NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Rest in Peace Battery! (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/79612-rest-peace-battery.html)

DM 03-02-2009 09:11 PM

Rest in Peace Battery!

Well, I'm wondering with every word I type, if it will be my last for a while. My laptop keeps telling me that my battery is reaching the end of it's usable life. DH is supposed to be ordering me one right now. Geez, this is the 2nd battery I have gone through; I got my laptop Nov 2005.

So, we'll see how long this one will let me stay connected to the internet world. I've plugged my pc in, but my light is really fading. :eek:

Poor lil battery~ didn't stand a chance. So, I may be around or >>>>>> goodbye cruel internet world. *until my new one arrives*

Keep the light on for me.

Koala77 03-02-2009 09:18 PM

Oh no! Not the battery?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...mi/goodbye.jpg

Will keep a candle in the window for you my friend. http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...76/candle2.gif

SallyC 03-02-2009 10:32 PM

Didn't anyone ever tell you ...Ya have ta plugs 'em in, once in while..:rolleyes: I hardly ever use just my battery.

I hope your new one gets here before you go into PC withdrawal.:eek:

legzzalot 03-02-2009 10:38 PM

http://lh5.ggpht.com/fisherwy/R-lDKW...ure%5B3%5D.jpg

Dear Battery God,

Please watch over this poor pitiful soul until her new battery arrives. We need her here.

Thanks

Zen Chihuahua

PS-> Sorry for piddling on your new carpet, but the monks scare me. :D

Dejibo 03-03-2009 08:12 AM

The top of the line Batteries last typically for 5 thousand hours. If you use your battery to run that thing everyday all day it will be on for almost 9 thousand hours. so, if you only run it 12 hours a day or leave it sitting in the on position it would be almost 4 thousand hours. Now, that would be if your battery was the best battery ever, and always kept in excellent condition. The average battery, in the average lap top only lasts about 3 thousand hours.

Take heart, as technology progresses we are making longer lasting batteries, and using greener technology to make our laptops. Till then, we keep shelling out money to replace those puppies.

DM 03-03-2009 08:14 AM

Well, I'm still able to get online, but it's fading on me. *SOB*

One computer whiz told me to leave my pc plugged in most of the time and just run the battery down every once in a while and another told me to use it on battery until it's almost ready to recharge and then plug it in. What to do?? What to do??

DH ordered my new battery last night.

(knocking on monitor) Hewoh!! Anyone in there??? Everyone is fading~~~~~~~~~~

Dejibo 03-03-2009 08:16 AM

The FIRST time you use your battery, RUN IT TO EMPTY! then charge it completely. After that, you can charge it when ever you see it running towards the 1/4 to 1/3 line. I typically leave mine plugged in 90% of the time, and only use the battery to run mine when not near a plug or while mobile. I have had mine since 2001, and never replaced the battery.

Kitty 03-03-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DM (Post 474041)
Well, I'm still able to get online, but it's fading on me. *SOB*

(knocking on monitor) Hewoh!! Anyone in there??? Everyone is fading~~~~~~~~~~

We'll be right here waiting for you, DM.....we'll leave the porch light on!!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...f/5de1de64.gif

DM 03-03-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 474060)
We'll be right here waiting for you, DM.....we'll leave the porch light on!!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...f/5de1de64.gif

thanks Kell~ I'm afraid of the dark! I'm still here, but my monitor is very dark.

DM 03-03-2009 07:45 PM

Guess what??? My monitor is lit up again! YAH!!!!

Thanks Muwah for your help!!!!

Koala77 03-03-2009 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejibo (Post 474042)
The FIRST time you use your battery, RUN IT TO EMPTY! then charge it completely.........

I never knew that.......:confused:

....'scuse me while I go turn on laptop and let the battery run down! :o

DM 03-03-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koala77 (Post 474340)
I never knew that.......:confused:

....'scuse me while I go turn on laptop and let the battery run down! :o

I know what you mean, Anne. When I've called Dell Tech Support in the past the different reps told me completely different things to do regarding the battery.

One said to use the pc on battery power until it tells you it's about gone, then plug in to recharge.

The other said to let the battery go only 2/3 to 3/4 down, then recharge.

Oh, and another said I could leave my laptop plugged in all the time, just let it run down once in a while. And~~ I was talking to India!!!!!! :mad:

AY YI YI!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least I have a lit up screen, am finally able to get online, have a new battery ordered and have quit cussing about it. :rolleyes:

my bad!!!

I have decided that I am a leetle too dependent on my laptop, as I have allowed ''it'' to make me a frustrated ole lady for the past couple of days. :mad:

Koala77 03-03-2009 08:12 PM

As you know my laptop is newish. Not in days now, but I've hardly used it much as I'm using this old desk top til it wears out.

But....... it looks like I won't get much time out of a battery, because if I use it for say 1 hour, I get a 60% full reading on the battery meter, so I run it plugged in 95% of the time.

I've not been away yet to take the laptop with me out of the house, but that's when I'd be using the battery more. Won't be very good if it'll only last 2 hours on battery.

Mine's a Dell Inspiron too DM. :confused:

SallyC 03-03-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DM (Post 474351)
Oh, and another said I could leave my laptop plugged in all the time, just let it run down once in a while. And~~ I was talking to India!!!!!! :mad:

That's what I do..:rolleyes: :D

Koala77 03-03-2009 08:28 PM

I just checked my battery meter. It tells me it's 93% full and converted into time it says 3 hours 22 minutes!!

