NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Before taking any med go to askapatient.com (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/9033-taking-med-askapatient-com.html)

Nacho 12-15-2006 06:02 PM

Before taking any med go to askapatient.com

Before you take a medication you are not sure of, go to askapatient.com and type in the name of the drug. It will give you a long list of other peoples experiences with this drug, and thier reactions to it.

Nacho

darlindeb25 12-16-2006 05:48 AM

Thank you, I just checked out the med I just went on and it has very favorable reviews and I really needed to hear that. Thanks!

dahlek 12-16-2006 09:03 AM

Nacho, a good idea

however, there are times when you have to take it a step further.

Many of us take more than one medication, in my case up to five different kinds daily. I have found that reading up on the med manufacturer's web sites and listing all common and rare side effects is crucial to my well being. By comparing s/e's I've found that each med alone or a few combined don't create new side effects but when you add that last ONE into the mix, well alarms start sounding. It's that combo of meds that can become a real and true problem.

At that point, when adding any new med, read very carefuly about it's s/e's and be super alert for new problems. Then call the new med's mfr. They have to record your 'adverse incident' by law. If we don't tell them of the problems no one will know. Some doc's usually do not report these problems as they should so it's up to us!

I will definitely check out that site, it'd be interesting to see how many others are on combinations that I call 'toxic mixes'. - j

nide44 12-16-2006 10:43 AM

Thanks for the url. I'll keep it bookmarked.
Very good source of reference for medications.
This can be a useful tool. I find anecdotal info. very heplful.
Thanks, again.

Brian 12-17-2006 01:40 AM

Thanks for that good info Nacho, i think that site would be a " great stickie "
for future referance for all.

mrsD 12-17-2006 01:25 PM

and after visiting, if you see

your mouse commands hesitate, like mine just did today, you will want
to run SpyBot the the equiv and remove the spyware which may be there.
( I went there 4 times in the last 2 days and my mouse just got confused/delayed --and now it is better after running the SpyBot).:confused:

Wing42 12-17-2006 10:28 PM

That's a great site. Thanks. I've added it to my bookmarks.

For Physician's Desk Reference type drug information, I like www.rxlist.com .

Wittesea 12-18-2006 10:01 AM

I use www.drugs.com for medication info.

They have the PDR version available, and the "patient information" version available for each medication. They also have a pill identification area, and an drug interactions checker.