NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Diabetes / Insulin Resistance / Metabolic Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/diabetes-insulin-resistance-metabolic-syndrome/)
-   -   How bad is living with type 2 diabetes? (https://www.neurotalk.org/diabetes-insulin-resistance-metabolic-syndrome/10497-bad-living-type-2-diabetes.html)

Jennifer 01-06-2007 11:04 AM

How bad is living with type 2 diabetes?

I just had a lipid profile done Wednesday, and won't have the results back until a couple of weeks, but I was wanted to know, How bad is type 2 diabeted to live with?

The Crystal Cave 01-06-2007 03:55 PM

Hello, Jennifer,

Lipid profile checks cholesterol and triglycerides, it's not a diabetes-related test in any way, so -- unless you have had other tests performed as well -- I wonder if perhaps your doctor or other healthcare professional didn't give you enough information about which tests were being ordered.

In any event, Type II diabetes is controlled by diet (eating the right amounts of the right foods and avoiding the ones that are not) plus weight control and exercise. (Stress can drive blood sugars up, too.) Many people take oral medication to help the body use the insulin they produce on their own, and much less commonly some people supplement with insulin.

The American Diabetes Association has a great deal of information. You might find some of it helpful.
http://www.diabetes.org/type-2-diabetes.jsp

It's stressful to have to wait for test results of any kind. I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

TCC

johnny1 02-19-2007 10:48 AM

U ask how bad is diabetes typeII

Diabetes II caught in time , livable . its bad is when it starts causing other problems . sores dont heal, any cut can be a infection, develope psoriasis hives echzema. neuropathic problems

side effects of food , drinks etc.

depends on the individual everyone is diferent lioke any other illness

i hope i gave you some insight

dorrie 04-01-2007 04:15 PM

Hi Jennifer. I really hope that by now you have received some good results from your tests. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes Oct, 06, and I have found it extremely difficult to cope with. I have not yet got my sugars under control and battle this daily. I cannot seem to get my excess weight to budge either, which I am sure is contributing to the high sugars. My doctor dosen't want to put me on meds yet, but day to day I live with high sugars, throbbing headaches, nausea,extremefatigue and the list goes on. I am determined to get it under control and won't give up. That is why I am here!!

michael178 04-09-2007 02:09 PM

I think of type 2 as a minor annoyance

dorrie 04-11-2007 11:08 PM

I wish I could look at it that way! Do you have Diabetes Michael178?:)

shiney sue 04-12-2007 12:48 AM

Michael 178 silly you Jennifer is here for help:rolleyes: Dorri what is easy for some is hard for others,if you like and trust your Dr. hang in there..But sounds like you may need meds. speak up and tell him how bad you feel,try to loose weight.Is there a debectic center in your hospital,perhaps he can send you there they have more time to explain everything..Good luck to you and Jennifer..Sue :)

Jennifer 04-12-2007 11:21 AM

I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I just wanted to know a few things just in case I am diagnosed later on. He put me on Tricor for my Triglyerides and again I just want to say thanks to everyone who responded.

Jennifer

dorrie 04-15-2007 06:08 PM

How are you doing, Jennifer?:)

oscar 05-18-2007 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer (Post 56540)
I just had a lipid profile done Wednesday, and won't have the results back until a couple of weeks, but I was wanted to know, How bad is type 2 diabeted to live with?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the forum...

I'm 58 and was dx'd type-2 in my mid 40's.

I'm still on pills, currently Januvia & Avandamet.

Living w/diabetes? No question, it's not fun.

My biggest problem is sweets. I know I can't have it so, for me, it's like a drug! I crave it! :(

My short list of suggestions...

1) smaller meals more often
2) count carbs
3) regular exercise
4) TEST FREQUENTLY

For me, testing is one of the few things that really makes me behave! :winky:

I'm currently misbehaving! :eek: