NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   Want to put some pics on a cd rom thingee (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/55585-pics-cd-rom-thingee.html)

MelodyL 10-04-2008 03:23 PM

Want to put some pics on a cd rom thingee

Okay!!

My niece send me photos of me and Alan when we used to weigh 300 plus pounds. I never laughed so hard in all my life.

Alan wants me to copy these things from my "my pictures" folder to a cd rom so we can take it to the Kodak store and print them out.

Now I've only burned Audio files to a CdRW.

And the only cd rom thingees that I have in the house are MEMOREX, 4x rewrite speed CD-RW thingees.

So I took one, and placed in my Lightscribe DVD Writer/Cd-Writer thing that's in my computer. I actually have two cd rom drives. One says Cd-rom and the other is the Lightscribe thing.

I brought up the picture (this time it was in something called a Window Fax viewer) and on the bottom, it gives you lots of options.

I clicked on "save it", and I chose Drive E (which I believe is the Lightscribe thing). It kept saying "audio drive", or something to that effect.

Then when I thought I copied it, I went to My computer, I clicked on Drive E, and on the screen it gave me

Files waiting to be copied (and there was the picture),

and then it said "Files on the cd", and it said "One track".

So is this CD Rom thingee that I have in the drive, well is it the correct kind of thing to put photos on, or do I have to purchase some special cd rom thingee that you can copies photos to?

And if I have the wrong thingee, what do I need to buy? and where do I buy it? Maybe the Kodak guy sells the cd roms things?

I have no clue. Thanks much.

Jomar 10-04-2008 04:05 PM

I never have figured out the xp version of CD burning ..

I downloaded a program called Ashampoo burning studio 6 {you can get trial pgms of newer versions - but i found the 6 that was free.
http://www.download.com/Ashampoo-Bur...-10776287.html

I tried a few other burning programs and this one was about the easiest to use - does CDs, DVDs, back ups etc.

Or maybe someone can tell us both how the windows XP burning works LOL

MelodyL 10-04-2008 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo55 (Post 382516)
I never have figured out the xp version of CD burning ..

I downloaded a program called Ashampoo burning studio 6 {you can get trial pgms of newer versions - but i found the 6 that was free.
http://www.download.com/Ashampoo-Bur...-10776287.html

I tried a few other burning programs and this one was about the easiest to use - does CDs, DVDs, back ups etc.

Or maybe someone can tell us both how the windows XP burning works LOL

Oh, I just remembered. I have cd burning software on my computer.
I should have brought up that software and try doing that.

but am I using the correct cd rom thingee??

thanks, Melody

weegot5kiz 10-04-2008 05:34 PM

why not open explore on your windows and drag the files to the drive the disc is in?

right click the start button and click on explore find the folder your pics are in, probably a sub folder of 'my documents' click on that folder, the files in that folder will show up on right side of screen and then on left window scroll down to the cd drive at the bottom and from right side drag the pics you want to the cd drive on left side, when you drag the file right click the mouse and when you drag it to the cd folder at bottom release mouse it will say move or copy click copy

jeanb 10-04-2008 11:39 PM

how about using a thumb drive?

Get one of those little "thumb drive' (aka 'flash' drive) - insert it in a USB port. Then drag & drop your files onto it.

A thumb drive is portable memory storage. It is re-writeable and holds its memory without a power supply, unlike RAM. Thumb drives will fit into any USB port on a computer.

:o

weegot5kiz 10-05-2008 06:58 AM

good idea Jean and mel you could bring the thumb/ flash drive to the photo place
cool look what i foundhttp://i429.photobucket.com/albums/q...flashdrive.jpg

Mel more than likely they will look like this though
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...lashDrive7.jpg

MelodyL 10-05-2008 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weegot5kiz (Post 382810)
good idea Jean and mel you could bring the thumb/ flash drive to the photo place
cool look what i foundhttp://i429.photobucket.com/albums/q...flashdrive.jpg

Mel more than likely they will look like this though
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1...lashDrive7.jpg

So I buy the thumb thing, or the flash drive, copy the photos and go to the photo place?

But tell me something, how come it would not copy to the MEMOREX 4x cd rom rw thingee? I'm still going to try and burn it using my burn software (whatever the heck THAT is). Oh god, all I wanted was 3 old fat photos of me.

Want to see one? I was such a full figured goddess back in the day!!!

lol

Thanks much

weegot5kiz 10-05-2008 08:01 AM

you really dont have to burn anything just drag files to the cd drive folder and copy them there and it will be done, i neve use a program to make data or pic cd's

to answer you yes take the flash drive in and they can plug it in to their machine and read it

MelodyL 10-05-2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weegot5kiz (Post 382834)
you really dont have to burn anything just drag files to the cd drive folder and copy them there and it will be done, i neve use a program to make data or pic cd's

to answer you yes take the flash drive in and they can plug it in to their machine and read it

I did the copy thing. I put in the memorex 4x thing into the Lightscribe thing. I copied it. All I get now is a balloon at the bottom right of my screen telling me that I have files in Drive E waiting to be copied.

