NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Food Court (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/)
-   -   Apple recipes? (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/53716-apple-recipes.html)

braingonebad 09-05-2008 03:50 PM

Apple recipes?

I don't know what kind they are, but my apples are just about ready and I need recipes!

These are crunchy little sweet/tart ugly things and this tree is over 80 years old. I love them just for eating, they make awesome apple sauce and I've used them in pies (but I don't have a great pie recipe anymore).

AfterMyNap 09-05-2008 07:34 PM

Are they Macs, Cathy? I go on an all apple and crunchy peanut butter diet during Macintosh season. I LOVE EM!!!!!

I missed last year because, like an idiot, I went on a trip!:Bang-Head: ;)

Just cook them a little and freeze them as is with a light honey-butter glaze. They're excellent warmed up over just about anything all winter long.

Koala77 09-05-2008 08:07 PM

Apple Jelly with or without Blackcurrents
Preserved Apples
Stewed Apples
Apple and Tomato Chutney
Apple Cider....................say no more! :D

AfterMyNap 09-05-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koala77 (Post 362630)
Apple Jelly with or without Blackcurrents
Preserved Apples
Stewed Apples
Apple and Tomato Chutney
Apple Cider....................say no more! :D

:eek: BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!

Taffy 09-05-2008 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterMyNap (Post 362604)
Are they Macs, Cathy? I go on an all apple and crunchy peanut butter diet during Macintosh season. I LOVE EM!!!!!

I missed last year because, like an idiot, I went on a trip!:Bang-Head: ;)

Just cook them a little and freeze them as is with a light honey-butter glaze. They're excellent warmed up over just about anything all winter long.

Yeah...but you met me, making it all worth it!

Say it was worth it.:mad: I'll smack you. I'll smack you hard!:mad: Don't make me!:mad:

AfterMyNap 09-05-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy (Post 362653)
Yeah...but you met me, making it all worth it!

Say it was worth it.:mad: I'll smack you. I'll smack you hard!:mad: Don't make me!:mad:

Hmmmm. Let's not forget Taffy apples! Just put the Taffy into a double boiler...

Taffy 09-05-2008 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterMyNap (Post 362665)
Hmmmm. Let's not forget Taffy apples! Just put the Taffy into a double boiler...

Yum...say....:mad:

I love Apple Crisp!:D

Twinkletoes 09-05-2008 11:10 PM

Here is my Apple Crisp recipe:

2 C sliced, pared, baking apples (I use Granny Smith)
1/2 C brown sugar
1/4 C. Flour
1/4 C. rolled oats
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3 Tbsp. soft butter

Heat oven to 350 deg. Place prepared apples in greased 9x5x3" loaf pan. Blend remaining ingredients until crumbly; spread over apples.

Bake 30-35 min. until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.

I took this to my office dinner at the boss's house tonight. Served it w/vanilla ice cream: It was a hit!

(I tripled the recipe and baked in a 7x13" pan)

Koala77 09-06-2008 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterMyNap (Post 362638)
:eek: BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!

I have a small feeling that I may be missing something here........!:confused:

Not really sure what made me feel like that but I guess you could say that I feel it in me water........

weegot5kiz 09-06-2008 02:58 AM

did she smack you if not you are ok Anne

We cant make enough apple crisp here omg we are such pigs with apple crisp, and apple fritters

AfterMyNap 09-06-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koala77 (Post 362889)
I have a small feeling that I may be missing something here........!:confused:

Not really sure what made me feel like that but I guess you could say that I feel it in me water........

Anne, Anne, Anne. We in Michigan are very proud of our enormous and outstanding apple crops. Washington state is but a drop in the bucket! To tomatoize even one of these utterly perfect apples is a SIN!!!!!!;)

daniella 09-06-2008 01:51 PM

Hey. I am from Mi too. Do you ever go to Franklin Cider Mill. I think there donuts have little bits of apple in them. Anyhow I can't wait till aplle crisp come out. They are my favorite.
My ideas
Apple muffins
Apple pancakes
Carmel apples
Baked apples

AfterMyNap 09-06-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniella (Post 363068)
Hey. I am from Mi too. Do you ever go to Franklin Cider Mill. I think there donuts have little bits of apple in them. Anyhow I can't wait till aplle crisp come out. They are my favorite.
My ideas
Apple muffins
Apple pancakes
Carmel apples
Baked apples

WOW! Franklin! Every year of my early life! Until 10 years ago when my parents finally got some sense and got out of there! NO ONE on earth has EVER come anywhere close to the cider & donuts at Franklin! My old friends & I reminisce about it every year! Once, I even flew to CA with a frozen gallon for some old friends. How lame is that!?!

Many, many times we risked life an limb to ride our bikes down into that horrible intersection! LOL, thanks for the memories!

soxmom 09-06-2008 03:23 PM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm apple cider donuts , piping hot from the oil,
yummy.:D

I also make apple bread which has more apple than bread...yummy:)

Twinkletoes 09-06-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxmom (Post 363118)
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm apple cider donuts , piping hot from the oil,
yummy.:D

I also make apple bread which has more apple than bread...yummy:)

So, you're going to share that recipe with us, right? :rolleyes:

*uncontrollable salivation going on here*

yeahbut 09-06-2008 04:28 PM

it's almost apple time here in Maine too.... can't wait to have some apple crisp. Has got to be my all time favorite. My dad loves apple bread pudding!

braingonebad 09-07-2008 08:30 AM

Sox, you are gonna share the apple bread recipe, aren't you? Purty please with apples on top?

