NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Bizarre News (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/87119-bizarre-news.html)

azoyizes 05-16-2009 11:01 AM

Bizarre News

Early this morning, a little after 4 am, we heard a loud boom and the house shook. After looking around inside and out we didn't see anything, and so went back to sleep.

This morning, DH found out that it was an earthquake! A little one, but still we can hardly believe that that is what we heard and felt.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/205002

SallyC 05-16-2009 11:11 AM

:eek::eek: "You felt the earth move under your feet" :rolleyes:

SWOhio hasn't had an earthquake in awhile?

azoyizes 05-16-2009 11:33 AM

Sally, I don't know if Salem, Virginia has ever had an earthquake before.

I feel the earth move under my feet.
I feel the sky start tumblin' (?)

I used to know the words to that song. :)

Erin524 05-16-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoyizes (Post 510985)
Sally, I don't know if Salem, Virginia has ever had an earthquake before.

I feel the earth move under my feet.
I feel the sky start tumblin' (?)

I used to know the words to that song. :)

Link to this morning's event http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/...ehnw0516a.html

A link to a Wikipedia page of previous earthquakes in Virginia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_seismic_zone

Kitty 05-16-2009 01:07 PM

We had an earthquake here in GA a few years back. It was around the same time, too.....very early A.M.. It was the talk of all the radio shows and local news because so many people heard and felt it. It woke me up and it was very unsettling until we found out exactly what it was. One man called into a radio station and said "that's the most action my bed has had for years!". :rolleyes:

DM 05-16-2009 01:43 PM

Probably a good thing you didn't know what it was at the time, maryann. You certainly wouldn't have been able to go back to sleep then. Glad it didn't do any damage.

Curious 05-16-2009 02:33 PM

We had a 3.3 here in North Texas at around 11:30am.

We don't get earthquakes...really weird.

oldsteve 05-17-2009 04:32 AM

I've only been through two minor quakes. The first in Albuquerque, NM when I was in high school. Late at night while watching the late-nite 'creature feature' on TV. The fireplace equipment started to rattle for no apparent reason. Along with the scary movie, it was rather unnerving.

Second was in San Diego, CA. I was at a bar playing pinball and the ball seemed to take on a mind of its own. Wouldn't go where the flippers flipped it. And I had only had two beers!

Niko 05-17-2009 05:41 AM

Hiya Maryann,

Earthquakes can happen nearly anywhere... the big ones are near or on the fault lines ... the little ones are sometimes echos of deeper ones nearer a fault line ...

As for Virginia... years ago when I lived in Hampton Roads, Newport News to be exact, there was a very minor shake. Most people didn't know it and found out on the local news that night :)

Niko

braingonebad 05-17-2009 08:17 AM

We had a little one years ago. I felt something, but didn't realize that's what it was until I heard it on the news. Like everyone else, I thought it was just blasting at the quarry.

Personally, in that area, you ought worry more about the blasting. ;)

Kitty 05-17-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niko (Post 511295)
Earthquakes can happen nearly anywhere... the big ones are near or on the fault lines ... the little ones are sometimes echos of deeper ones nearer a fault line ...

So......does this mean that a larger earthquake near the fault line is eminent? Where is the fault line, anyway? Seems like the smaller earthquakes are spaced out all over the U.S.

Curious 05-17-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niko (Post 511295)
Hiya Maryann,

As for Virginia... years ago when I lived in Hampton Roads, Newport News to be exact, there was a very minor shake. Most people didn't know it and found out on the local news that night :)

Niko

This is the second time in recorded history of earthquakes in this area. The last one was last October.

Lots of specualtion about all the recent oil drilling in the area causing the change.

Erin524 05-17-2009 09:21 AM

I've felt tremors before. The weird thing was, they were from earthquakes that were happening on the coasts (The east and west coasts of the U.S.) I live in Nebraska.

One was an earthquake that happened in either North or South Carolina in the late 1980s. I was at the local mall here in Omaha. Sitting on a seat. I felt a tremor in the square bench I was sitting on. My friends that were with me felt it also, and we were wondering what it was. When we got home, we found out that there had been an earthquake in one of the Carolina's.

The other one happened in 1989. The Loma Prieta earthquake in San Franscisco. I was working in a McDonald's here in Omaha, and was on break out in the lobby. We had these benches that were attached to the wall of the building, it went down that entire wall, and had plate glass windows behind it, and there was a line of tables that went the length of the wall.

I was sitting there, eating my Big Mac, and all of a sudden the bench was wobbling. There was just me, one customer and my boss sitting on that bench at the time. I remember feeling the shaking, and looking up at my boss and that customer, and we were all like "what is that, making the bench shake??". Our store had tv's on the wall, but I cant remember if the tv was on, or if it was the store radio, but we heard the announcement about the earthquake in San Francisco at about the same time as we felt the shaking of the bench. I was all excited that I'd felt it and could actually connect the time to an earthquake somewhere else.

Both times I felt the shaking like that, was weird. It was just enough shaking that I could feel it...the one in 1989 was a lot stronger than the first time I'd felt anything like that tho. But it wasnt anything more than the bench vibrating for several seconds.

We had an earthquake here in Nebraska in the mid-90s. It was along the Humboldt Fault and I think it was a 2.0 or close to a 3.0. I cant remember exactly what year it was tho. I did feel that one. It knocked over a stack of videotapes that I had on my tv stand. (tall stack of tapes. Think I had 10 to 15 tapes stacked on top of each other)

azoyizes 05-17-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braingonebad (Post 511315)
We had a little one years ago. I felt something, but didn't realize that's what it was until I heard it on the news. Like everyone else, I thought it was just blasting at the quarry.

