NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Melody " the magic 8 ball " (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/11490-melody-magic-8-ball.html)

Brian 01-18-2007 11:27 PM

Melody " the magic 8 ball "

You told us about this " magic 8 ball " thing in my Water thread but you didn't come back to tell us Aussies what the heck you are talking about.
I was reminded last night watching tele, that " King of Queens " show, [ very good show too ],anyway that chubby guy pretended to shake something real hard then it was suppose to give him an answer, so i get the drift but whats it got to do with dunnies ???????????????? :)

MelodyL 01-19-2007 08:10 AM

The magic 8 ball was very popular back in the 1960's. It was a black round thing full of water and had some things floating inside of it. You asked it a question, for example "will I find love?" , you shook it and some little answer thing would float to the surface and it might say "you have a good possibility for that".

Now forgive my bad memory but what is DUNNIES???

MEL

mrsD 01-19-2007 09:38 AM

Dissection of a Magic 8 ball:

Here is a fascinating photo sequence:;)

http://8ball.ofb.net/procedure.html

glenntaj 01-19-2007 02:30 PM

Noiw THAT was hilarious--

--although, after I read the sequence a second time, I was wondering if it was INTENTIONALLY hilarious.

MelodyL 01-19-2007 05:59 PM

Honestly, what I posted about reading something through your urine in the bowl was actually said on Oprah.

Oprah was talking to Dr. Oz and she asked him what color urine is supposed to be and he said "you should be able to see through it" So Oprah said "write something on a piece of paper, drop it in the bowl and if you see through it, you're okay"

That is where I got the phrase from. Did you guys think I actually made this up? I'm not that good!!!!
But the Magic 8 ball thing WAS from me. God, I haven't seen one of those things in years.

Melody

Curious 01-19-2007 06:11 PM

melody, my 12 yr old daughter has a pink magic 8 ball and a magic 8 ball telephone. drives me crazy. the base of the phone says the sayings like from the ball when you answer.

this is the phone she has Attachment 728
it's hard to see, but the ball opens in half to talk and dial.

she has an elvis phone too. he sings "ain't nothin' but a hound dog" and dances when it rings. i am sooo thankful she is only allowed to plug her phone in on weekends. and only one at a time. :p

Aussie99 01-19-2007 06:24 PM

Dunnies!!!

Bathroom (American) = Dunnie (Australian)

Brian 01-19-2007 07:32 PM

Thanks Mel, it certainly got some laughs, which is great , what a nifty little device it never come over here as far as i know, i think the kids here were very busy mastering their " Coke Cola " " yo yo's " [spell ?] that would have been around the 1960's.
If you and Al ever come over here on holiday [with all those Millions you have :D ] the word " dunnie " might come in very handy :D :D mightn't hurt to know these ones too - the throne, the thunder box , the library,and there is a few more that i can't post here :D
I really didn't realize that we had so many slang words, have a look at this
http://www.aussieslang.com/slang/australian-slang-d.asp
Brian:)

MelodyL 01-19-2007 09:44 PM

The only australian term I know is 'shrimp on the barbie" and the only real Australian actor I was familiar with was the guy who played Crocodile Dundee. I will never forget sitting in the movie theatre and the actor Paul Hogan, I believe is his name, well he was in the subway system and a bunch of gang members started taunting him with one of their little switchblade things and Paul Hogan reaches into his back pocket, and takes out this LARGE blade, looks a the gang member and "you call that a knife??".

Well, the whole audience went blind crazy nuts over that line. That was the funniest picture.

And the first time we went to the outback steakhouse and we unrolled our napkins and my knife was four times the size of the my household steakknife, I burst out laughing and immediately thought of that movie. I never saw such big steakknives in my life.

And oh, that bloomin onion. I never in all my life enjoyed a meal like a did a the Outback Steakhouse. And the steak had 7 different kinds of pepper on it. Alan needed 10 glasses of water and said "we're never coming here again". He's not a fan of pepper.

But now we eat the chicken and the salmon and the mackeral and the salads and no more bloomin onion. (Oh the dipping sauce of that bloomin onion).
I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT MEAL. !!!! It was divine.

Brian 01-19-2007 10:30 PM

You have made me feel hungry Mel and i just got a call off a mate, saying he just got back from fishing and has 5 decent size Salmons that he can't fit anymore in his freezer, so i suppose i better go down and help him out:)