NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Personalities and MS (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/59934-personalities-ms.html)

4boysmom 11-17-2008 09:20 AM

Personalities and MS

Another thread got me to thinking?

Does having a "type A" personality lend yourself to having MS show up in your life?

I know many of us have been told that we had anxiety or were stressed before dx. My PCP used to tell me, you're just such a typeA! Let it go!

ADs did help me put perspective in my life. I don't think I'm nearly as bad as I used to be: liked being in charge; had to share my opinion - and of course, my opinion was the only one that made any sense ;); perfectionist; very emotional; helped everyone with everything; never said no; and on and on.

In the other thread, someone felt the need to correct stats stated by another. It didn't really add to the thread, but this person felt the need to correct the misinformation at the sake of making others upset. I've been there, and done that, I recognized the pattern. I've lost that need to "always be right!" since dx and years of ADs (not on any for the past 6 months, now though!)

Just wondering if being a type A makes you prone to MS. I know my first flare came at the height of my Type A-ness. Anyone else been told they are "Type A"? Anyone see any of these traits that may have contributed to stress that may have triggered the MS nestled in our genes?

FinLady 11-17-2008 10:04 AM

I don't know if it makes you prone to MS, but it sure makes the stress factor a little more fun. :rolleyes:

I've got "Type A" traits. My hubby jokes that my New York uptightness gets in my way sometimes. ;) :D It's been hard for me to learn to relax and choose my battles. I'm by nature a perfectionist.

Blessings2You 11-17-2008 11:24 AM

Good question, but I'm not sure there's an answer. I'm more a B than an A, and my Dad (who had MS) was definitely a B. I think it's pretty complicated. Like most everything.

barb02 11-17-2008 12:21 PM

Unfortunately, I am an "A." I try to calm down about things that really do not matter in the long run, but I am not always successful.

GladysD 11-17-2008 12:27 PM

I don't know if it makes us more susceptible, but maybe it's more of a common denominator?

My mom describes me as type A, I think I'm more B or E, but I certainly identify with the perfectionism, over-sensitivity, people pleasing, not saying no, needing to make sure that misinformation gets corrected, on and on and on.

This dx, combined with some other life changing events, i.e, three kids and a marriage that needed work has been a small blessing in disguise for me. Therapy and a combo of in-person and on-line support groups have been momentous for me in getting my stress down to a reasonable level. I've worked so hard, and am still a work in progress, at reworking my initial reactions and thought processes through mindfullness techniques, etc. They say we can rewire ourselves to produce a more desireable, less stressful reaction to life's little triggers/stressors.

Thanks so much for this thread today. Certainly means alot to me. :)

4boysmom 11-17-2008 01:16 PM

I think anything we can do to lessen our stress, is a good thing. I know when I'm in the middle of doing a lot (work, church, family) my tingly hand has a few fingers that just start throbbing and become numb. As I relax, sit in the hot tub, have a Calgon moment, it goes away.

I appreciate the fact that ADs have helped me find balance and perspective in my life! If I'm tired, it is okay to go home from work, put on jammies, and lay in bed and watch TV, at 6:00!! At least I put in a full day's work!

So my house is cluttery. Maybe I should dust - more than once a month :hug: Maybe I should eat better and lose some weight. Maybe my hair is a mess, needs to be colored and cut. I really don't care anymore.

But those lovely Type A traits are still lurking in me, and they do pop out once in a while!

SandyC 11-17-2008 02:03 PM

I'm pretty sure I am a type A but I don't go overboard in trying to make a point. Life's too short. We learned that pretty quick when Jim's ms took a turn. I don't have ms though.

Jim's a type A too. It's a wonder we haven't killed each other after all these years! haha

SallyC 11-17-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4boysmom (Post 409582)

Does having a "type A" personality lend yourself to having MS show up in your life?

I know many of us have been told that we had anxiety or were stressed before dx. My PCP used to tell me, you're just such a typeA! Let it go!