Personally, in that area, you ought worry more about the blasting. ;)

Blasting, huh? Maybe those are the strange sounds during the day that we can't identify! :D

I love deer, but I wish someone would come along and blast some of these blasted deer that come out of our woods and feast on nearly everything. There have been times when I've counted 15 of them. I send Montana out to slaver and bark at them and sometimes they scatter, but mostly they just stand there and look at him. :confused:

azoyizes 05-17-2009 09:56 AM

Oh, I thought you had to be on or near a fault line to experience an earthquake. We were four miles from the epicenter, and I think it was a 2 something.

Thanks for posting those sites Erin, I'll look at them. Our DS and DIL live near LA, so they're used to quakes. He knew about this before we called because they have a website that notifies them of an earthquake anywhere in the world, and ours showed up on it!

I really think once in a lifetime is quite enough for me to experience something like this. Even though nothing was damaged, no objects moved or toppled over in the house, and Montana was awake but unconcerned--just curious when we got up and started walking around the house in the middle of the night, it was still scary. :yikes:

Things when through my mind when it happened, like maybe a car hit our house, or the fridge somehow fell over, or the hot water heater fell through the floor. :mfr_wha:

AZjanie 05-17-2009 01:04 PM

[quote=braingonebad;511315]We had a little one years ago. I felt something, but didn't realize that's what it was until I heard it on the news. Like everyone else, I thought it was just blasting at the quarry.

Personally, in that area, you ought worry more about the blasting. ;)[/quote

I bet it's the same one I remember 'cause we had one in Toledo years ago and nearly scared the puddin' outta me!

I thought it was the duPont plant exploding because of the chemicals!! DH was on the way home so I knew he was safe but I was worried about the others at work. :confused:

Thank goodness it was just a lil ole earthquake...wait...earthquake!!
YIKES!!! :eek:

kicker 05-17-2009 04:07 PM

I was in college going places during our break and a friend and me went to San Francisco, A 5.4 on the Ricter scale hit, we both drove behind a bed. Trying to be cool (we were like 19), called the front desk, got a hysterical clerk who yelled "get in the street". Then it was over. 32 years later we still talk about it sometimes.

Twinkletoes 05-17-2009 08:21 PM

I've lived in Utah for around 35 years -- we're still waiting for The BIG One!!!

DH and I were on the couch in the basement when we had an earthquake. I immediately stood up to go upstairs to balance the load in the washer! DUH! :o

About 3 years ago (before MS diagnosis) I would wake up of a morning and feel subtle movement of the bed and think it was a minor temblor. Later I decided it was just ME. Is it hot in here?

Judy2 05-18-2009 01:01 AM

YIKES!!!! Glad to hear no damage or injuries!!!

Dejibo 05-19-2009 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoyizes (Post 511356)

I love deer, but I wish someone would come along and blast some of these blasted deer that come out of our woods and feast on nearly everything. There have been times when I've counted 15 of them. I send Montana out to slaver and bark at them and sometimes they scatter, but mostly they just stand there and look at him. :confused:

Let me get mah gun maw...i be right thar. :cool: Venison is good eating!

azoyizes 05-19-2009 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejibo (Post 512157)
Let me get mah gun maw...i be right thar. :cool: Venison is good eating!

That would be great, Dej, but they have a law here that says you can't shoot any type of weapon or anything within the city limits. So, the deer are taking over. No garden is safe unless you have it surrounded by a 15' fence with razor wire on top! :D

kicker 05-19-2009 10:12 AM

Cross-bow?

Niko 05-19-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 511316)
So......does this mean that a larger earthquake near the fault line is eminent? Where is the fault line, anyway? Seems like the smaller earthquakes are spaced out all over the U.S.

Here's a link from the US Geological Survey. Quake info. by state:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/states/

Niko:cool:

azoyizes 05-19-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 512271)
Cross-bow?

Nope. Maybe a sling-shot.

Erin524 05-19-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azoyizes (Post 511361)
Oh, I thought you had to be on or near a fault line to experience an earthquake. We were four miles from the epicenter, and I think it was a 2 something.

Thanks for posting those sites Erin, I'll look at them. Our DS and DIL live near LA, so they're used to quakes. He knew about this before we called because they have a website that notifies them of an earthquake anywhere in the world, and ours showed up on it!

I really think once in a lifetime is quite enough for me to experience something like this. Even though nothing was damaged, no objects moved or toppled over in the house, and Montana was awake but unconcerned--just curious when we got up and started walking around the house in the middle of the night, it was still scary. :yikes:

Things when through my mind when it happened, like maybe a car hit our house, or the fridge somehow fell over, or the hot water heater fell through the floor. :mfr_wha:

You can feel an earthquake anywhere on the planet. (except for when you're flying in an airplane)

I'm not so worried about a big earthquake happening here in Nebraska, even tho I've felt the little ones occasionally. I'm more worried about the super-volcano in Yellowstone National Park. If the super-volcano in Yellowstone decides to blow it's top, it'll put a nice big hole in the middle of the country. Omaha will probably get scraped off the map by the blast.

The Yellowstone volcano usually pops off about once every 600 thousand years. It's been 600 and forty thousand years since the last eruption. It's overdue.

I want to take a trip to Yellowstone someday. It's too expensive of a trip for me tho.