NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Women's Health (https://www.neurotalk.org/women-s-health/)
-   -   Menopause......Come On Already!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/women-s-health/77146-menopause.html)

Kitty 02-09-2009 08:51 AM

Menopause......Come On Already!!

I feel like I'm the only woman who wants "the change" to hurry up and happen.

I'm 48.....and while that's not old by today's standards I'm not planning on having anymore children so.......let's get on with the process!!! :hissyfit: I'm tired of having this monthly "visitor" invade my space! It's not invited but seems to think it's okay to just keep showing up....sometimes unannounced.....just anytime it pleases. :mad:

Is anyone else just ready to move on to the next stage of life? I've done my time!! Enough already!! Phew......rant over. Is it hot in here to anyone else?? :o

mrsD 02-09-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 462692)
I feel like I'm the only woman who wants "the change" to hurry up and happen.

I'm 48.....and while that's not old by today's standards I'm not planning on having anymore children so.......let's get on with the process!!! :hissyfit: I'm tired of having this monthly "visitor" invade my space! It's not invited but seems to think it's okay to just keep showing up....sometimes unannounced.....just anytime it pleases. :mad:

Is anyone else just ready to move on to the next stage of life? I've done my time!! Enough already!! Phew......rant over. Is it hot in here to anyone else?? :o

Yes, I know how you feel!

I was very liberated by menopause. All the horror stories women share! None of them happened to me. The only problem I had was some insomnia.

After I had been period free, for a year, my doctor ran some hormone tests and decreed...yep it was over. Then I went on vacation, and guess what? My breasts got sore, like old times and then one day... an unwanted visitor came! THAT was my last period!

Also I will warn you.... The GYN I was seeing told me when I was 47 that I wasn't ovulating anymore. So we stopped using protection, and I got pregnant. I lost it at 9 wks. So I would caution women to not believe their doctors, on some things.
The body is still able to FOOL YOU.

DM 02-09-2009 09:34 AM

No regrets here, Kell and mrsD. Sept 28, 2005 was my last cycle and I'd do the ''happy'' dance if I could. :Head-Spin: :Dancing-Chilli: :yahoo: It's now a date ingrained in my leeetle brain. Do I miss it???

NEVAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was very sporadic w/it for about 2 yrs prior to quitting and then it was gone. POOF! I was like Goodbye, and don't let the door hit ya on the way out! :OuttaHere: Let's see, I was 50 when it officially happened, but late 40's when it slowed down to a few times a yr.

I'm not sure if menopause has caused more sleep interruption or not, as I had problems before that.

Kitty 02-09-2009 09:54 AM

I don't sleep that well anyway so I'm not sure I'd even notice the interruptions. I'd gladly give up a few hours of sleep if it'd just go away!!!

DM 02-09-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 462720)
I don't sleep that well anyway so I'm not sure I'd even notice the interruptions. I'd gladly give up a few hours of sleep if it'd just go away!!!

We COULD brew up a potion for you to wear around your neck, Kell! Are you partial to garlic or bee's knees??? I'm sure I read that somewhere. :D

Kitty 02-09-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DM (Post 462728)
We COULD brew up a potion for you to wear around your neck, Kell! Are you partial to garlic or bee's knees??? I'm sure I read that somewhere. :D

At this point I'm willin' to try just about anything! :p

Curious 02-09-2009 10:53 AM

I wish.

A few years ago when I had all my hormones checked. My dr was like, good news, you won't need any hormones until you are about 60. :thud:

I think I'll take stock out in those monthly supply companies. :rolleyes:

What a pain. Yep, I have 2 sets of bra's. One thing I never have needed is bigger boobs! :eek: What really sucks is that Lil'Monkey and I start on the same day or 1 day off. SHE gets moody. :p

LavandulaCanadensis 02-09-2009 11:08 AM

i've experienced all the monthly horrors from 10yo till 45yo... incl. 2 days in bed with horrid migraines and vomiting, plus the excruciating abdominal pain for 7 days... :mad: more than enough! however, i know i was not the only one... :rolleyes: i never had any pregnancy...

i'm GLAD the bloody visitor doesn't come anymore... at 45, it started to skip a month now and then... for about 3 years, it happened once or twice a year, then, NO MORE for the last 2 years... :D

during all these years, nothing helped to alleviate my symptoms except for the last few years, i've been using some plants mother tinctures (shepherd's purse and black cohosh) under a naturopath's supervision... however, i still get the emotional and the abdominal pain approx. every 2-3 months... now, i'll take one of the 2 plants (depending on my main symptoms) only when needed... i'm 52 :(

garlic is certainly good to keep many things away... but i'm not sure about the monthly visitor ? i'v always been eating LOTS of garlic, and LOTS of onions too... :D

good luck!

watsonsh 02-09-2009 11:52 AM

I wish. Sign me up for menopause!

