NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Is ambien safe to take 6 weeks after a concussion? (Still healing from it) (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/216358-ambien-safe-6-weeks-concussion-healing.html)

john1960 02-19-2015 10:50 PM

Is ambien safe to take 6 weeks after a concussion? (Still healing from it)

Just wondering, I've always had minor insomnia, even before the concussion.

Mark in Idaho 02-19-2015 11:07 PM

Many have tried Ambien after a concussion. Some have had negative experiences.
Do you practice good pre-sleep and sleep hygiene ?

john1960 02-19-2015 11:31 PM

I do have good sleep hygiene, but sometimes I get insomnia despite that. I have taken ambien in the past on an as needed basis for those times I need to feel confident I can get a restful 8 hours.

I know I have a recurrent theme to my questions, but my concern is not so much with possible transient side effects of the ambien, but more if taking a 10 mg pill here and there would inhibit healing in any way..

My gut says no but I just wanted to run the question by on the forums.

Mark in Idaho 02-20-2015 12:20 AM

Even if it did, a delay of a day is just that.

Ambien may cause your memory to not function at its best. Check out http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mic...b_4905460.html

john1960 02-20-2015 12:27 AM

True.

Transient is something I can deal with. My question always goes back to , would taking a 10mg ambien cause any *permanent* deficit in overall healing..

I guess the overall concensus is no? as well as that is what my gut tells me..

Mark in Idaho 02-20-2015 12:45 AM

If Ambien was strong enough and toxic enough to cause a permanent deficit in healing, I would think it would be able to cause damage without a previous concussion.

Did you see the Huff Po article I posted ?

john1960 02-20-2015 01:02 AM

I did read the article and what it says on memory. I understand a lot of these medications have negative side effects.

My question, specific to post concussion is, do you think ambien intermittently here and there would have any permament effect on healing 6 weeks post injury..

I know ambien has side effects of its own, but just wondering if it would specifically impair (permanently) healing during a post concussive period.

Mark in Idaho 02-20-2015 01:11 AM

I think I already gave you my opinion. Google Dr Peter Breggin and see if he has a comment. Google Peter Breggin and Ambien. You'll find some interesting articles.

john1960 02-20-2015 01:14 AM

Trying to keep simple here:

Just looking for either : yes I believe a small amount of intermittent use ambien can permanently effect healing

or : No I do not believe a small amount, if not being used chronically, will cause any effect on permanent healing

russiarulez 02-20-2015 01:03 PM

I don't think anyone can tell you for sure if Ambien causes any permanent damage.
I personally believe that a drug this powerful causes some damage, although it might be at a microscopic level.

Having said that, I've taken Ambien starting about a month out from my concussion (prescribed by a neuro).
I couldn't sleep at all so had to take it. Had some weird side effects from it after about a week of daily use so I stopped.

Now i do take it occasionally on as needed basis, I usually split the 10mg pills in half and that has the same effect as a full pill. I still don't get a full night sleep with these, but it helps me to fall asleep for a few hours.
I usually feel very groggy in the morning after taking it and have a headache and need several hours to start feeling better.
My ENT doc told me to avoid taking it since it affects the brain so much.