NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   what to do?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/134695-what-to-do.html)

elle010188 10-08-2010 01:08 PM

what to do??

hi!!!im a new member...

just asking, if ever a Parkinson patient needs to visit other country
for vacation,is there any problem bringing her medicines??like levodopa/carbidopa??baclofen???or she needs a written order about her medicines???oh i hope someone can help me about it....thanks in advance...

EnglishCountryDancer 10-08-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle010188 (Post 702711)
hi!!!im a new member...

just asking, if ever a Parkinson patient needs to visit other country
for vacation,is there any problem bringing her medicines??like levodopa/carbidopa??baclofen???or she needs a written order about her medicines???oh i hope someone can help me about it....thanks in advance...

I do not know if this will help you as we live in the U.K.We have travelled all over the world,including China and Cuba as well as the usual European countries, carrying Parkinson's medication. We have never had any problems. We do carry a note scribbled by our doctor to say this is necessary medication, but we have never had to show it. Trouble can occur if you need codeine,which is in many pain killers,including some migraine tablets.This is, I believe, paricularly a problem if travelling to or through, some of the Middle East countries.

JoAnnC 10-09-2010 07:02 PM

Have only traveled to Canada and Mexico, but no one questioned us about medications. We didn't have to report what we had, and no one asked if we had anything. My only recommendation would be that you make sure all meds are in the prescription bottles in case they would question you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishCountryDancer (Post 702755)
I do not know if this will help you as we live in the U.K.We have travelled all over the world,including China and Cuba as well as the usual European countries, carrying Parkinson's medication. We have never had any problems. We do carry a note scribbled by our doctor to say this is necessary medication, but we have never had to show it. Trouble can occur if you need codeine,which is in many pain killers,including some migraine tablets.This is, I believe, paricularly a problem if travelling to or through, some of the Middle East countries.

jeanb 10-09-2010 10:52 PM

Just back from Glasgow...

I had been advised to bring my meds in their original containers, so that's what I did. No problems - no one asked me about them. My firm recommendation is be sure to bring them in your carry-on baggage. :eek:

Jean

EnglishCountryDancer 10-10-2010 03:16 AM

P.S

I would add to always carry more than you need in case their in a delay in returning home,expecially if in a Third World country.Never put them in the luggage that goes in the hold, but as others have said,keep them on you at all times.The only problems I have heared about is when medication is large and bulky and exceeds the cabin allowance.

rd42 10-10-2010 07:47 AM

So far I've been to Kenya and Ireland. I carried the original containers, in my carry on just in case the luggage got lost, and on my key chain pill holder. I always take far more than I will need, just in case. The pill holders are great, I've never been asked about the medication, I have two on my key chain.

http://www.jazebra.com/images/produc...01-175x134.jpg

girija 10-12-2010 12:46 PM

I carry a mini-pharmacy!

I travel all over the world, some short trips and several long trips (2-3 months) and I carry all my medications (3 months supply of 5 different pills + vitamins + whatever other stuff I am taking) in my carry on bag. My carryon bag is pretty much full of medications and I look like a walking pharmacy! I always carry doctor's prescription and meds in the original container. I have been to several countries in Europe, Dubai, Singapore, Hongkong and India. So far, I have not had any problem at the airports, never been stopped or questioned about the meds or the mini-pharmacy in my carryon bag.

Girija