Now how can I have files in Drive E waiting to be copied when Drive E is a CD ROM DRIVE.

UPDATE.

I just put the Memorex 4x cd into my E Drive. I went to My computer and double clicked on it. It said I had AN AUDIO CD in the drive.
Is this why I can' copy pics? Because this is an audio cd??

That's all I really want to know.

I am going to buy the flash drive thing

Mel

jeanb 10-05-2008 09:33 AM

sounds like it

Mel

if it says you have an audio cd in the drive - it means that particular cd is formatted already and can't be written to.

Getting a rewritable thumb/portable USB drive will be easier for you. Just plug it in and drag files to it. When you are done with a project, just drag the "old" files (that are on the usb drive) to the trash. Then you can reuse it for new projects

good luck! jean

Curious 10-05-2008 09:52 AM

audio cd's are for music or recording your voice.

mel, many places you can email the pictures then have them printed out. check out cvs online. when they are done, you pick them up at the store.

http://cvs.pnimedia.com/home.aspx

jeanb 10-05-2008 09:57 AM

arent they the same?

Curious -

it was my understanding that all cds are the same - but manufacturers label some "audio cds" to charge more $$ for them...

If your cd writer gives you a message that an audio cd is in the drive, I am pretty sure it means the cd is formatted and has music on it and can't be written to.

please correct me if i'm wrong.... :p

Jean

Curious 10-05-2008 10:03 AM

they are formated different. i found that out when i was trying to copy a news story from tv for gaykir. i tried both the audio and the data cd's ( both were new) and had to finally get a dvd-r.

then i tried to use the dvd-r's ( new, i bought a whole stack :rolleyes:) to record lil'monkey's audition music and that wouldn't work.

i'm sure someone...moi? while chime in. :D

MelodyL 10-05-2008 10:03 AM

please correct me if i'm wrong....

Jean. I have no idea if you are wrong or right.

I just went to yahoo and looked up Flash Drive.

Holy cow, I'm getting an education. I said that CD RW are obsolete. It said that there are different kinds of flash drives.

It said that there is something called a solid state flash drive.

All I want is to copy some pics to SOMETHING, go to the Kodak store and print it out. But when I did go to the Kodak store the other day and I asked them "How much is it per photo to have it printed out?" he said "$1.95 per picture".

I might as well buy some more cartridges for my printer and do it myself.

My god, the stuff I have yet to learn about flash drives, and cd rw's and this and that.

I'll be 80 and STILL LEARNING

lol

MelodyL 10-05-2008 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curious (Post 382881)

mel, many places you can email the pictures then have them printed out. check out cvs online. when they are done, you pick them up at the store.

Curious.

I LOVE YOU!!!

I just went to this link (cvs) and it says if you sign up for free, you can get 50 prints for free.

Let's just check this out!!!

If this is true, I shall send heaps of blessings your way.

lol

Melody

MelodyL 10-05-2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

Curious:

I registered with the CVS photo thing. I uploaded 9 photos. I created an album. Now I see things like "Shopping Cart, etc. etc.

What do I do next?

You indicated I can email the pics.

I think this might be done a different way. Since I have uploaded it to that site, and I've created an album. There must be a way to put the album in the shopping cart, and then click on SOMETHING, and then I can take a walk to my local CVS and pick up the photos?

See, this is where I get confused.

How do I make sure that my local CVS gets the information.

I know I now live in techno times but honestly, I was using a throw-a-way camera until last week, and now I've uploaded photos to a cvs thing?

I can do the photobucket and the youtube thing, but this is BRAND NEW TO ME.

Any steps I should take next? Have you done this.?

I tried to see a help menu or an information thing but all I saw was "create an album, My album, shopping cart.....

And thanks much.

God, I'm learning cvs photos now.

lol

Curious 10-05-2008 10:46 AM

you did the right thing. now you can pick which or all the photos you want to be printed. they will be ready at the cvs store you choose. saves a trip to the store. plus all the copying time to a cd or or thumb drive.

i hadn't done it in awhile. i used to email the pictures to the local cvs. :o
lil'monkey is now my techno guru. :wink:

Jomar 10-05-2008 10:58 AM

Looks like you can view & edit also - might want to do that step before adding to cart.
I didn't make an account - just going by the tabs.

If there is editing features like sharpening, crop, lighten /darken etc - you can improve the photos if needed before you have them printed out.

who moi 10-05-2008 11:22 AM

everybody has been right one way or another. LOL

Mel, there are so many ways to go about it. I think it comes down to what you're comfortable with and what you'd like to do.

all suggestions are good.

my personal preferences when taking photos to a local place for instant gratification is to put it onto a USB stick (called thumb drives as Jean has mentioned).

