NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Call from neuro...lots of good that did... (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/51193-call-neuro-lots.html)

Debbie D 08-01-2008 06:43 AM

Call from neuro...lots of good that did...

I finally broke down and called the neuro regarding my leg/back spasms and heat related issues. They referred me to the nurse practitioner (grrr...) and she called.

She said that since I have problems on muscle relaxants (I stop breathing in my sleep while on them), she can't prescribe them. So she upped my gabapentin...she says it helps with spasms (if it helps so much, then why am I suffering from them so while I'm ON the stupid drug? of course I didn't say this, being the good girl my mom raised me to be).

Then I brought up my heat issues...excessive sweating on minor movement, weakness in heat after only a short time...
here's what she said...
"Well, we can't do anything about the weather now, can we?...giggle, giggle"

Wow, I am so glad I called for assistance.

Kitty 08-01-2008 07:34 AM

Just proves that unless you "have it" you just won't "get it"! :rolleyes:

I hate it when my Neuro or the nurse sort of blows off my complaints or issues like they're something I should just get used to. I take Neurontin, too, and for all the weight I have gained while on it I really haven't had great results in pain control. I already take 800 mg at a time.

The heat really gets to me, too. It's soooo hot here - upper 90's each afternoon. I just stay inside. Even if I go out to the mailbox by the time I'm back inside I'm exhausted and have to sit for a while in the A/C just to be able to function. I've been keeping my A/C set at 70 degrees and it just runs nonstop. I'm dreading the electric bill!! :eek:

FinLady 08-01-2008 10:25 AM

:hug: Debbie, sorry to hear you got the "yadda, yadda" speech. I had that too. The whole "well it's hot...yadda,yadda .... try to keep cool"

I do try to keep little tricks in my bag to help keep my body temp down, but sometimes it's still frustrating to be limited by the summer weather. Hope you feel better soon. :hug:

NurseNancy 08-01-2008 04:32 PM

i personally don't think neurontin or lyrica works for muscle problems.
i have severe muscle pain on a daily basis. i've tried lots of things but found the best relief from heat and wkly massage, which gets expensive.

i also take ultram (non-narcotic) which helps the pain and doesn't make me sleepy.

i don't tolerate the heat either so i know how you feel.
a little cooling collar ($5.00 from walmart) can help a lot.
other than that i really have to be careful or i'm "toast".

Erin524 08-01-2008 07:40 PM

I take Flexeril (muscle relaxer) and the occasional 1/4 of a pill of Baclofen if I'm having a huge problem being a spazz. I actually think that Flexeril seems to work better for me than the Baclofen.