NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Fruitcake Poll (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/67014-fruitcake-poll.html)

Blessings2You 12-20-2008 07:58 PM

Fruitcake Poll

Fruitcake has kind of a reputation. You know: OH NO, somebody gave me a fruitcake, who can I pawn it off on? I was wondering about your opinion?

SallyC 12-20-2008 08:21 PM

Although I put, deserves it's rep. my friend's aunt make a mean home made fruitcake.

ali12 12-20-2008 08:21 PM

I voted for 'Yuck, it deserves its reputation'! I cannot stand fruit cake - it always makes me feel really sick and I will NEVER eat it at Christmas, usually I end up having a cake and the rest of our family has the fruit cake. It annoys my mum sometimes that she has to buy one whole cake just for me LOL.

The rest of my family love Fruit Cake so I just let them eat it and I have something completely different!

I don't like sprouts either, they make me want to be sick everytime I eat them! Even the thought of them makes me feel sick!!

Momma's Kids 12-20-2008 08:22 PM

It's one of the foods I will gladly spit out.

Gazelle 12-20-2008 08:35 PM

I like dark fruitcake fed with rum and cognac and aged a year. Most I can't stand. They're too sweet and disgusting.

But the dark stuff..... oh man.... it's great.

And I make my own. People who haven't liked fruitcake have liked mine. Julia Child's recipe. :)

LavandulaCanadensis 12-20-2008 08:37 PM

i'd live for awhile on fruitcakes, thick farmer's cream or vanilla ice cream, and milk... yummy... good homemade or bakery fruitcakes, not the cheap ones from the grocery store... i voted 'i love fruitcakes'

unfortunately, i'm intolerant to gluten, lactose and any form of sugars... i had totally forgotten about fruitcakes :eek: but you're making me droll... :p i'll have to find a receipe that is made of buckwheat and rice, with more spices... :D

SallyC 12-20-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazelle (Post 431071)
I like dark fruitcake fed with rum and cognac and aged a year. Most I can't stand. They're too sweet and disgusting.

But the dark stuff..... oh man.... it's great.

And I make my own. People who haven't liked fruitcake have liked mine. Julia Child's recipe. :)

ummmmmmm...that's the kind my friend's aunt makes. She stores it in the cellar, only disturbing it to add more cognac.:D

Lara 12-20-2008 09:25 PM

I just stumbled in here and voted not realizing where I was. lol :o

I like certain fruit cakes. Home made ones. I just made one a couple of days ago. It's a dark fruit cake. I'm going to cover it with very very thin layer of marzipan (almond) and then white fondant icing and I decorate it with xmas ribbon or usually Tartan ribbon and stick some little things on the top that I've had for years. Xmas tree decoration and a little sled with santa and presents etc.. I don't mind a little bit of home made fruit cake with a cuppa tea. I can only eat a very small piece though. Could never eat huge slices.

I'll tell you something though. They're not cheap to make at home these days. By the time I bought all the ingredients including a miniature bottle of alcohol I could have bought quite a number of cakes in the shop.

weegot5kiz 12-20-2008 09:34 PM

fruitcakes make great door stops

thecatsmeow 12-20-2008 09:40 PM

I like the dark homemade kind. Soak it in enough rum and I am a happy girl!

Joyce :)

Becca44 12-20-2008 10:16 PM

I don't understand them. What are they r-e-a-l-l-y? ...besides scary looking. I bet if you put one in a time capsule and dug it up 25 years later, it'd still whatever it is today (whatever that is).

:)

FranksAngel 12-20-2008 11:24 PM

i like certain ones ... the dark ones made with alcohol are very good ... lost my recipe though years ago ... i also have somewhere here in this house a recipe for a "fruitcake haters fruitcake" its made with dried fruit not candied fruit ... i think i made it one year here and even frank liked it ... anyway ... that's my vote ... gazelle ... could you give me the recipe for yours???

ewizabeth 12-20-2008 11:28 PM

They just look so gross... :o :vomit2:

Taffy 12-20-2008 11:58 PM

Eee......fruitcake is right up there with that brown bread in a can.

Sorry.....but....

http://dl4.glitter-graphics.net/pub/...ulpjtmoe7y.gif

AZjanie 12-21-2008 12:08 AM

If we have a nuclear war the only survivors will be cockroaches and fruitcakes till the roaches eat the fruitcakes. :cool:

I like fruit and I love cake but together in a fruitcake... yuk! :vomit:

SandyC 12-21-2008 01:18 AM

Yuck!

http://blog.beliefnet.com/beyondblue/fruitcake.jpeg

Gazelle 12-21-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FranksAngel (Post 431130)
gazelle ... could you give me the recipe for yours???

