NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Flare up out of the blue (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/34904-flare-blue.html)

billy027 12-29-2007 08:52 PM

Flare up out of the blue

I was doing fine except for finger problems(ulnar) and normal TOS problems. Then starting yesterday my elbow is in very bad pain, my shoulder is sore and fingers are very bad. On top of that I started to get a harsh cough. I don't know what happened. Elbow is worst it has ever been. Darvoset's don't even cut the pain much. Took 3 today and I usually only take 1 a day if needed.

Has anyone experienced flare up like this for no apparent reason. Ever have bad elbow pain on outside that flares to pinky?

Jomar 12-30-2007 01:18 AM

I can really notice rough weather changes & storms.
but it could be a flu or bad cold if you're getting a cough too - those can hit you harder with more soreness.
Even sleeping a bit wrong can mess you up at times.

trix 12-30-2007 01:45 PM

Stress can really mess you up. Even if it doesn't feel like you are under stress. Christmas is a stressfull time. I know that I flare up terriblyunder stress.

tshadow 12-30-2007 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy027 (Post 181202)
I was doing fine except for finger problems(ulnar) and normal TOS problems. Then starting yesterday my elbow is in very bad pain, my shoulder is sore and fingers are very bad. On top of that I started to get a harsh cough. I don't know what happened. Elbow is worst it has ever been. Darvoset's don't even cut the pain much. Took 3 today and I usually only take 1 a day if needed.

Has anyone experienced flare up like this for no apparent reason. Ever have bad elbow pain on outside that flares to pinky?

To answer, yes. The hand and elbow pain were actually some of my very first symptoms, and five years later, still points where pain emanates from. (Excuse the grammar.)

As far as flares, I believe that neurogenic TOS is progressive. It has been for me and others I know. Sometimes the flares have a relation to use of the arm or body in general. Other times, no relation, and just the progression of nerve damage.

If you have therapies that relieve you, other than meds, use them. I have never responded to PT. Gentle massage can help me.

I have tried to avoid drug use, but in year 2, could no longer avoid it, and it ramped up rather quickly as the lesser drugs did not touch the pain. I recommend a specific pain management doctor at the point where your pain is controlling every aspect of your life, as mine does, or sooner.

God bless you and I am sorry you have this disorder.

finz 12-30-2007 11:56 PM

I'm sorry that you are in such a bad flare right now. I'm sure the coughing isn't helping.....think about all of the muscles (right around the thoracic outlet) that are involved in that simple act.

I hope it passes soon !