NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   keeping my head above water (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/90070-keeping-head-water.html)

kicker 06-17-2009 03:31 PM

keeping my head above water

I'm in a chair, my left leg and hand are useless but I have a pool. In the pool this weekend I "walked" and put weight on my bad leg and feel better now still, I get cooled, exercised, do a little therapy. It's right off my deck too!!! I'm ordering a Wet Vest - will hold me upright in deep water, head out of water,allow independence in pool. Been using a tube or a boat life-vest - both not right. Wet Vest fairly expensive (looked around on-line, one place wants $22.00 for shipping, found one who ships free.) but pool was expensive, love using it, this will allow me to fully.

Aarcyn 06-17-2009 04:25 PM

my single biggest problem is that DH is never home to "watch" me. I am still in the beginnings of pool aids. I got a couple things.

The pool temperature went down due to "cooler" weather.

Thanks for the wet vest idea. I know who to ask when I am ready!

marion06095 06-17-2009 05:11 PM

Good for you, Kicker. We installed a SwimEx swim spa in our garage two years ago, and I adore it! No matter how bad I am feeling, slipping into that wonderful weightlessness is heaven. I know for sure that it helps me a lot.

PolarExpress 06-17-2009 05:47 PM

Ah, kicker!! That's great news ~ hope you get a lot of use out of that pool this summer!

Judy2 06-17-2009 06:47 PM

Way to go, Kicker!! Any improvement in independence is a blessing! :)

NurseNancy 06-17-2009 07:48 PM

that's great kicker.
i hope the new device is what you need.
keep up the good work.
i've heard that pool exercise is great because it's low impact.

braingonebad 06-18-2009 07:09 AM

Cool beans, Kicker! Glad you're trying the vest. Try whatever might help you make the most of that pool, is my advice. You only get so much summer.

;)

Arcyn - we bought a heater on ebay. It's not as expensive as you think to heat it. I only turn it on for a couple hours before I get in, and it's worth it to get a few extra days of swimming.

Dh installed it so that saved $$$ too.

I love my pool too. When nothing else will unkink everything that's tied in knots, I can go out and get all relaxed. It's only as much exersize as I make it, as much as I'm up to that day. I like to use a pool noodle or two as a head rest and float like that - good for the stiff neck. Then just kick around. My arms don't work much that way.

If I'm really feeling lazy I just stand in front of a jet and listen to the birds.

:D

soxmom 06-18-2009 08:05 AM

I love my pool too.:) Ive tried the water walking as suggested by my doc,
but it is too painful for my feel. Its like walking in sand for me.:(

But I love to straddle a noodle and bob(verb) in the deep end using my
arms....this feels great and is good exercise without really using the legs.:)

Its been so bleepin cold:(:confused:I cant wait for the temp to go up just a little so
I can jump in.:)

enjoy yourself Kick!:hug:

kicker 06-18-2009 08:56 AM

[QUOTE=soxmom;524913]I love my pool too.:) Ive tried the water walking as suggested by my doc,
but it is too painful for my feel. Its like walking in sand for me.:(

But I love to straddle a noodle and bob(verb) in the deep end using my
arms....this feels great and is good exercise without really using the legs.:)

Its been so bleepin cold:(:confused:I cant wait for the temp to go up just a little so
I can jump in.:)

It hurts but hurts more on floor- so
seldom try. No pain, no gain I hear.
I've seen Bob (Noun), I'd never straddle him!!! (LMAO)

Aarcyn 78!!!! Jeez, I Wait for that here!!!

BGB, Summer is just so long. Winter is coming.

soxmom 06-18-2009 09:01 AM

Bob is my dh.:D I was just making sure everyone understood what I meant(verb);)lol

kicker 06-18-2009 09:51 AM

Well, if Bob is your DH, that's different for you. (I've never seen your Bob, just weird Cousin (Dh's) Bob and Bob on TV with, you know.

ewizabeth 06-18-2009 10:06 AM

Keep up the good work Kicker. :) The only time I get to swim is on vacation. Someday I hope we can put in a small pool. DH is always worried about the property tax increase as well as the upkeep.

kicker 06-18-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewizabeth (Post 524981)
Keep up the good work Kicker. :) The only time I get to swim is on vacation. Someday I hope we can put in a small pool. DH is always worried about the property tax increase as well as the upkeep.

There is a lot of upkeep but DH, Me, and kids (and their friends) love it. When they're gone and we're old, things will change. (a small inheritance made pool possible - otherwise, doubt it would exist)

Aarcyn 06-18-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 524941)
Aarcyn 78!!!! Jeez, I Wait for that here!!!

You are in the pool and it is NOT that warm?? DH and I are such wimps. We take the slow torture, going step by step. Getting the stomach wet is the hardest. Then having to put our arms down. We giggle like little girls.

Do you just jump in:eek:? Ah, DH and I would never get wet if we lived in your neighborhood!:D

hollym 06-18-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewizabeth (Post 524981)

I'm lucky that my MIL bought a house with a lovely inground pool that we can use all summer. I find that I can decrease my Baclofen when I am swimming more.

About the property tax increase, we had friends who just put in a pool and they did a partial inground. Because half of it was above ground, it couldn't be considered a permanent improvement because it could theoretically be removed if they moved. So, there is no property tax consideration here in PA. I don't know about Illinois, but that may be something for you to consider.

kicker 06-18-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollym (Post 525026)
I'm lucky that my MIL bought a house with a lovely inground pool

The best pools or hot tubs belong to others who let you use them.

FluteMaker 06-18-2009 03:30 PM

what about just a plain old water ski vest ? ive even seen those at target and kmart.....no shipping involved and you can have it right now.id imagine any place that sells water skis would have them

kicker 06-18-2009 05:59 PM

I have a boating life vest but it's not right for what I need but a water-skiing vest is different. Will look into this. Thanks!!