Daniella - we used to make apple pancakes, but I forgot all about that.

:o

Yum!

And apple oatmeal - even oatmeal is yummy with apples in it.

Good ideas everyone. Keep em coming. If you don't have the recipes I'll look em up.

woodhaven 09-07-2008 06:15 PM

Fresh Apple Dessert

5 c apples sliced thin
2/3 c sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Stir apples in mixture until well coated. Set aside.

In a large pyrex, (9 X 9 or so)melt 1 stick butter. Make batter of:
3/4 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 c sugar
3/4 c milk

Mix together and pour pastry over melted butter, then spoon apples on top. Bake at 350 for 45 min to 1 hr. (This is great alone or with vanilla ice cream)

Hope you like it.

Taffy 09-07-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterMyNap (Post 363009)
Anne, Anne, Anne. We in Michigan are very proud of our enormous and outstanding apple crops. Washington state is but a drop in the bucket! To tomatoize even one of these utterly perfect apples is a SIN!!!!!!;)

Ah Nappy, there you go dreaming again.

We all know that Washington State is #1 in Apple production.

Michigan is ... oh... maybe #3 on the list. Maybe.....

AfterMyNap 09-08-2008 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy (Post 363940)
Ah Nappy, there you go dreaming again.

We all know that Washington State is #1 in Apple production.

Michigan is ... oh... maybe #3 on the list. Maybe.....

We are #3 on the quantity list but our apples TASTE good, not just look pretty. pfft.

China has the world's biggest apple crop by leaps and bounds. Someday I need to get down there and see what an apple paddy actually looks like.:confused:

yeahbut 09-08-2008 02:39 PM

I got me an apple crisp cooking as I type.... just had to after reading this thread the other day, couldn't get it off my mind. Made with apples right off the back tree!

AfterMyNap 09-08-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahbut (Post 364290)
I got me an apple crisp cooking as I type.... just had to after reading this thread the other day, couldn't get it off my mind. Made with apples right off the back tree!

*dialing phone*

Yes, Amazon? Send that coffee machine to Maine, I have a trade to make!

yeahbut 09-08-2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterMyNap (Post 364306)
*dialing phone*

Yes, Amazon? Send that coffee machine to Maine, I have a trade to make!

:Dancing-Chilli: cool - I will trade with ya!

Curious 09-08-2008 04:44 PM

brain, what about drying them?

i have a food dehydrator that i use all the time. i buy fruits and veggies in bulk when on sale. plus frieds with gardens that have an abundance "unload" on us. :D

dried apple's are a family fave. very healthy snack. plus you can hydrate them later and use them in crisps or other recipes.

they last for months sealed in zip lock bags.

Taffy 09-08-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterMyNap (Post 364103)
We are #3 on the quantity list but our apples TASTE good, not just look pretty. pfft.

China has the world's biggest apple crop by leaps and bounds. Someday I need to get down there and see what an apple paddy actually looks like.:confused:

But do you have Aplets and Cotlets? Does China?

The famous fruit & nut confections? Huh? Huh?

daniella 09-10-2008 07:02 PM

I heard apple crisp apples are in the stores. Those are my favorite. Anyhow here is a whole wheat apple pancake recipe
INGREDIENTS
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups fat-free milk
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 medium apple - peeled, cored and chopped

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Combine the eggs, milk, honey and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Add apple.
Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto a hot nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown.

braingonebad 09-12-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curious (Post 364336)
brain, what about drying them?

i have a food dehydrator that i use all the time. i buy fruits and veggies in bulk when on sale. plus frieds with gardens that have an abundance "unload" on us. :D

dried apple's are a family fave. very healthy snack. plus you can hydrate them later and use them in crisps or other recipes.

they last for months sealed in zip lock bags.

Yep, I'm gonna do that too! We've already dried who knows how many peppers - they work great in soup or chili. Apple chips are one of my faves too.

I made the apple crisp yesterday - YUM!

Today I made a pie and if I do say so, it is the nicest looking pie I ever made. Can't say as to the taste yet cuz we haven't cut into it. So you might wanna wait to make that call to Amazon, AMN.

:wink:

AfterMyNap 09-12-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braingonebad (Post 367247)
Today I made a pie and if I do say so, it is the nicest looking pie I ever made. Can't say as to the taste yet cuz we haven't cut into it. So you might wanna wait to make that call to Amazon, AMN.

:wink:

Hmmmm... you're a lot closer than Maine...:cool:

braingonebad 09-13-2008 09:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Way closer.

*Holding warm pie out window so AMN can smell it*

Tell ya what, just come on over and I'll plate you up a slice.

AfterMyNap 09-16-2008 07:20 AM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....:yahoo:

befuddled2 09-20-2008 10:53 PM

Some had sent me a link about apple recepes. I hadn't checked the link out so I'm not sure what it's about. Anyway here's the link.

http://cooking-with-apples.com/

Did someone say apple cobbler? Yum, yum.

befuddled2