NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Creative Corner (https://www.neurotalk.org/creative-corner/)
-   -   My Lampworking (https://www.neurotalk.org/creative-corner/86399-lampworking.html)

libra 05-06-2009 07:14 PM

My Lampworking

5 Attachment(s)
I am attaching some images of the glass sculptures I have been working on. I make them by melting glass with a table mounted Bethlehem torch. So far my parkinsons hasn't been a problem in doing my glass art. Hopefully it stays that way!

Curious 05-06-2009 07:21 PM

:hug: Oh my gosh Libra...these are breath taking. Thank you so very much for sharing them with us.

We have a member named Wren...I'm going to give her a link to these. She will love them.

Lara 05-06-2009 07:41 PM

How beautiful. Well done, libra.

I especially love the first one, the fish.

p.s. yes, Wren is extremely talented too and she would love to see these I'm sure. ;)

Chemar 05-06-2009 07:41 PM

those are gorgeous Libra :)

libra 05-07-2009 12:05 AM

Thank you

It was nice to hear your compliments! But it's so much fun, it is hard not to like working with glass. I warn you however before you start, it is trully habitforming, lol.Thanks again. :D

Twinkletoes 05-07-2009 12:20 AM

Those are absolutely beautiful and professional. I hope you're charging people lots of money for them. (With the exception of your NT friends, of course!)

Thanks for sharing!

vini 05-07-2009 04:49 AM

well done

well done libra

beautiful work thanks for sharing :)

Alffe 05-07-2009 07:58 AM

absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing them with us. :grouphug:

Wren 05-07-2009 05:57 PM

Thank you for showing us such BEAUTY

Oh, my goodness...Libra ..... those are ASTONISHING .... breathtaking .... pure joy to took at. Thank you for for showing us.
How I wish I could HOLD one (or all of them :p) so I could see it from all views and the size.
What amazing talent you have.
Please show us more. Would it be possible to show us the steps .... ? I bet even people like me who have never even heard of a "Bethlehem torch" would enjoy that.

libra 05-07-2009 06:57 PM

Thanks again :D

I am amazed at all the compliments. Thank you very much. The sculptures are pretty small, about 2-3" tall. It is a long process to make them and takes so much practice I was astounded. If you like it though you will keep on doing it as much as you possibly can. I've been doing glass almost 2.5 yrs now and I go to glass studio 3-4 days a week practicing for about 8-10 hrs a week.
The sculptures have many steps to make. You have to first mix colors to make color combos you want to use. On cactus you will see many colors mixed. Then you melt all colors in for a certain element of sculpture such as bird and shape then into what you are going to make. Each piece has to be made separately and put in kiln to heat thoroughly. The hardest part is putting everything together. You have to weld (melt glass between 2 pieces) until all parts are together. Throughout the assembly process you must continuously heat sculpture thru and thru as it is being assembled. You don't want it to crack from thermal shock between 2 or more areas of different heat bases. As you are doing all this you are holding the piece not with your hands but a clear rod that has been attached (welded)to sculpture (called a punty). You attach it with a cold joint so when you are finished it just snaps off at connection point instead of having to be melted off.
Sorry for being so winded, but I love to talk about glass.
Wren, I hear you are very artistic. What kind of art do you do?