And they are cheaper than dirt these days. Compare that with CD's

USB is convenient and you can get a 4 Gig for under 20 dollars if you buy them on sale...

a CD holds roughly 700 MB's of data (it'll say 800MB on some, but at least 100 of those are alloted)

and you can only use that one time. (Unless you get a CD-RW but I don't care for those either. LOL)

I just don't use CD's anymore. Especially the CD-R's. They can only be used ONE time and the amount of memory in a CD is just not enough for what I need these days. So I use CD-R's only to write music these days, that IS until we get I-pods(I know, I know, I know....we need to come aboard, but I kept on waiting for the NEXT generation :) )

on-line photo places are great if you can wait a few days and I love on-line shopping. If they start selling groceries, I would NEVER leave this house. :D

(If every one of my clients come on board to online video conferencing, I really will never leave this house. LOL)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

as to the music CD's and data CD's. This is what I know:

audio cd's have a hard encoded section at the beginning which tells the machine it is audio cd.

the dye is slightly different

non-audio cd's don't play in all cd players.
audio cd's are supposed to

with that said, I DO know that some programs are able to by-pass the music CD's hard endcode section and are able to let one write data onto the music CD

and....some data CD's CAN write music. But if it is played in an older CD player, it might not work.

Music CD's dye's and encoding are supposed to make it universal to the laser reading in most(if not all) CD players.

hope that helped.

:)

PS, I do want to mention that most people just pull out thumb drives without going to "safely remove hardware" option. While 99% of the time, this might work and be OK...I would always use the safely remove hardware option because that ONE time, can lose precious datas and corrupt the whole freakin' drive....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (or remove the drive AFTER the puter is turned off)

jeanb 10-05-2008 11:50 AM

whoops thanks

Didn't know about the differences between CDs - my husband (network architect and complete computer guru...) said there were no differences! I see he was wrong now.

Agree - lots of ways to share data now.

When I was transferring my files from PC to MAC it was getting harder & harder to copy to DVD as backup and storage. I kept getting weird error messages. So I finally broke down and bought a 160GB portable hard drive. I used it to transfer files, and now am using it for file backups.

thanks all for the info! :grouphug:

snoozie 10-05-2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by who moi (Post 382951)
on-line photo places are great if you can wait a few days and I love on-line shopping. If they start selling groceries, I would NEVER leave this house. :D

Moi, don't the grocery stores there deliver groceries? Here you can order gorceries from Vons or Albertsons, and if you order early enough in the day they are delivered that day. The delivery fee is 10.00 but they send email coupons all the time for free delivery.

I wish they had this when I had all my surgeries, it would have really been nice to not ask others to do shopping or try to do it myself.

I have only used it once and while it was ok I still prefer to do my own shopping...Sue

MelodyL 10-06-2008 07:15 PM

Hey everybody, I did it!!! I just put in the order.
They applied my FREE 50 PRINT CREDIT. I only got 32 prints this time.

One pic is of my mom from when she was 18. My cousin emailed me the pic. I did not have a hard copy. Now I will

How cool are you guys.

I never would have known about this.

And the best part is I go tomorrow after 11 a.m. and pick them up.

Really good work guys.

THANKS MUCH.

Melody

MelodyL 10-07-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

OH CURIOUS, I cannot thank you enough for this information.

I walked in there at 11 a.m. and they just went behind the desk and handed me the photos.

I said "wow, they delivered them to this store already??" and the guy said "Oh, no, we print there right here".

I just looked the machines behind them and figured out that when I uploaded my photos to their online photo thingee, it then talks to the machines and prints out my pics (or some other more technical explanation).

but all I know is that I now have a picture of my mother when she was YOUNG. I think this whole thing is so cool.

And right in front of me were all these disposable digital cameras and disposable video cameras, and keychains with digital photo thingees hanging from them.

I wish I was 20 again. boy would I LOVE this techno generation.

I would have video ipods, and podcasts, and EVERYTHING.

I just spent 1 hour having breakfast with a woman in her 60's and I was explaining RAM to her and software. You should have seen the incredulous expression on her face.

She looked at me and said "you understand all of this??" and I said: "ME??", you should see what I learn from my online internet buddies in the computer message boards" She could not believe that such things take place.

She doesn't have a tv in her home.

Good Lord.

lol lol lol

allentgamer 10-07-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

I wish I was 20 again. boy would I LOVE this techno generation.

I would have video ipods, and podcasts, and EVERYTHING.

I just spent 1 hour having breakfast with a woman in her 60's and I was explaining RAM to her and software. You should have seen the incredulous expression on her face.

She looked at me and said "you understand all of this??" and I said: "ME??", you should see what I learn from my online internet buddies in the computer message boards" She could not believe that such things take place.

She doesn't have a tv in her home.

Good Lord.

lol lol lol
Melody

It is thrilling to read your post!!
You go girl!

MelodyL 10-08-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allentgamer (Post 384363)
Melody

It is thrilling to read your post!!
You go girl!

----------------------------------------
Thank you Allen. I certainly do try. lol