NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   pinched nerve? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/184479-pinched-nerve.html)

julie4470 02-23-2013 07:28 PM

pinched nerve?

So, I get this pain in my back sometimes that does sort of seem like a pinched nerve. It usually begins around my right shoulder blade and then moves up to my shoulder /neck. It begins with pain and then seems to begin that burning feeling. However it will stay for a few days and then go away. Then it seems the discomfort will be more in my legs and feet for a while, then eventually back to my back. Crazy! Would pain from a pinched nerve come and go like that? I never seem to know which body part will be the lucky winner for the day.

SallyC 02-23-2013 07:43 PM

This whole thing began for me, as what I thought was a pinched nerve.
I only wish it had been.:(
Anyway, it could be Julie, but who knows?:hug::hug:

Sparky10 02-24-2013 10:03 AM

I've been seeing a chiropractor for many months now. I've learned that the pain and/or tingling I get in my hands at night is most likely a pinched nerve. Told the chiro about it and he said try moving your head around, holding positions for just a moment to see what happens. When I find just the right spot, the pain or tingling starts to go away immediately.

Since your pain is in your arms, my chiro would say that comes from the neck vertebra. Anything below that comes from the lower spine.

Try moving your head around and hold it in different places for just a moment. If the pain is on the left, move your head to the right; anything opposite of where the pain is.

Hope you find relief in some way!

JENNIEO 02-27-2013 07:45 AM

This is one of the many things that frustrates me about MS. I had pain like that for 3 years which my neuro explained as being caused by the MS lesions in my cervical spine. However, after 3 years of that, one of my MRIs showed impingement in just about the same area as the lesions, and I went to some physical therapy that included some manual traction that seemed to temporarily help (for a year) . Just this past autumn I went to a Pain Management place and got some cortisone help, and it definitely helped. So the frustrating thing is that I could have had less pain 3 years ago if only I had pursued the pain and not accepted that MS was the culprit. I hope you find relief - that radiating pain is no fun.

mg neck prob 02-27-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julie4470 (Post 959983)
So, I get this pain in my back sometimes that does sort of seem like a pinched nerve. It usually begins around my right shoulder blade and then moves up to my shoulder /neck. It begins with pain and then seems to begin that burning feeling. However it will stay for a few days and then go away. Then it seems the discomfort will be more in my legs and feet for a while, then eventually back to my back. Crazy! Would pain from a pinched nerve come and go like that? I never seem to know which body part will be the lucky winner for the day.

Hi Julie not MS patient but you should ask for cervical MRI --the symptoms you describe sounds like c5 &c6 prob ask for mri because neck xrays wont show much but breaks-- not herinations which may be causing the problem. Best wishes!!

TXBatman 02-27-2013 01:03 PM

You might also look into a syndrome called "texter's neck" or various other nicknames. It is pain in the upper back, shoulder, and neck radiating into the arms that comes from holding your cell phone down in front of you when texting, playing games, or surfing the web. Over time, the position looking down irritates the nerves and can cause pain, tingling, and numbness down the arms. I had it for a while and as soon as I stopped reading my cell phone while laying in bed for long periods, it went away.