NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Looking for some opinions (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/224100-looking-opinions.html)

boiler1993 08-04-2015 10:07 PM

Looking for some opinions

So I recently started a new job and since then I have been having more problems and I am wondering if they are neuropathy related or not (or if others have had similar symptoms).

1. The office is cold and I am not sure if this i the cause but when I am sitting at my desk for a period of time one of two things will happen - either I will get a crawling sometimes almost vibrating sensation in my legs that is constantly moving (like in little zaps but not painful just vibrating or crawling) or I will get stinging (almost like the hairs under the skin on my legs are needles trying to get through the surface) - the latter is usually more intermittent.

2. I often wake up in the morning and my feet burn and then usually it worsens when I put my shoes on but eventually dissipates at the office (is it possible heat is causing it?).

3. Today I was in a meeting and I got this very distinct stabbing feeling behind my left knee. It would happen like every 20-30 seconds for about 10 minutes and then stopped all together.

My symptoms have always been sporadic so I never know if they are neuropathy related or just some other occurrence - opinions would be greatly appreciated.

zkrp01 08-05-2015 12:25 PM

Sounds familiar

Quote:

Originally Posted by boiler1993 (Post 1160164)
So I recently started a new job and since then I have been having more problems and I am wondering if they are neuropathy related or not (or if others have had similar symptoms).

1. The office is cold and I am not sure if this i the cause but when I am sitting at my desk for a period of time one of two things will happen - either I will get a crawling sometimes almost vibrating sensation in my legs that is constantly moving (like in little zaps but not painful just vibrating or crawling) or I will get stinging (almost like the hairs under the skin on my legs are needles trying to get through the surface) - the latter is usually more intermittent.

2. I often wake up in the morning and my feet burn and then usually it worsens when I put my shoes on but eventually dissipates at the office (is it possible heat is causing it?).

3. Today I was in a meeting and I got this very distinct stabbing feeling behind my left knee. It would happen like every 20-30 seconds for about 10 minutes and then stopped all together.

My symptoms have always been sporadic so I never know if they are neuropathy related or just some other occurrence - opinions would be greatly appreciated.

The symptoms sound like Neuropathy, two or three quick-fire questions. Are you diabetic? Are you post Chemotherapy? Did you make a living up to your elbows in cleaning solvents, paint strippers, toxins? These are just a few of the usual suspects. Good Luck, Ken in Texas.

janieg 08-05-2015 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boiler1993 (Post 1160164)

I can add a comment on this problem...

I am EXTREMELY sensitive to being cold since developing neuropathy. My symptoms become more pronounced and more widespread. I get these "rushes" in localized areas of my body that are similar to that "chill up and down your spine" feeling.

I do everything I can to stay warm, and my symptoms are better in the warm months than cold. I live in a very hot area of the country now that it's summer, and I ridiculously carry sweaters or jackets anywhere where I might have to spend a prolonged amount of time in cold air conditioning. I learned that after doing everything I could to not shiver in the dentist's chair. :eek:

boiler1993 08-05-2015 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zkrp01 (Post 1160313)
The symptoms sound like Neuropathy, two or three quick-fire questions. Are you diabetic? Are you post Chemotherapy? Did you make a living up to your elbows in cleaning solvents, paint strippers, toxins? These are just a few of the usual suspects. Good Luck, Ken in Texas.

The answer to all of these is no. I should have mentioned that I was diagnosed with non-length dependent SFN this past winter (based on an abnormal SGNFD in the thigh and abnormal QSART testing). I am also about a week away from getting results for one of the sodium channel mutations.

boiler1993 08-05-2015 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janieg (Post 1160316)
I can add a comment on this problem...

I am EXTREMELY sensitive to being cold since developing neuropathy. My symptoms become more pronounced and more widespread. I get these "rushes" in localized areas of my body that are similar to that "chill up and down your spine" feeling.

I do everything I can to stay warm, and my symptoms are better in the warm months than cold. I live in a very hot area of the country now that it's summer, and I ridiculously carry sweaters or jackets anywhere where I might have to spend a prolonged amount of time in cold air conditioning. I learned that after doing everything I could to not shiver in the dentist's chair. :eek:

I get very cold too but I also think I may actually have bad circulation because my fingers will turn purple sometimes in the office. Have you ever had problems triggered by drinking a cold drink? (when i am in the office and cold already and drink from the water coolers - which are chilled- this often causes the stinging pain). I also sometimes have problems with the heat - except this causes a sensation of water running down my legs. I just never know what things are symptoms because they are such a mish mash of reactions.

janieg 08-05-2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boiler1993 (Post 1160436)
Have you ever had problems triggered by drinking a cold drink?

No, can't say I've had that problem. But pronounced chills I get when I'm cold I also get when I get "the chills" from hearing something exciting or scary. Whatever the response mechanism to that is what's triggered by being cold.

boiler1993 08-05-2015 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janieg (Post 1160451)
No, can't say I've had that problem. But pronounced chills I get when I'm cold I also get when I get "the chills" from hearing something exciting or scary. Whatever the response mechanism to that is what's triggered by being cold.

Now this is interesting because if I am surprised or caught off guard I sometimes have the same stinging pain that I get when I am cold except sometimes it covers more of the body. I had never heard anyone else to have this!

boiler1993 08-05-2015 09:02 PM

Also I am wondering if anyone can think of a reason that the burning in my feet is only in the morning (when most people say burning is worse in the evenings)?

razzle51 08-07-2015 12:57 PM

mine burn in the morning and then sometimes at night . what meds are everyone using . I have tried so many

Neuroproblem 08-07-2015 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razzle51 (Post 1160845)
mine burn in the morning and then sometimes at night . what meds are everyone using . I have tried so many

it seems your PN is brought on by cold, almost everyones pn, is usually constant throughout the day, usually gets worst at night because of low temperature or high temperature.