NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Olhipie...UTI...gonna drive me crazy!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/136131-olhipie-uti-gonna-drive-crazy.html)

tamiloo 10-25-2010 07:30 PM

Olhipie...UTI...gonna drive me crazy!!

Sorry so long but needed to be...In July my honey had a major exasperation and the doc set him up on Solu-Medrol for three days...everything went great and he was back to his usual self in no time...

The doc chose to keep him on the three dose of SM every month...however I think its to much....but what do I know...I'm just his Caregiver!

Well, since then he has gone in every month for his three doses. For a very long time he was on the one dose a month and we chose to go off of it because he only got sick and then well right before the next dose....Grrrr!
Anywaze...last month about three days after his doses he started to get very sick to his stomach...very loose...with no control of bowels...fever high...low blood pressure...high pulse....At first I thought it was the flu...nope a UTI almost Septic!

Four years ago he nearly died because of a UTI that went Septic.

They did treat the infection by mouth and injection and was well very quickly...
Well, last week he had his dose of Solu-Medrol for the month and today he started all over again with the same symptoms as last month! Called all of his doc's and took urine in to the Urologist and he gave me a few days of Cipro 500mg.

Crazy...he can't even remember what happened last month...however I do have a caregiver journal I keep track of everything...so I read it to him this morning. He keeps wanting to get up but when he sits up he feels sick to his stomach again and I get him back in bed again. Its not like him not to get dressed everyday so this drives him nuts!

Victor H 10-25-2010 08:00 PM

I hope that the Cipro works well and that you both get a breather from the mess.

-Vic:grouphug:

SallyC 10-25-2010 08:23 PM

I don't know if solu medrol causes UTIs, but I do know that it can cause a UTI to rage..:eek:
I had an awful time trying to cure one after Solu Medro steroid infusions and the the oral after.:eek:

Too much steroids is not a good thing IMHO!!

Tell OLHipie we are praying for him to recover soon and for you too..:hug:

Debbie D 10-25-2010 08:30 PM

Prayers for your dear one to heal...and for you to have strength...bless you for being so caring!!:hug::hug:

tamiloo 10-25-2010 10:31 PM

Thanks Vic...:hug:

Sally, it doesn't help to have a Supra-pubic catheter in...always brewing a little bit of stuff!!;) :hug::hug:

Thanks Debbie for blessings! :hug:

He is sleeping right now...snoring or purring depending on how load...lol...daughter brought a chocolate shake and he drank half...what a great kid!

PolarExpress 10-25-2010 11:35 PM

(((Tamiloo & Craig)))
Gosh...It seems painfully obvious the solumedrol is having a negative effect on his health. Considering the previous UTI problem (along with everything else), why can't they back off on the roids? I'm no doctor, but seems like when a med is making life miserable for someone, or causing other possibly dangerous problems, not taking that med might be called for?

My thoughts, my heart, is with you both!

Dejibo 10-26-2010 06:58 AM

You say you are "only" his caregiver. Oh, my dear child, you are so much more than just a caregiver. Please dont sell yourself short. you are his friend, his lover, his advocate, his nursemaid, cook, housekeeper, and so so so much more!

as a caregiver you have power! wield it! If you think the SM is too much to take so often, do your research and approach his MD with your conclusions. ask if you can go every 3 months or 3 times a year, instead of assaulting him with this stuff so frequently. It has major side effects! Bone loss, and so forth. your concerns are very valid, and I hope you honor that inner voice that is saying "hey! are we doing the right thing?" Maybe you are, and just need the MD to explain it better. Maybe you are not, and explaining it to the MD will help him understand your position better.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck UTIs are miserable. Just ask my kitty. Just ask me! eeek! a cath really does help, but the risk is so much higher if you have one. Hang in there. :hug:

tamiloo 10-26-2010 12:05 PM

Thanks Dejibo...at times I get a look from the doctors like I don't know what I'm doing. They always want to hear what Craig will say about how he is doing and he always says ask Tammy. The day I met my Olhipie almost ten years ago I became his Caregiver. A moment never goes by that he tells me how much great I am and how much he loves me.

His urologist trusts me to make the right decisions. He wishes I could teach all of his patients how to care for their catheters...in the four years since he had the supra-pubic catheter put in the skin around the stoma hasn't change at all...usually every few months the skin will erode away and they have to use a bigger catheter. We are still using the same size they started with...he is amazed at how well he is taken care of.

I left a message with his Neuro last night and his nurse called and I told her what was happening and she is going to talk to the doc and call me later.

He slept for more than twelve hours last night and said his tummy ache is gone...still in bed only because I'm making him stay there until I shower...teehee...I will keep you all up to date!! Love you all!!
:grouphug:

Judy2 10-27-2010 03:38 AM

"Ditto" what Dej said!! It sure sounds like too much SM to me also.....but then, what do we know??? My prayers and thoughts will be with you both for a quick solution to this problem. :)