SandyC 02-12-2009 04:56 PM

I was lucky and had a hysterectomy at the ripe age of 30. I had my period from the age of 11 and the last ten years before surgery I had my period every month, all month. No kidding, it was brutal! After years of male gyno's telling me I want to have more children :rolleyes: I found a precious woman doctor who said no one should have to have a period so much. We discussed every option, which I had tried and I had the surgery. I think every woman should be allowed to have one when they are done having babies or what not. :D

So, basically I went through a partial menopause because my body was in shock since I still had my ovaries. Now the second half of menopause isn't so bad. It's like I am in denial because the docs say I am in menopause but the pessimistic part of me says "Honey, you ain't seen nuthin' yet!" My hot flashes are nothing compared to what some women tell. I get the night sweats, cold sweats thing but not as bad as some. The one thing that is bad is the moodiness. I can go from smiling to moody in ten seconds flat! lol Thank God for Zanax. That's what Jim says. haha

Curious 02-12-2009 05:07 PM

I want the ablation done. We just got insurance. I need to check if that is covered. Atleast the office visits before would be.

janlici 02-12-2009 05:58 PM

I was thrilled to pieces when it was gone for good! I was in my late forties, never had a clue as my periods were as regular as they always had been. One month I just didn't get it and it never came back. That was almost 4 years ago. Buh-bye!!

AfterMyNap 02-12-2009 07:35 PM

Kell, get in line! You are soooooo not the only one!!!

Jan, that is my daily fantasy! I just turned 46 and I've been counting the minutes since I was 25 and had made up my mind on no family.

I even tried to get my gyn to help me out and she mumbled some garbage about laws & ethics or something.:rolleyes:

My grandma was the "one day it was just gone" and my mom had the gigantic horror story. So, I'm seriously counting on that skips-a-generation plan!

Bets 02-12-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterMyNap (Post 464914)
So, I'm seriously counting on that skips-a-generation plan!

Oh yeah! My mom didn't hit menopause until well into her 60's!!! If I follow in her foot-steps I am going to be really, really...really mad at her! (And, yes she will still be around to be mad at because the women in my family also live to be really old.)

Kitty 02-13-2009 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bets (Post 464993)
Oh yeah! My mom didn't hit menopause until well into her 60's!!! If I follow in her foot-steps I am going to be really, really...really mad at her! (And, yes she will still be around to be mad at because the women in my family also live to be really old.)

Her 60's?? Are you kidding me??? If I have to endure twelve more years of this I'll be in a padded room for sure!! http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k.../23_29_111.gif

Pregnancy is actually looking good right about now. No "visitor" and you don't have to constantly hold your tummy in!! **I am soooooo just kidding about that! Not in this lifetime will that ever happen!**

Koala77 02-13-2009 06:41 AM

My story is much like Sandy's. Hysterectomy at age 32, and never looked back.

I tell people that I went through menopause but I "missed it". DD and DH pipe up very quickly to say that they didn't miss it! :o

Apparently I got very moody! :p

I did get some night sweats but apart from that, I really didn't notice anything different at all.

I really do recommend hysterectomy though. I think it's something that should be offered to women once their child bearing years are over. So much easier!

Curious 02-13-2009 07:57 AM

Ihad my tubes tied right after delivery with Lil'Monkey. Thankfully my husband didn't want kids. Boy did I hound him. I was worried he would wait until I was 40 and say...Yep, I want a child of my own.

He got the whole baby thing. We got GrandMonkey when he just a few weeks old. He just never had to have a pregnant wife. :p

Some months are fine. 3 to 4 light to medium days. Then WHAM...a month where I can't leave the house for the first day.

I have never had cramps, I just get the breast tenderness and those grow! I do admit to the mood swing. It was much better when I was on SAMe.

Yep Anne, it should just be a done deal. When you are done using it...out it goes. :D

Kitty 08-11-2009 11:09 AM

Okay.......having hot flashes from h e double toothpicks here. :mad: Why won't mother nature just leave me alone!? I used to laugh at the commercials with the lady sticking her head in the freezer. Not anymore! I'm right there with her. :rolleyes:

Koala77 08-11-2009 07:05 PM

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...1qq218x264.jpg

I'm sorry that you're suffering this way Kitty.
I hope this doesn't go on for too much longer, and all it's behind you soon.
Sending you some understanding hugs.

:hug:

Snoopy 08-11-2009 07:22 PM

Too bad I didn't see this earlier :rolleyes:

I am sooo ready for menopause. I am 48, still ovulating and still having my periods like clock work. I had hot flashes several years ago then they went away. Those hot flashes are now back.

After almost 18 years without BC (I had a tubal after my daughter was born) I am now back on BC to stop ovulation. If these pills work I am only supposed to have a period every 4 months. I might be on them untl menopause.