Sure thang. It's awesome.

Do me a favor, however, PM me your address and I'll photocopy the thing and send it off. It'll be easier than typing all that out.

Note, however: I substitute a lot of different fruit and even add different nuts to it. I'm not a really big "cakey" fruitcake person so prefer a lot of fruit and nuts in mine.

The recipe I like takes candied fruit but you actually soak the fruit and rinse off a lot of the sugary stuff from it. I've converted haters to lovers with this recipe.

Beccaroni, that's ever SO unfair. You've just never had a good one (and don't say that there IS no good one)!! ;)

wkikta 12-21-2008 10:50 AM

The best store bought Fruitcake: http://www.collinstreet.com/ They grow their own pineapple and papaya. Isn't all real fruitcake dark?

Gazelle 12-21-2008 12:22 PM

Nope. Some real fruitcake is crappy light colored. :mad: Ick!

PolarExpress 12-21-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becca44 (Post 431107)
I don't understand them. What are they r-e-a-l-l-y? ...besides scary looking. I bet if you put one in a time capsule and dug it up 25 years later, it'd still whatever it is today (whatever that is).

:)

Ya know, fruitcake will last for 25 years if stored properly (seriously). So, you're right!

AZjanie 12-21-2008 11:57 PM

I think the last fruitcake I tried WAS 25 years old!

My neighbor promised us one for our Christmas dinner.

Bummer; I thought she liked us. :(

tkrik 12-22-2008 10:09 AM

While fruitcake would not be my 1st choice as a holiday treat, I did vote certain ones.

Like others here, not mentioning names:p, I like heavily ladened alcohol fruitcakes. ;) It brings out such a fantastic flavor. Or maybe I just like the taste of rum and/or cognac and not the fruitcake itself.:D

Curious 12-22-2008 10:13 AM

my great grandmother made the best fruitcake. she used gum drups. :D
my cousins and i couldn't wait for our candy filled treats each year. i just might make a batch.

i do know she made an adult version, plus dozens and dozens of rum balls. :o

SallyC 12-22-2008 09:08 PM

A gum drop Cake sounds yummy, oh long armed fuzzy one..:D

PolarExpress 12-23-2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrik (Post 431970)
While fruitcake would not be my 1st choice as a holiday treat, I did vote certain ones.

Like others here, not mentioning names:p, I like heavily ladened alcohol fruitcakes. ;) It brings out such a fantastic flavor. Or maybe I just like the taste of rum and/or cognac and not the fruitcake itself.:D

Suckin' on the rum soaked raisins doesn't count...

Kitty 12-23-2008 08:36 AM

My Mom had a recipe for what was called "Fruitcake" but it was nothing like the store bought "bricks" that the local stores sell. It had rum (lots of it!) in it along with some other liquor. She used huge raisins, and lots of different dried fruits....oh, and applesauce, walnuts and pecans. I can remember the smell of it baking......yum. She used a bundt pan and it also had a sort of glaze on top of it that she drizzled on it while it was still warm. I wish I could find that recipe....it wasn't in the ones I saved from her recipe box. I haven't been able to find a cake just like that one ever again. :(

lady_express_44 12-23-2008 11:16 AM

Do many people still use fruitcake for their wedding cakes? Good thing we're supposed to put it under our pillow rather than eat it, if so!

Blah!

Cherie

Blessings2You 12-23-2008 11:38 AM

Guess what I just got in the mail from my brother and sister-in-love in NC? Chocolate fudge and little squares of homemade fruitcake! :D And they didn't even know about the poll! Mmmm, think I'll go have another piece before Bob gets the one with the cherry on top.

FinLady 12-23-2008 11:56 AM

I like my family's fruit cake. Never use candied fruit, dryed fruit only. Then age it in rum, rotating the cheesecloth, for about a month. I never could remember that it needs started around Thanksgiving so I haven't tried my hand at it yet.

SallyC 12-23-2008 12:51 PM

Let's face it, we're all a bunch of Fruitcakes..:Crazy 2:

hjmom 12-23-2008 06:44 PM

I LOVE fruitcake! I made two last night. I only like the homemade ones also though.