NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Normal Visual Evoked Potential? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/193416-normal-visual-evoked-potential.html)

Juniebear 08-28-2013 12:50 PM

Normal Visual Evoked Potential?

So, had the VEP test yesterday. Got a call it was normal. Still not sure what I have, though my PCP has been suspecting MS. My symptoms also point toward MS. Blood tests have ruled out Lyme, lupus, etc.

What I'm wondering is the normal VEP; does that now rule out MS?

SallyC 08-28-2013 01:08 PM

The only thing that rules out MS, is another disease causing your
MS symptoms. Hang in there.:hug:

tkrik 08-28-2013 01:37 PM

Having a normal VEP does not rule out MS. I have had normal VEP's right along. My optic nerve pathways are fine. Other pathways, well, that's another story for another thread. :D Basically, your optic nerve pathways are normal but that does not exclude MS. What other testing have you had?

karilann 08-28-2013 01:50 PM

Yes, my optic nerve is fine too. I was reading the other day that eventually 100% of MSers will experience some sort of visual disturbance. Not sure what I think of that.

The only thing that clinched it for my Neuro was a positive MRI. I had the symptoms and had some issued separated by time (for me it was bouts of numbness in different parts of my body).
However; my MRI kept showing up clean. Then one day.....boom.....6 lesions show up on the ole MRI. Boom.....diagnosis.....MS.

Erika 08-28-2013 03:09 PM

My VEP is messed up but the neuro who didn't have my history, sent a report to my MS neuro that said something along the lines of "...possible MS". I took that to mean that even a VEP that is not clear does not necessarily mean that the person has MS. It may be just one more clue.

With love, Erika

Juniebear 08-29-2013 02:18 AM

Thanks!
I've had ct scan, mri of brain and spine, blood work, and now the VEP. All have come back normal, except one lesion on my brain mri. This new neurologist said he is going to personally review everything. Said forget the other Neuro saying you are making it up and don't take the neurontin she prescribed. We are starting this all over.

He did find some decreased sensation and strength in my left leg yesterday. Also I sway a lot with rhomberg test and cannot walk heel to toe. Said overall my exam is ok, but something is definitely going on. He said he will not give any meds or specify what he is looking for until he is sure of what I have. I asked about my PCP saying ms and hejust nodded and said don't worry or stress we will get you a diagnosis.

Debbie D 08-29-2013 09:01 AM

I had a normal VEP also...and it took several years after that before I was dxd.

Patience is the main word when symptoms begin appearing...it's a combination of McDonald criteria and MRIs, I guess...my lumbar puncture was also normal.

Keep a symptom journal with dates, and remember to list your questions so you don't forget them in the doc's office.

And get on with living...I know how frustrating and fearful it is not knowing what is causing all of this. But as we all probably did, spending hours googling it and not going on with living is not something I wish to remember on my death bed. I still obsess about it all, but because it is interfering with normal duties at times, which can be scary as time passes.

Keep us up to date, please!! We all are a great support system and have lots of info from the patient's perspective, and most of us have been on a long journey to diagnosis. Plus, we're a nosy bunch;)

KittyLady 08-30-2013 10:19 AM

Ive had MS for 21yrs and my VEP is still normal. At least something about me is normal :D . Don't stress about it. This is not a quick and easy in and out kind of thing to diagnose. So many things to rule out and then like Debbie said its a combo of the McDonald scale, MRIs, LPs (that can be optional per dr's) etc. It all takes time and a WHOLE lot of deep breathing and patience. Im not so good at that last part...