NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Flu Shot? (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/177168-flu-shot.html)

Mari 09-29-2012 01:18 AM

Flu Shot?

Hi,

Have any of you gotten a flu shot this year?

I have been putting off getting the shot because I feel run down. For some reason I want to be in good shape to get the shot --- not sure that it matters.

M

bizi 09-29-2012 09:03 AM

I have not gotten the flu shot in years...just don't like the idea, hear of people getting sick after getting them.
bizi

mrsD 09-29-2012 10:00 AM

I have a current thread about this subject here:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...303#post918303

It is really a personal choice these days. The evidence of the ingredients should be researched by people, and on that thread, are the names of each brand available today.

There can be many reactions to these shots, which are really pushed on people now by advertising everywhere. That is alot of injecting of foreign substances into people who may be reactive to them. Notice H1N1 is included in them along with 2 other strains. Why do we need yearly H1N1?

The virus in them is moot, as it is dead. It is the adjuvants and potential contaminants which come along for the ride, plus the egg proteins (allergenic) and antibiotics and other substances, to consider. It is also difficult to even get a list of the ingredients. Some years I have been unable to even find them!

So in the end, each person is going to have to decide for themselves. It is not enough to go with the flow, or do what others recommend IMO.

Abbie 09-29-2012 10:57 AM

Both of my parents have gotten their flu shots and haven't jad any trouble at all. My sister, niece & bro-in-law all got that new flu shot....my niece loved it!!!! Said she didn't feel a thing....She's 8days away from being 6yrs.

I plan on getting my flu shot when I go to my next doc appt.

Abbie

Brokenfriend 09-29-2012 04:24 PM

I got my Flu shot on Thursday. I'm doing O K with it. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Dmom3005 09-29-2012 05:03 PM

I haven't gotten one this year yet.

I beleive I'm due a pneumonia shot too this year.

I am not sure what I will do about the flu shot this year.

I'm not having the most healthy year.

But I usually get it. Derrick has had his this year.

Donan:grouphug::hug:

ginnie 09-29-2012 06:46 PM

Hi Mari

There are alot of opinions on this for sure. I had a bad kind of flu about 8 years ago. I never want a repete, it took me almost 6 weeks to recover. I get my shot, and I don't get sick from it. This years shot was a little sore the next day, but not bad at all. Also they now have a very very tiny needle involved with many practices. Ask your doctor what he recommend for you. I will get one every year for the rest of my life because of my experience in my older years with flu. ICKY, ginnie:hug:

Mari 09-29-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginnie (Post 918415)
Ask your doctor what he recommend for you.

Dear Ginnie,

The experience with the flu sounds awful.

I am worried about the additives in the shot.
I am exposed to lots of people during my work day.

THat is a good idea to ask my doctor. I am avoiding deal with her and postponing an appt I with her.

I think if I asked her about the flu shot, should would say yes. She likes to recommend things. But maybe I should see her, even if only to feel better about a decision about the flu shot.

M

ginnie 09-29-2012 07:22 PM

Hi Mari

Hi, and I understand your concern about additives. I think they have corrected any problems with this. Unless you are alergic to eggs, I don't think it would be a problem. I do have a compromised immune system, so even more important for me. I would get 10 shots and risk most any symptom, rather than to get that flu again. It was type A asian flu, gotten on a cruise, which is a floating petri dish. Yes close quarters with lots of other people can be a danger. That is why most all health care professionals get their shot. More risk from the flu for sure, than the shot, especially if you tend to get sick easily. Also cold winters, where people are confined, carries more risk. I hope you ask your PCP, and do bring your concerns about the additives to his or her attention. wish you the best, NO flu. ginnie

bizi 09-29-2012 08:21 PM

our local walk in clinic is advertizing "preservative free flu shots".
So I am thinking that some people felt the preservatives were an issue?
bizi
since I am taking a cruise in feb...maybe I will get one this year.