NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Effects of general anesthetic post-concussion (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/154969-effects-anesthetic-post-concussion.html)

greenfrog 08-07-2011 05:03 PM

Effects of general anesthetic post-concussion

Just wondering whether it's safe to go under general anesthetic if you suffer from PCS (or after recovery). Can the anesthetic re-trigger symptoms, given that we are "once concussed, always concussed"?

I think the author of Brainlash mentioned this as a potential area for further research. Obviously, there will be times when general anesthetic will be necessary (ie, for an essential operation), but I'm wondering if it's something to be avoided where possible.

Mark in Idaho 08-07-2011 09:25 PM

I would suggest avoiding general anesthesia at all costs. Not only can it cause a relapse of symptoms but there are a lot of anecdotal reports of lasting symptoms. Some lawsuits have been filed against the drug makers.

I would personally try to avoid all inhaled anesthetics. They appear to be the worst. Do a google search for anesthesia and memory loss or cognitive decline. You will find a variety of articles. Beware of the articles written by persons or organizations supported by the pharmaceutical industry.

Personally, I have needed extended periods of recovery after anesthesia. My father, whose suffered from ischemic dementia took a decline in mental skills after anesthesia for prostate surgery ( 3+ hours) My mother took a similar decline after major abdominal surgery at the age of 84.

Many surgical procedures can be completed under local or spinal anesthesia. Abdominal surgeries need more intense anesthesia to stop the diaphragm from moving.

Some propose use of a brain activity monitor to limit the over use of anesthetics. Worth talking to your anesthesiologist before any surgery.

There was a thorough discussion of this on a different forum but I can not find the thread.

greenfrog 08-07-2011 10:40 PM

Thanks Mark. It makes sense to me - flooding a PCS brain with powerful anesthesia for a prolonged period seems to be inviting trouble. Have you heard any comments pro/con on "twilight" anesthesia specifically?

Jinxicat9 08-08-2011 10:24 AM

I've had "twilight" anesthesia twice since my TBI with no issues...Well, except for thinking I was an astronaut while under :Head-Spin:

I had surgery a few months ago under a general anesthesia...It took me a little longer to come out of it, but no other issues. I did go through a pre-op consultation with the surgeons and medical staff so we were all on the same page regarding my TBI and TBI related epilepsy. The epilepsy was of more concern than the TBI.

musiclover 08-08-2011 02:16 PM

Thanks for posting this....I may be going for my 3rd sinus surgery this fall and most definitely want to research this topic!

lacrossefan 01-28-2016 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musiclover (Post 793898)
Thanks for posting this....I may be going for my 3rd sinus surgery this fall and most definitely want to research this topic!

Just wondering if you went through that sinus surgery? I'm looking into sinus surgery about a year after my 3rd concussion. Thank you!

Mark in Idaho 01-28-2016 01:34 PM

lacrossefan,

I had two surgeries last October. I has a septoplasty and turbinoplasty. I had a deviated septum that my ENT thinks was caused by my bike crash in 1965. I had enlarged turbinates that I have had since I was 4 or 5.

I tolerated the anesthesia very well. I recovered from the nose surgery anesthesia much faster than the shoulder surgery anesthesia (versed was used with the shoulder).

What kind of sinus surgery are you considering ?

lacrossefan 01-28-2016 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1196043)
lacrossefan,

I had two surgeries last October. I has a septoplasty and turbinoplasty. I had a deviated septum that my ENT thinks was caused by my bike crash in 1965. I had enlarged turbinates that I have had since I was 4 or 5.

I tolerated the anesthesia very well. I recovered from the nose surgery anesthesia much faster than the shoulder surgery anesthesia (versed was used with the shoulder).

What kind of sinus surgery are you considering ?

Thanks for the response Mark! I'm not completely sure my ENT said I have a partially deviated septum and sinus disease (chronic sinusitis). I wanted to do balloon sinuplasty because that's local anesthesia but my insurance doesn't cover that. Whatever I do will have to be under general anesthesia. Thinking it might be worth it though because I have sinus pressure along with headaches a lot.