I am more than willing to have a hysterectomy but my GYN isn't willing to go in that direction at the moment. I had a MRI last year which shows functional ovarian cysts, uterine fibroid and bi-lateral ovarian follicles. None of which my GYN is concerned about.

The bi-lateral ovarian follicles are more than likely due to Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which I had dx'd when I was 21.

I am ready for all of this crap to end :mad:

dahlek 08-16-2009 07:18 PM

Well, good to know I've not been the only one?

I 'started' at an early age, and seems to have 'ended' same... Went on HRT as a 'precaution' against early osteo and thot it would help avoid some 'cancers' which run ramant in my family history. Got an autoimmune diesease and the neuro anti-seizure meds did their number on my bones. Subsequently got a 'tame' breast cancer and the post-meds have been working big time on the bone issues as well.
Advice for now? Chomp your calcium+ViteD+Magnesium as much and best as you can! Fosamax and the like doesn't do it all by itself, ya know?
The post-cancer meds bring a new and unwanted dimension to Hot Flashes that could, make a person at times, dive into a chest freezer and hibernate! It's a danged if you do or don't situation. Sigh.
Oh well, the interim was one total delight! NO WHAMS! with the seeing stars and all.... Don't miss THAT one bit!
Hugs for the duration? or whatever......:hug:

pabb 09-07-2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bets (Post 464993)

this makes sense, since, statistically, women live only 1/3 of their lives after menapause.....

prairiemary 09-07-2009 02:35 PM

All done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I had to get my tubes tied after my 3rd,I was 25.I also had a cyst the size of a softball removed from my left ovary, was left with just half after all was done.Is it possible that I had hot-flashes from that at the time? I read that alot of women go thru early menopause if they have had an auto-immune disease, my last period was when I was 47,such heavy flow the final year, I had to use adult diapers! I got a couple of hot flashes after that, not as bad as when I was 25.My doctor did some tests this spring, to see about my hormones, etc., results came back, he said I was all finished, I was now post-menopause!!!!! I am soo glad its over with! I also got my period when I was 11, was not a very easy one. I have been taking calcium/magnesium, as well as vit.d, and I do drink tons of milk,at my ripe age of 49, I can drink a gallon of milk every few days, if I want to.My husband used to laugh at me, when he would take me out for a fancy steak supper, I would always have to order a large milk to go with it!! Not too classy! I think I never ever had the menopause-sleep problems because I have been taking ELAVIL for 13 years now, and it knocks me out into my deep REM sleep, so I sleep well. And I just do not know if I went thru the mood swings, because I lost a child to cancer 7 years ago-this september 11-so I have been grieving for the entire time. I do hope every woman having a tough time of it, can stay strong and get thru it all.We are soo lucky to be able to talk to each other here,and feel so much support!

darlindeb25 09-09-2009 06:47 AM

Quote:

After I had been period free, for a year, my doctor ran some hormone tests and decreed...yep it was over. Then I went on vacation, and guess what? My breasts got sore, like old times and then one day... an unwanted visitor came! THAT was my last period!
Exactly what happened to me. Probably because of my gluten intolerance, I started menopause around 42...by 49, I was over the hump. My sister, now 51, still isn't truly menopausal. Our mom had a hysterectomy at 35, so we can't go by her. I will be 54 in a few weeks, I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago last month, because of a prolapsed uterus. The doc thought, with removal of my ovaries, it may send me back into hormonal issues, but it didn't...whewwwwwwww.

Quote:

My mom didn't hit menopause until well into her 60's!!! If I follow in her foot-steps I am going to be really, really...really mad at her! (And, yes she will still be around to be mad at because the women in my family also live to be really old.)
This made me snicker...many of the posts have. I understand wanting it over with. I had very heavy periods, ones where I really didn't dare leave home for the first day or 2...I hated it, along with the fact, that's probably what made my ferritin take a nose dive!

Good luck all...everything happens, sooner or later.
:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Callie 03-20-2010 06:53 AM

Looks like I found the right place. (Thanks to the person in Newbie area who sent me this link)

I'm 50 now. I've been "Peri-menopause" for 5 freaking years! Or more? My periods reduced from monthly to every 3 months about a year ago. I'm more than ready for them to stop completely.

I did the hot flash thing. They don't come very often anymore, but I do keep my thermostat set fairly low, 64. My daughter is a skinny little chihuahua who complains its too cold.

Insomnia!!! When I sleep, I sleep well, but bad nights happen. I'm crabby all the next day.

I just want this to end!

redtail 03-21-2010 09:12 PM

Hmmmm I'm only 37 and if menopause came tomorrow it wouldn't be soon enough.
I've endured horrendous periods since I was 15, pain vomiting and diarrhoea. All the dr's just gave me the pill and sent me on my way. If only males had to go through what we did maybe they would be a little more understanding, then again one was a female.....