NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   impact testing -- (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/158107-impact-testing.html)

wtrpk 09-27-2011 06:57 PM

impact testing --

can we take an impact test anywhere on line (free?)

I was wondering...can we take it...then assess it in a month and see if we're improving? is that how it works?

My kids play baseball mainly and it isn't required...but hockey and football require it. ...that's why I don't know much about it.

ConcussedJ 09-27-2011 09:15 PM

You need to have a doctor visit to take the Impact test.

I've found that where I live in Canada, the fee for the testing (because it's not covered under the public health care plans) can range from pretty nominal to several hundred dollars, depending on who's giving it and in what circumstance.

For sure you can re-take to reassess your progress.

Mark in Idaho 09-28-2011 10:32 AM

I took the ImPACT Test online years ago. I explained how I understand the system and they released the results to me. I paid $10 or so to take it.

It was administered through a psych time organization.

ConcussedJ 09-28-2011 09:47 PM

D'you remember where you did the test online Mark?

Mark in Idaho 09-29-2011 01:10 AM

I found this link in my favorites. They will administer the test but I don't know how they get the results to you. I don't remember if they are the ones who did it for me in November '08.

I lost my email response with the link to the results.

Hope this works for you.

ConcussedJ 09-29-2011 05:12 PM

Er, the link is missing Mark :)

comeback_kid_11 09-29-2011 06:57 PM

I was able to take the impact testing through varsity athletics at my school (I am a varsity athlete). I am very fortunate as my cognitive functions have not been impacted by my concussion. On the test I actually improved in all areas but one; what they called a "mixed" result. So in my case, it will not be very useful in determining when I can return to play. Just waiting for the headaches to go away.

ConcussedJ 09-30-2011 09:06 AM

Yeah, I'm not interested in Impact for return to play either, but I did have one done months ago with a doctor consult which was super-expensive. I just want to see where I am now without having to shell out too much cash!

greenfrog 09-30-2011 11:36 AM

I did an ImPACT test a couple of weeks ago. Unfortuately, I don't have a baseline from before my concussion, but my memory/reaction time scores were pretty good (in percentile terms, high 80s/low 90s), which was encouraging.

In hindsight, one of the challenges was accurately gauging my symptoms (they ask you to self-report on various symptoms, rating them from 0-6). I was feeling pretty good that day, and reported very low symptom scores for the most part. But a week or so later my symptoms flared up from exertion and travelling to and from appointments. Now (another week later) I'm cautiously starting to feel better again. It reminded me of something Sidney Crosby said in his press conference - namely, that if you'd asked him how he was doing a few months ago, it would have totally depended on the day.

So I think it's important for doctors to get detailed information from their patients about their symptoms, and not simply rely on the ImPACT results, which is just a snapshot in time.

Also, I don't think the ImPACT questionnaire included tinnitus, which is one of my primary symptoms. And while it asks about prior concussions, it doesn't allow space for listing possible prior concussions and subconcussive impacts.