ADs did help me put perspective in my life. I don't think I'm nearly as bad as I used to be: liked being in charge; had to share my opinion - and of course, my opinion was the only one that made any sense ;); perfectionist; very emotional; helped everyone with everything; never said no; and on and on.

In the other thread, someone felt the need to correct stats stated by another. It didn't really add to the thread, but this person felt the need to correct the misinformation at the sake of making others upset. I've been there, and done that, I recognized the pattern. I've lost that need to "always be right!" since dx and years of ADs (not on any for the past 6 months, now though!)

Just wondering if being a type A makes you prone to MS. I know my first flare came at the height of my Type A-ness. Anyone else been told they are "Type A"? Anyone see any of these traits that may have contributed to stress that may have triggered the MS nestled in our genes?

Yes, Yes and Yes Indeed..:D

legzzalot 11-17-2008 02:54 PM

Wow I have always been told I am a type A never really thought about it but I do laugh when the doctor tells me stop stressing it is only making it worse. I don't remember how to relax.

Kitty 11-17-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

I don't think so. I'm so Type B that my DH used to tell me he needed to check my pulse to make sure I was still here!!

legzzalot 11-17-2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4boysmom (Post 409713)

I appreciate the fact that ADs have helped me find balance and perspective in my life! If I'm tired, it is okay to go home from work, put on jammies, and lay in bed and watch TV, at 6:00!! At least I put in a full day's work!

So my house is cluttery. Maybe I should dust - more than once a month :hug: Maybe I should eat better and lose some weight. Maybe my hair is a mess, needs to be colored and cut. I really don't care anymore.

You are my hero and I find myself saying the same darn things! I cleaned my house yesterday because I felt sorry for it. I think it was the first time in 2 weeks I had swept and scrubbed the floors and vacuumed and cleaned the bathroom. Yeah yeah two weeks you say...hey in two weeks time with a soldier a dog a 4 yr old a guinea pig and a hamster you can imagine the mess.

Blessings2You 11-17-2008 03:39 PM

You're supposed to scrub floors???

Gazelle 11-17-2008 06:29 PM

HereKitty, you cracked me up about being "so type B." :D

Legzz, I can only imagine. No, in fact, I CAN imagine! :eek:

Yep, Type A. Yep, hang around with Type A's. Yep, we sometimes kill each other verbally just because. Yep, it adds stress. Yep, it's hard to shake.

I so want to be like HK........ But there's so much to do and so little time and..... :p

braingonebad 11-17-2008 07:02 PM

I have type A traits but mostly I'm type B.

I got more *A* when I became a mother, because I was the only one to do things, so I might as well do them right.

And I got more *A* yet when I got sick and realized the docs I was seeing were not trying terribly hard to figure out what was wrong. What's wrong with me pointing out what they wrote down wrong? I'm **** for that? I don't think so.

:o

Still, I do not have to be in charge. You wanna make dinner, drive, take care of Christmas, etc? Far out!

Wake me up when you need me.

SallyC 11-17-2008 07:44 PM

I think I've been a Type A, take charge, my way or the hway, person for as long as I can remember....that's why I have MS, you know...my own worse enemy and all..:rolleyes:

In the last five years, thanks to Paxil and Prozac, I have become a very Kelly-like, type B.:D I don't care if the world falls apart, just give me my 'puter, my Family & Friends, my TV and chocky chip cookies and I'm set..:Crazy 2:

AZjanie 11-17-2008 09:10 PM

I am a type "A" with a type "F" disease. :mad:

Gazelle 11-17-2008 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZjanie (Post 409978)
I am a type "A" with a type "F" disease. :mad:

I SO KNOW what that "F" stands for! :eek::eek::eek:

But I'm with you on characterizing it like that. :D

PolarExpress 11-18-2008 12:19 AM

I'm the polar (no pun intended) opposite of the type "A" personality..Is there a type "Z"? (as in Zzzzz)

lady_express_44 11-18-2008 02:04 AM

Quote:

I asked the same question when I first came on the forums, as I had always been very driven and tenacious. I wondered if that might have contributed in some way to triggering or escalating the MS.

From the various responses I received about peoples’ personalities, it seems there were ALL types that ended up with MS. The only similarity was that most people said they definitely “felt” the stress more since they’ve had the disease.

There are people with Type A that have depression, but I don’t think being Type A causes people to be particularly prone to it. In fact, some of the lowest achievers are seen to have qualities that are most often associated with depression, like feeling disconnected, poor social skills, melancholy, disinterested, unfocused, lacking in motivation, etc.

Sadly, it seems a large % of us with MS (no matter what our underlying character) are often dx with depression. Sorry to hear you are one of them ... but at least you are in great company. :)

Quote:

In the other thread, someone felt the need to correct stats stated by another. It didn't really add to the thread, but this person felt the need to correct the misinformation at the sake of making others upset. I've been there, and done that, I recognized the pattern. I've lost that need to "always be right!" since dx and years of ADs (not on any for the past 6 months, now though!) ...

You might have both of those characteristics, but I don't agree that 'Type A' and/or 'depressed' people always have to be “right”. However, whatever similarities to you that I might appear to have (at least according to YOUR humble assessment ;)), you and are very different people . . .

For instance, “who” gets credit for being “right” has never been important to me me; what does is fixing or getting to the truth of matters, for the benefit of people who do care. Frankly, I’d rather that the correct information be posted by “whom-ever” to begin with :rolleyes:. . . but I will correct misinformation when I feel it matters to do so.

Fortunately I have never really suffered from depression or anxiety, and I have no problem saying “no” either. I was a perfectionist for a while back in the late 70’s/early 80’s, but I am definitely a long way from that now. I've had this disease way too long to care about those kind of things any more. ;)

As far as people being upset on the the other thread, the Biogen Rep is the only one that really had any reason be, because it was HIS "misinformation" that I challenged . . . but, I doubt he reads this forum anyway. :D I don’t let “hearsay” and “opinions” get much in the way of those kind of responses, because unlike how you’ve described yourself, I am most often “logical” rather then “emotional” when it comes to discussing "factual" matters.

You resurrected a thread that had been sitting idle for 4 days, so that you could “share your opinion”. Your opinion was not regarding the “notes” highlighted on that thread, or even to contribute input into any of the “facts” that were posted. It seems it was mostly to tell me that you thought I did not have the right to any say on that thread, and that in your opinion, I should “stay away” from the topic. That has to be the strongest indication that you really don’t know me at all. :)

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread59295-3.html

It seems you didn’t get enough of an opportunity to say everything that you wanted to on the other thread though, and felt it necessary to dredge it up again here. :confused: If your goal was to try to find a drug that helped you with what you view as unpleasant character flaws, like having to voice an opinion on things that don’t matter, or to not “have” to have control over things, etc. . . . I'm not so sure that your antidepressants are working as well as you might have hoped they were. Then again, I never knew you before you started using them . . . so perhaps this IS a great improvement. :cool:

Cherie

4boysmom 11-18-2008 09:21 AM

I was on a cruise, and haven't contributed to any forum for months because I've been busy living life.

I didn't even look at the dates to know it was four days old. It was on the top of my list, and the thread topic caught my eye.

You weren't getting the hint others were trying to give you in the thread, and yes, my Type A kicked in and I thought maybe I could say something that would help you get the hint.

This thread was started because it got me thinking about my personality, and why I felt the need to help you get the hint! You are right, I could have said what I needed on that thread and left you out of it. Because I am NOT currently on any ADs, that ugly part of my personality showed up.

See, I don't always have to be right. And I'm a big enough girl to admit when things I say belong in the category of "stupid stuff!"

I stand behind my opinion that people shouldn't contribute to threads to correct others, just because they think their set of facts are correct and others aren't with a product they have no personal stake in.

You said in your thread you don't feel the need to be right, but you did in that thread! You were correct and the biogen rep was wrong. You reiterated that comment in this thread. So you do feel the need to be right! That is what I took from your comments.

As far as logic goes, I'd dare say I'm more than adequate! You can be emotional (in other words, your tear ducts are directly tied to your emotions) and passionate and be logical. I finished in the top 96 percentile of people taking the GRE in analysis and logic.