That would be 4 hours on a full battery charge. Surely that can't be right! :confused:

DM 03-03-2009 08:31 PM

Mine would say 3 1/2 hrs or something like that and then in an hr, the light would flash for low battery. Now, if I unplug it, it says 3 minutes, hence the reason I have a new one coming.

Koala77 03-03-2009 08:41 PM

Is it any wonder I'm confused?????

Anyway, I've switched over and am now using the laptop, so I'll see just how long it does last!

But......in those minutes since I said it was at 93%, it's already dropped to 81%.

Curious 03-03-2009 08:59 PM

As long as you just have it on and don't do anything...it will last the 4 hours. :p

No fun in that. It must drop a minute per letter typed huh? I can just imagine what graphics do. :thud:

Koala77 03-03-2009 09:09 PM

4 hours?

I turned this laptop on half an hour ago and it was sitting with a battery at 93% full. Now 1/2 hr later, it says 56% and 40 minutes remaining, remembering of course that I've never used it before without having it plugged in.

Am counting down just how many minutes I do have on the battery without it plugged into electricity, and it's not looking good!

DM 03-03-2009 09:44 PM

That's how mine was acting Anne. I would give it a full charge and then it would only run a short while on battery. I can't figure it out, as like I said, DS's laptop is a yr older than mine and he's still on his first battery. Me?? #3 ordered. Go figure.

*scratching haid*

Koala77 03-03-2009 09:47 PM

Down to 24% and dropping fast!

Koala77 03-03-2009 10:22 PM

OK. My battery is on recharge!

It lasted 1 1/2 hours just doing normal stuff on NT.... no graphics at all, and it cut out completely when it was down to 5%. I didn't get a warning, the light didn't go dim, it just shut down.

SallyC 03-03-2009 10:48 PM

I've noticed that my battery doesn't last a long time. When I was without electricity, I used the battery, sparringly and it seemed that it didn't take long. I know it wasn't near 4 hrs.:mad: More like what Anne just reported.

Smilie 03-03-2009 11:35 PM

3 years ago, i probably dealt with all Dell salesreps in North America and in India for a full year, every few days, every week, before i totally abandonned the idea of buying my computer from them. :mad:

i initially had considered purchasing a laptop; then, opted for a desktop. :rolleyes:

i got totally contradictory information, and everything in between, concerning every details concerning both computer versions. :confused:

needless to say that i purchased it somewhere else. :p

wasn't there a recall, and a lawsuit against Dell for some laptops because of the batteries? i'd suggest you check this out on google for your model. :o good luck!

Koala77 03-03-2009 11:39 PM

Hmmmm. It took the battery 1 1/2 hours to go flat, and it took 1 1/2 hours to fully recharge again, so for all those who were wondering........... now you know! :D

Jomar 03-04-2009 01:04 AM

copy of my post on the computer forum about batteries.

I came across some laptop battery info -

[How to prolong lithium-based batteries
Simple Guidelines

* Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

* Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.

* Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.

* Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)

* Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.

* If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge.

A lithium-ion battery in use typically lasts between 2-3 years.]
http://batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

[ Given that Liuim ion batteries have so many problems, there are a few guidelines that you can follow to prolong the life of your batteries. Some of these guidelines might be too impractical to follow in everyday life, but they still serve as an advisory towards some practices that are a complete no-no for Li-ion battery users.

1. Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40% - 60%. Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled") like Ni-Cd batteries, but this is necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any external electronic "fuel gauge" (e.g. State Of Charge meter). This prevents the fuel gauge from showing an incorrect battery charge.

2. Lithium-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4v to 3.0v per cell. Most of your devices will handle this automatically. Even the finished batteries that you buy from authentic dealers will have an internal cutoff to prevent a complete discharge.

3. imageLi-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly. However, do not freeze the batteries.

4. Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.

5. When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, the battery should be removed, and stored in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.

6. There is some benefits to fully discharging your lithium battery periodically, for laptops this can be especially important. If you start to notice your battery meter is becoming more and more inaccurate, it may be time for some battery calibration. By allowing your lithium battery to fully drain, this will help the battery recalibrate allowing for more accurate measurements of battery life. This should be done once every 30 charges or when you notice battery readings are off.

even some of these recommendations will help you derive the longest possible life out of your batteries and also help you save some money to spend on buying the latest new electronic gadgets]
http://etechland.blogspot.com/2008/0...ur-li-ion.html

guess I should pull the battery out of my laptop- I don't use battery power much at all. Only if I take it outside.

DM 03-04-2009 09:26 AM

Thanks alot Jo! Until Christmas last year, I was using my laptop on my lap with a pillow under it, so it makes sense after reading your post, that my battery was getting overheated. In fact, I asked my DH to get me a device that could sit on my lap, yet allow my battery to breath, as it would get so warm on my lap, esp w/it sitting on a cushy pillow.

He bought me a solid lightweight surface w/a pillow that is velcroed on the bottom to protect my legs. It's really neat and is made for laptops, so my pc battery can breathe now and not cause heat. But, I was having alot of battery charging problems before then, so the damage was done.

My new battery should be here today, so I will definitely use this new information to prolong it's life. I really really appreciate all the information everyone gave me.

Moi had sent me some similar info too, so thanks Muwah!!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Anne~ We can send our batteries to the old folk's home. :hug: