NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Do you think you are going to recover? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/208391-recover.html)

sciencetoy 08-21-2014 12:30 PM

Do you think you are going to recover?

No, I don;t. I hope that I can get used to my situation and be able to live with it.

anon1028 08-21-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sciencetoy (Post 1090832)
No, I don;t. I hope that I can get used to my situation and be able to live with it.

No, not after 9 years since first insult to the head. I think I can be made more comfortable physically and mentally. But I will never be who I was. Scares me still to say that.

I was in the middle of Very successful career before I got sick, now I am on ssdi. Healthy as an ox now not so much.

But there are choices to make. I can go to the beach and take a walk and look at the water or sit home in the dark like ive been doing, eat more terrible food and have a heart attack in a year lol. I am hoping I do the former. will let you know later :)

bro, this thing is a monster and I have read your posts and know you are going through so much, I am always an ear to chew on if you need.

Galaxy1012 08-21-2014 02:26 PM

No. I don't think either that I will recover anymore . I will never be the same person again although it's been just 5 months as some might say. I know I still have time to recover but a part of me knows that that's it, I will have limitations forever and will always have residual effects left. This sucks but brain damages are almost always permanent although you might feel better with time, but never completely fine! Nearly every symptom will come creeping in when you will push yourself beyond your limit and this is the truth. You never actually recover from brain injuries and once you get this condition, there is no shaking it no matter what you do. The classic statement by doctors is true "you will have to learn to live with the symptoms for the test of your life"

Sitke 08-21-2014 04:08 PM

No, been told will never be 100% again which devastated me, some days I feel okay about it and this is the new me, other times I cry, hopefully as time goes by i'll accept it as what else is there to do?

The whole brain damage thing scares me, I feel "mental" sometimes, used to be so quick with everything, now notes are everywhere and I still forget to look at them so I feel stupid, I know it's not true of course but I just feel it especially when I'm around others.

When someone is talking to me it's like my brain needs time to catch up with what they just said, often have to ask again.

I also do try to laugh things off if someone says I look so confused, I find if I can see humor in it instead of getting upset it's better.

I did notice a little difference a few months ago when my brain felt a little clearer. I have down days but i am a fighter so try to think positive :)

SarahSmile0205 08-21-2014 04:58 PM

I am only 7 months in and have not given up hope yet... I am starting to but I have not given up hope that one day I will be able to go back to work at the same capacity that I was before and be the b**ch everyone loves

poetrymom 08-21-2014 05:25 PM

recovery is a marathon and not a sprint

I don't use the past tense word "recovered" for pcs. I say that I do live in recovery and in that I have regained much of who I was and what I had before the accident.

All of this who are afflicted with this eventually have to decide what we have to live with and work around, what is different, and how we are going to be in the world.

It's been said here before and I will say it again. You can live with a very full life with pcs. I have my issues. I am not always as fast as I was, my typing can be off, and the list goes on. None of what I have prevents me from living fully -- and I won't let it.

Hang in there and believe in your healing. Keep positive and do every thing you can to just reduce stress and be positive.

Take care

poetrymom

Marina22 08-21-2014 05:45 PM

No, I don't think I'll recover. After being at a completely symptom-free stage, all of my symptoms returned after a very minor bump. It's been almost a year - no improvement at all. I'm just hoping to get used to this and get at least some of my life back.

Hockey 08-21-2014 08:02 PM

I don't believe that the brain can ever be 100% the same after TBI. However, most of you will make good recoveries and move on with your lives.

I know, when you're in the throes of dealing with a myriad of symptoms, that that can be hard to believe. To illustrate my point, I'd invite you to peruse my "friends" list. The majority of the TBI ones are no longer on NT, because they got better. Yeah!

I sometimes worry that the presence of "lifers," like myself, can have a depressing and distorting effect on newcomers. In fact, after a long hiatus, I struggled with the idea of returning: I didn't want to bring others down. My injury and difficult recovery are ATYPICAL - most of you ARE going to get better. Hang on.

Laupala 08-21-2014 08:17 PM

My providers (doctors, PT, OT, therapist, all who specialize in brain injuries) keep telling me that they expect me to make a full recovery, and my rational side believes them, because most people with mTBI get better. But, for some reason I have a really hard time, especially the last few months, truly believing that, and I don't quite understand why. Normally I'm a very positive person who tries to see the best in things, and am generally have a positive attitude about how things will turn out. But PCS has driven that positive person away, and I can't seem to find him again.

Hockey, I appreciate what you said. I do think that part of my negativity about my recovery stems from seeing the horrible things that TBI can do to people on this board (but mostly the fact that I seem to simply not be getting much better!). I count myself lucky everyday that compared to many on this board my symptoms are mild. And while the presence of "lifers" skews much of what's posted on this board towards the extreme, I think you all also serve as an example of the resilience of the human spirit, and give hope that even if things don't get better, people can adapt.

anon1028 08-21-2014 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey (Post 1090934)
I don't believe that the brain can ever be 100% the same after TBI. However, most of you will make good recoveries and move on with your lives.

I know, when you're in the throes of dealing with a myriad of symptoms, that that can be hard to believe. To illustrate my point, I'd invite you to peruse my "friends" list. The majority of the TBI ones are no longer on NT, because they got better. Yeah!

I sometimes worry that the presence of "lifers," like myself, can have a depressing and distorting effect on newcomers. In fact, after a long hiatus, I struggled with the idea of returning: I didn't want to bring others down. My injury and difficult recovery are ATYPICAL - most of you ARE going to get better. Hang on.

The ones that are lifers like me, are thrilled you are on the board. And in fact, in some of the more distressing threads where people are hopeless after a month or six or even 19 months, we can give them some perspective of how much time they have left to make marked recovery.

And we can share our experience with the myriad medications and treatments we've had regarding personal efficacy and side effects for specific symptoms, and, although of course not universally applicable, are useful nonetheless.

we can prove to them that there is hope because with a stroke, ABI and TBI under the belt, I can still write a sentence like this previous one :)

AND we can stress the caution that is needed after a head injury, and being once a 19 year old male, I know how easily that caution can be thrown to the wind without proper warning.

And I find myself telling newbies at least once a week that it is unfortunately expected that their neuro just told them it's all in their head because their MRI is fine. and that MRIs will not pick up most concussions

... and the list goes on.

That's my two cents :)