Your need to "fix" things is a typical type A trait, at least the way my PCP described it. That was one thing I had to work on, and by my responding to your thread right now is just another example of me not letting "stupid stuff" go, and trying to fix it. Your bunch of smiley faces reeks of sarcasm towards me and not any kind of light-heartedness. So I feel the need to try and say something that would help you see I'm not all bad. But then just putting in that sentence about the smiley-faces was not nice and did not fix anything.

Someone help me let it all go!!!!!!!! I don't know you, we'll probably never meet, yet I have this burning need to patch things up.

These are the feelings I'm talking about in this thread! They are not helpful to my MS, but because of, as you call them, "unpleasant character flaws" I can't let it drop. Neither could you, so we are in many ways alike!

Desinie 11-18-2008 10:06 AM

Yep, definitely Type A personality here. My body used to match my mind lol Hate seeing you ladies bicker! Relieve your stress and agree to let it go. We're all in this thing called MS together.

4boysmom 11-18-2008 11:21 AM

Actually, I'm okay now. I should have said what needed to be said, "I'm sorry for bringing you up in this thread Cherie. I tried not to specifically point to you, but it was that thread that made me realize that I still struggle with the need to "fix" things."

I think that it was these traits - in myself, and myself alone! - that at least brought my MS to the forefront! I just wondered if anyone else felt the same way.

And it really doesn't help me now to get confrontational. If I had still been on Celexa, none of anything I've said on any thread in the past few days would have been there. It totally takes away this need on my part to let everyone know my opinion, and that you better like my opinion! :eek:

But if you were to meet me, you'd all really like me! I'm caring, helpful, funny, smart, self-depracating, and for those around me sought-after for advice. I usually am fairly wise and knowledgeable in what I have to say. But I do have ugly character flaws that like to rear their head, at times when I'm busy.

So---- Sorry to Cherie!

And to Denise - a big thanks!

And to the rest of you type A's, help me stay on track so that my MS doesn't get any headway in my brain!

Jodylee 11-18-2008 11:26 AM

Hi Brenda :Wave-Hello:. It's good to 'see' you :). I'm type A too (which will become apparent in this post, I fear). My type A-ness has calmed down a bit since the MS has really put a cramp in my style :p. Athough you and I haven't always seen eye to eye on things, we have been respectful and kind to one another. I totally understand why you posted to the other thread :). I probably would have done the same if I wasn't out of town at the time. Sometimes I feel the need to defend (not sure if that's quite the right word I want to use) other people's right to keep a thread on track even though I've been guilty of veering OT on occasion. I also don't believe that anyone should post about a drug that they have no personal experience with, jmo. I'm on the drug in question. I only post about it on the thread that is dedicated to it (most of the time). It would be interesting to see some of the good stats posted to balance the bad ones that we see from the people who aren't on the drug. When all you see from certain posters is the negative aspects, it kind of makes you want to disregard their opinions and stats. I'm not singling you out, Cherie. There are others who do this also. I don't intend to offend anybody. This is just my opinion.

lady_express_44 11-18-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4boysmom (Post 410278)
I was on a cruise, and haven't contributed to any forum for months because I've been busy living life.

I didn't even look at the dates to know it was four days old. It was on the top of my list, and the thread topic caught my eye.

You weren't getting the hint others were trying to give you in the thread, and yes, my Type A kicked in and I thought maybe I could say something that would help you get the hint.

This thread was started because it got me thinking about my personality, and why I felt the need to help you get the hint! You are right, I could have said what I needed on that thread and left you out of it. Because I am NOT currently on any ADs, that ugly part of my personality showed up.

See, I don't always have to be right. And I'm a big enough girl to admit when things I say belong in the category of "stupid stuff!"

I stand behind my opinion that people shouldn't contribute to threads to correct others, just because they think their set of facts are correct and others aren't with a product they have no personal stake in.

