NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   DD is not graduating with her class.... (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/149985-dd-graduating-class.html)

DizzyLizzy 05-11-2011 12:55 PM

DD is not graduating with her class....

We found out yesterday that my DD will not be graduating with her class....:(

I have so many emotions running through me right now. Sad, mad, embarrassed, humiliated, empathic, concerned, pi$#ed, relieved... We have sent out 'save the date' announcements via email and fb, people have rsvp'd, my sil changed her schedule around at work for the month of June (2 wkds), just so she could be here for the graduation party/commencement.

These past few weeks have been so incredibly stressful. LOA from work because of stress, and now this.

I just cancelled the tent and port-a-potty for the party, and I could not help but cry....

Oh, and to top all of this off, DD's BF of 2 yrs broke up with her last week....(via phone call) She is so upset and I'm really worried about her.

Jomar 05-11-2011 01:42 PM

lack of Credits??
My DD didn't graduate with her class either - credits lacking for misc reasons..
She did some online school time ( Connections Academy) -but still was lacking too many credits to catch up quickly so we eventually did the GED thing.

Found a GED study site online that has many of the actual test questions so it is faster & easier to study for the test.
I think it was this site- http://www.passged.com/

SallyC 05-11-2011 01:45 PM

Awwwww Amy...that sucks. I'm sorry..:(
Is there any chance they will change their mind?

Hugs for you and DD..:hug::hug:

DizzyLizzy 05-11-2011 02:06 PM

She will be 1 credit shy....if it was .75, she would walk with her class.

She was doing GREAT until her Sr. year, as far as credits go, so she is really lucky to be only 1 credit short. She started PSEO (post secondary education oppty) which is basically the ability to go to the community college for 'free'. In the fall she took 4 classes, dropped out of two, got an F in one and a D in the other. She signed up for 2 classes 2nd semester and 2 High school classes. She is doing great in the HS classes, however dropped out of the Intro to Bus class at the college, and just found out yesterday that she did indeed 'fail' her english class.

Keep in mind, if you have kids in HS that take PSEO classes, you do not have any right to 'monitor' grades, even if they are still minors! My DD is turning 18 next week, and I had ZERO access to her class information at the college due to MNSCU rules. I don't even know that it would have mattered....after all, she is 17 and of course 'knows it all'....

I am so bummed...

Jules A 05-11-2011 08:36 PM

I'm sorry it worked out this way. Life lessons are pretty painful sometimes. :(
Although I'm sure this wasn't a surprise to her I think you are smart to be on the lookout for depression especially related to her recent break up. :grouphug:

Lady 05-11-2011 10:28 PM

Amy, I am so sorry to hear this. :hug:

She must have known. But like you said she knows it all. Too bad she let you plan everything and invite people. And now the break-up. Yikes! I prayed a lot when my kids were in their teens.

Will she go to summer school and make up the credit?

Jomar 05-11-2011 10:42 PM

I did the application / sign up at the local community college for my dd, so I have the log in info for it , unless she changes the password or something , but she hasn't taken classes there yet anyway.

1 dumb credit... it just stinks , Is she interested in trying to do a special report or paper for the teacher to get that final credit?

Seems like they would work with you on such a small thing.
Or does she just want to blow it off.

If I only realized how far behind my dd was ....and how it would set her back...

Erin524 05-11-2011 11:00 PM

I flunked 8th grade. No big deal, I was the youngest kid in my class. I took the year over, at another school. (where the students were sadistic little <swear words>). Then I went on to high school at a catholic school.

Just before my senior year of high school, my mom decided she wanted to move. So we moved to another house, and I switched to a public school. (closer to my house and was free. Catholic school was $6k a year) About April of my senior year of high school, I was called into the counselor's office, and they told me "Remember all those credits you had from those religion classes at your old school?". "Yeah...those dont transfer.". About 15 credits worth.

I had no idea these credits werent going to transfer. The story they told me was that kids dont normally transfer from a private school to a public school. (What??) And apparently it got overlooked.

I ended up going an extra year to high school. I could have gone to night school, summer school and some daytime normal school and graduated around Christmas that year, but just decided to go the extra year and get a real graduation rather than the "here's your diploma" in the mail after Christmas that year.

It wasnt that big a deal to me to have to go to school a little longer. I wasnt the only 20yr old graduating. (we had one guy who had gone to high school for 7yrs, he got a standing ovation when they said his name. Apparently he'd been ill, but wanted to finish high school. He was 23) I figure as long as I graduated, I didnt care how long it took. I was friends with a few of the other people that did a little extra time in high school, (think there were 5 of us) and all they were concerned with was that they got their diplomas. They didnt care that it took extra time to get it.

Dejibo 05-12-2011 06:31 AM

There must be something that can be done, no? speak to the principal, the counselor, the teacher of her lowest ranked class, ask for special assignments, or a way to bump an old grade, or do community service in exchange, or have life credit bumps or whatever it takes. I would argue like the worlds best lawyer till someone heard me. If one door got locked in my face, I would shift to the next door. Call the school board! Speak to the town selectmen! Call the School administrator! There must be ONE credit worth of something laying around somewhere, yes?

Im sorry this is happening to you. :hug:

tkrik 05-12-2011 11:34 AM

Amy - I feel for you and will keep you all in my prayers. I think others have given great suggestions in regards to the credit - seeing if she can do something to make up that one credit. Additionally, some places will let the student walk with the class on graduation night.

When DD19 was graduating almost 1/2 of the class was not going to graduate and walk with the class. Those last few weeks the lacking 1/2 of the class kicked butt and got their work/credits in and were able to walk with the class and get their diploma.

Hang in there!:hug: