NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   PN Tips, Resources, Supplements & Other Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/pn-tips-resources-supplements-and-other-treatments/)
-   -   R Lipoic and probiotic (https://www.neurotalk.org/pn-tips-resources-supplements-and-other-treatments/188193-lipoic-probiotic.html)

Idiopathic PN 05-08-2013 02:15 PM

R Lipoic and probiotic

Kefir has been my probiotic until I decide to just finish my supply now in the refrigerator. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I am having some problems with my sugar. Since 1cup of Kefir (with flavor as I can't take the plain one) has 20 carbs and 20 sugar, I will substitute Kefir with the Jarro probiotics (this product is also the product recommended by the National Jewish Health for those taking antibiotics). According to the direction, the capsule should be preferably taken on an empty stomach. Since R Lipoic should also be taken on an empty stomach, can I take these two together and still get the maximum effect of R-Lipoic? I don't have much window for meds which are taken on an empty stomach.

Thank you.

mrsD 05-08-2013 03:07 PM

Yes, you can take them together as far as I know.

If you get the unflavored Kefir there are much fewer carbs. I seem to recall 8 gms? But I might be mistaken, its been a long time for me. The fruit ones tend to be higher in carbs.

I used to mix the peach and plain 1/2 and 1/2... at times.

Idiopathic PN 05-08-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 981878)
Yes, you can take them together as far as I know.

If you get the unflavored Kefir there are much fewer carbs. I seem to recall 8 gms? But I might be mistaken, its been a long time for me. The fruit ones tend to be higher in carbs.

I used to mix the peach and plain 1/2 and 1/2... at times.

I like kefir too much that its hard for me to let go of this product. I use the blueberries and strawberries favors. It has helped me a lot. But, since my sugar has been elevating, I started to single out each food item I take and check my sugar after 1 hour, sadly kefir makes my sugar high:confused:

I can't tolerate the taste of the unflavored kefir.

Thank you MrsD for your reply. I will start to take the Jarrow probiotic and my R Lipoic together.

mrsD 05-08-2013 04:53 PM

Try mixing a fruit one with the unflavored... it doesn't take much to flavor it. I am only using it now twice a week. I used it daily for almost a year! I think I've reached a "steady state" but then I am not on antibiotics like you are. ;)

Idiopathic PN 05-08-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 981911)
Try mixing a fruit one with the unflavored... it doesn't take much to flavor it. I am only using it now twice a week. I used it daily for almost a year! I think I've reached a "steady state" but then I am not on antibiotics like you are. ;)

Thank you mrs.d. I'll probably try it some time. For now, I need to look into my elevated sugar.

All the things happening in my body just overwhelming. My mantra used to be "one day at a time" now, it has become "one moment at a time".

My neuropathy has no flare up, as some would describe it. My pain is every day. Some days are not as bad as other days, but still the pain is there. For a long time, I kept a journal to track what food, activities or medicines that trigger but no trend at all.