You said in your thread you don't feel the need to be right, but you did in that thread! You were correct and the biogen rep was wrong. You reiterated that comment in this thread. So you do feel the need to be right! That is what I took from your comments.

As far as logic goes, I'd dare say I'm more than adequate! You can be emotional (in other words, your tear ducts are directly tied to your emotions) and passionate and be logical. I finished in the top 96 percentile of people taking the GRE in analysis and logic.

Your need to "fix" things is a typical type A trait, at least the way my PCP described it. That was one thing I had to work on, and by my responding to your thread right now is just another example of me not letting "stupid stuff" go, and trying to fix it. Your bunch of smiley faces reeks of sarcasm towards me and not any kind of light-heartedness. So I feel the need to try and say something that would help you see I'm not all bad. But then just putting in that sentence about the smiley-faces was not nice and did not fix anything.

Someone help me let it all go!!!!!!!! I don't know you, we'll probably never meet, yet I have this burning need to patch things up.

These are the feelings I'm talking about in this thread! They are not helpful to my MS, but because of, as you call them, "unpleasant character flaws" I can't let it drop. Neither could you, so we are in many ways alike!

Thank you for your response, and honesty.

Whatever my faults, I will continue to correct any “misinformation” passed on, and I am at peace with my motivation for doing so.

Cheers, Cherie

lady_express_44 11-18-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4boysmom (Post 410344)
Actually, I'm okay now. I should have said what needed to be said, "I'm sorry for bringing you up in this thread Cherie. I tried not to specifically point to you, but it was that thread that made me realize that I still struggle with the need to "fix" things."

I think that it was these traits - in myself, and myself alone! - that at least brought my MS to the forefront! I just wondered if anyone else felt the same way.

And it really doesn't help me now to get confrontational. If I had still been on Celexa, none of anything I've said on any thread in the past few days would have been there. It totally takes away this need on my part to let everyone know my opinion, and that you better like my opinion! :eek:

But if you were to meet me, you'd all really like me! I'm caring, helpful, funny, smart, self-depracating, and for those around me sought-after for advice. I usually am fairly wise and knowledgeable in what I have to say. But I do have ugly character flaws that like to rear their head, at times when I'm busy.

So---- Sorry to Cherie!

And to Denise - a big thanks!

And to the rest of you type A's, help me stay on track so that my MS doesn't get any headway in my brain!

I was posting at the same time as you.

Thanks again, and bygones. :)

Cherie

SandyC 11-18-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4boysmom (Post 410344)

:hug: You haven't done anything wrong. Curiousity is a great virtue to have. :hug:

Kitty 11-18-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 410447)
:hug: You haven't done anything wrong. Curiousity is a great virtue to have. :hug:

Sandy's right.....you didn't do anything wrong. You've just as much right to express you opinion about whatever you choose as the next person. I think you handled the situation very nicely. :)

Aarcyn 11-18-2008 06:16 PM

I am an A type wanna-be.

Guess that would make me a B type, or an A-

but mostly, I got c's and d's in school. :D:D:D

GladysD 11-19-2008 07:23 PM

HEHE....

Well, after reading through this thread ....YEAH....I've certainly got some TYPE A traits inside of me!

I like what was said about correcting misinformation, not to be 'right' or to be given 'credit', but to make sure that others out there are getting good quality information and not opinionated misinformation....I'm more notorious for having heated discussions and debates on another non-neuro based group board over such things.

But at the same time, I know how to apologize and back off and let it go. Much like what happened here :)

Funny thing happened today....type a related....my 3yr old asked me to draw a tractor. My 5 yr old put checks and x's....he 'corrected' my drawing of a tractor!!!:eek::eek:

tkrik 11-19-2008 10:17 PM

I am a Ba. Type B with some type A traits.

