... (it's in Vermont now!)

Vonn07 06-10-2008 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this one was made for Mandi & Eric for their wedding last summer ... purple and golden/brown ..

p.s. .. this is made with only 2 colors .. and one block pattern - 16 blocks .. and when they are next to each other, make another pattern!

tkrik 06-10-2008 07:59 PM

Vonn - These are great. I really like them. I love the colors of the blue one. (Hey, I'm partial to blue. LOL)

watsonsh 06-10-2008 08:47 PM

Vonn,

I am blown away by the beauty of your work.

Did you say you do custom orders?

Vonn07 06-10-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrik (Post 297879)
Vonn - These are great. I really like them. I love the colors of the blue one. (Hey, I'm partial to blue. LOL)

Well, Tricia .. this is ALL jeans ... I have some that I still have left ... still have another jean quilt that I need to get a pix of ... any color works for me!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelley (Post 297924)
Vonn,

I am blown away by the beauty of your work.

Did you say you do custom orders?

Hey Shelley .. aw... shucks .. thanks!! custom?? as in what?? size? colors? ...

I usually still with only 2 or 3 colors, simple blocks ... and backing with fleece ... what do you have in mind???

Quote:

Originally Posted by herekitty1960 (Post 297486)
Vonn, you're very talented!! I wish I could sew. My Mom used to be able to sew up a storm - made everything from clothes to quilts. I still have two of her quilts.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful creations with all of us!! :)

Kelly

Hey Kelly .. my mom use to make doll clothes for me ... but not quilts .. after talking with my doctor on friday on how I'm able to control my stress with quilting .. she was very impressed .. and didn't see any of my work yet ...

I have more to add ....

snoozie 06-10-2008 11:22 PM

Hi Von, I love your quilts!!! I am joining the quilting club at church and they all said they would teach me. I am so excited to learn something new...Sue

Bobbi 06-11-2008 04:32 AM

In a word: Wow! Beautiful quilts.

CayoKay 06-11-2008 07:05 AM

lovely work, Vonn!

especially the bluejean quilt.

like TK, I'm partial to blue.

:hug::grouphug::hug:

Vonn07 06-11-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoozie (Post 298055)
Hi Von, I love your quilts!!! I am joining the quilting club at church and they all said they would teach me. I am so excited to learn something new...Sue

good for you!! I will eventually be teaching quilt classes ... made up some pretty easy patterns ... and stress-free ... getting together with others is very encouraging!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbi (Post 298167)
In a word: Wow! Beautiful quilts.

thanks - it's such a blessing to me to FINISH and then give them away!! (and then my mind starts racing - what can I start next!!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CayoKay (Post 298215)
lovely work, Vonn!

especially the bluejean quilt.

like TK, I'm partial to blue.

:hug::grouphug::hug:

blue is a fun color to work with .. especially for the christmas/holiday ... I have some wonderful blues to make runners and things outta!! thanks!!

Vonn07 10-18-2008 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally put together my profile with the quilts, paintings and calligraphy work that I do ... hope you stop in!

here's one:

Koala77 10-18-2008 04:05 PM

That's another lovely one Vonn, but you know how much I love your work! :D

Thank you for sharing them with us in your profile album.:hug:

Vonn07 10-21-2008 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks, Anne ... here's another one::

DM 10-21-2008 07:57 PM

You are so talented Vonn! Gorgeous work.

who moi 10-21-2008 08:59 PM

thank you so much for sharing your beautiful work, Vonn...

:D

Vonn07 10-22-2008 11:17 AM

thanks ... just want the quilts to look fun and colorful to bring a smile to a child ...

Momma's Kids 10-22-2008 04:44 PM

The blue with light blue and white is that a log cabin pattern? I really like that one best. I like them all, but that one is my favorite...

Would you like a huge quilt top that is really really old ...I have several that belonged to my MIL that died...they need backing that's all.
They were made of flour and sugar sacks...more of a keep sake...

Would look good on a light house wall as a hanging...just let me know if you do.

Vonn07 10-24-2008 10:22 AM

the 'jean' quilt ... yes, it is another version of the log cabin .. one side is the same fabric and the other side is jean .. depending on how I turned them made this pattern row by row ...

the quilt tops would be great ... I can make them into wall hangings and then sell to raise money for the quilt program .. and make more quilts for kids!!

PM me whenever you're ready to mail them out ... where's home?? ship the cheapest way ... and I'll send you the address for the quilt program!! THX!

Curious 10-24-2008 10:28 AM

i love them all vonn!

i made one out of jeans years ago. just basic squares. i sewed it salvage edge out. lol...remember those jeans from the late 70's early 80's that were made from squares like that? my inspiration. 80's rocker chick here. :p

i'm making my bears again. they are all overe my living room! :eek: :D

Momma's Kids 10-24-2008 11:06 AM

Curious...your avatar reminds of monkeys we made from men's work socks...I would love to find that pattern. Do you have pics posted of your bears. I love making things, just can't do it as often.

I feel I need to spend the time when able to clean...:( But then I sho do feel good when I look at how good it looks...but I am never able to get it all done in a day.lol

Curious 10-24-2008 11:53 AM

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread57145.html

here is link to some pictures of my bears cok.

i'll take a look and see if i can find a pattern for sock monkeys. i was a leader of one of my daughters girls scout troups. they loved making sock monkey's. :D

i always feel good when i am making something. even if it takes me days. it's relaxing and rewarding to make something.

:hug:

Vonn07 10-24-2008 11:57 AM

thanks, Curious ... the jeans are hard to sew together and gets really, really heavy!! if I ever make another one ... I'll make every other BLOCK jean or something ... it really does a number on the machine!!

wasn't that style called the "frayed" look????

and ... I LOVE your bears!!! you go, girl!!

COK ... the sock monkey pattern can be found at a quilt shop (in most instances) ... the quilt shop in Menomonee, Michigan (Quilt Haven) ... has a good supply of patterns!

Momma's Kids 10-25-2008 07:24 PM

Curious...love the bears, bet those are fun to make. Kids love those things...

Vonn...thanks, I will see if they have an online shop...should be able to find one. I live in a very small rural area, Wal-Mart didn't have a pattern or if they did I missed seeing it in the books.

I made several of the bunny with the flared skirt dresses, they had really long ears...my pattern didn't move with me.lol I had this rubbermaid ten gallon container with patterns and no one knows why it was not with my other stuff.

There were patterns in there for a rooster toaster cozy, patterns dating back to the 50's. They were given to me by an insured's daughter...

Curious 10-25-2008 08:22 PM

i found the pattern. free online!

http://lennytaylor.freeyellow.com/Monkey.htm