Now Gladys' son . . . well . . .j/k. That is too funny. Thanks for sharing that Gladys.

ewizabeth 11-19-2008 10:30 PM

I've always been a type B except when I was on steroids, lol.

lady_express_44 11-20-2008 12:05 AM

"Type A individuals can be described as impatient, excessively time-conscious, insecure about their status, highly competitive, hostile and aggressive, and incapable of relaxation. [1] They are often high achieving workaholics who multi-task, drive themselves with deadlines, and are unhappy about the smallest of delays. Because of these characteristics, Type A individuals are often described as "stress junkies."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_A_...onality_theory

"Type A personality generally refers to hard workers who are often preoccupied with schedules and the speed of their performance. Type B personalities may be more creative, imaginative, and philosophical. The test consists of 30 multiple-choice items. Scores range from 35 to 380. Type A is associated with a high score while Type B is associated with a low score."

http://www.psych.uncc.edu/pagoolka/TypeA-B-intro.html

I scored 184 out of 380 on the above test, which slots into a fairly low B score. Analytical, introverted personalities (which I am, intrinsically) are not usually classified as Type A. We are way too methodical in our approach to problems/solutions . . . even if we are hard working and bull-headed. :D That's probably the reason we clash with Type A's though ...

I have some Type A characteristics, for sure . . . but we probably all do.

Cherie

GladysD 11-20-2008 09:37 AM

Thanks for this test....I scored 199, almost right in the middle, imho :)

4boysmom 11-20-2008 09:50 AM

The wiki definition is definitely not me! I'm aware of time, and am responsible to get things done on time, but I'm not obsessed with it, or go overboard with it.

I'm competitive, but I don't have to win. In work, I want to be the one known to help everyone and help come up with the solution. More people-pleaser type, than to win at everything.

I'm definitely not hostile or agressive. I relax really well!

I'm an excellent multi-tasker, and I do get a little crazy with important deadlines, but not overly so. For example, my youngest is leaving on a mission for 2 years. There is a list of clothes/items that he needs to have before he leaves. I know the deadline is Dec. 17th, and I'm slowly working on getting things ready a little at a time. I'm not going crazy with it, but I'm working on it.

I'm not a stress-junkie, because I hate stress!

The other definition fits better. But I have a ton of those Type B traits! I'm very creative and imaginative.

I scored a 202 on the test. I think that shows I'm a good mixture of both A and B.

FinLady 11-20-2008 12:03 PM

Well, I'm a 320. Never thought I was that much of a Type A, wow.:confused:

SandyC 11-20-2008 12:18 PM

My score was a 192. Maybe I am not the type A I used to be. lol

Kitty 11-20-2008 12:26 PM

I scored a 161....but since I have MS I tend to do things slower than usual and I have to keep a schedule of activities if I want to remember any of them! But....I think I'm a Type B regardless of the MS.

dmplaura 11-20-2008 03:09 PM

Holy carp, Cherie just described me to a T (Type A personality). She'll know what I mean. ;)

I can feel a HUGE health difference in periods when my stress and anxiety are at all time lows, and terrible during periods of higher stress and anxiety.

I can 110% say, while MS was lurking for much longer.... it was buying my first house that required 109208349 repairs (and not minor ones) and dealing with a jerk contractor that 'triggered' my dark period of limbo to diagnosis.

I may still be only feeling mild symptoms of MS and be undiagnosed otherwise, had it not been for the amount of stress involved in living in a house on jackposts for 2 months + with rain pouring in your basement, with the house rocking anytime the wind blew (and I'm in the Maritimes... so you can just IMAGINE) and then finally once that is all settled, your roof leaks all over the place in your closet.

Oh, and finding out you wasted $300 on your home inspector who can't tell the difference between knob and tube, aluminum and copper wiring. Another fully unexpected cost.

And the furnace that broke down EVERY WINTER.

I think I lived in the land of "Hi, we're going to help trigger your Multiple Sclerosis" for those 3 years. Oh, and the relationship that crumbled to pieces.

Edit: Score was 210 actually.

4boysmom 11-20-2008 03:35 PM

Wow dmplaura, you're lucky that whole thing didn't send you to your grave!!

Every time my DH asks about a new house, I think of all the work and politely decline.

dmplaura 11-20-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4boysmom (Post 411639)
Wow dmplaura, you're lucky that whole thing didn't send you to your grave!!

I seriously thought it was going to :(