NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Question: Noise Sensitivity New Symptom Anyone else? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/70007-question-noise-sensitivity-symptom-else.html)

SweetP 01-12-2009 02:10 PM

Question: Noise Sensitivity New Symptom Anyone else?

I have recently developed a sensitivity to noise. I don't mean loud noises, just people talking normally in a room. I am ok with one person, but several grates on my nerves (well I guess it does) Anyone else ever have this?:confused:

Kitty 01-12-2009 02:32 PM

YES!!! I've become very noise sensitive. Every little extra noise just grates on my nerves....especially if we're out somewhere and there's people talking loudly and other noises happening at the same time. It nearly drives me batty! I feel like a grump because I'm always complaining about noise of some sort but it's just so annoying!! :o

Jodylee 01-12-2009 02:45 PM

Me too! It's also very difficult for me to have a conversation with more than one person at a time :rolleyes:. You are not alone. I know many other MSer's here with the same issues. :hug:

Debbie D 01-12-2009 02:56 PM

Oh, yeah...but not all of the time. Sometimes I need everything to be toned down in volume. And when it happens in a crowded, noisy room, I get overwhelmed. That might be why I don't like crowds anymore...:(

lady_express_44 01-12-2009 03:02 PM

This happens to me when I am in an attack or whenever I am fatigued. It's like overstimulation or information overload.

I think I can only cope with so much input, then I short-circuit! For years that used to only be a problem for me when I was in, or recovering from, attacks . . . but it's a problem any time I am fatigued now too.

I do not attempt any social situations (even watching a ball game or shopping) unless I am fully rested.

Cherie

FinLady 01-12-2009 03:24 PM

Yep, sensory overload. Get this sometimes too. Definitely not alone with this. :hug:

Gazelle 01-12-2009 06:22 PM

I really experienced this back in 2003 when I had a long attack. My Border Collie and I both started shutting down at a family picnic at the same time--too much noise and too much motion. We both had to leave the area.

It still happens now, but it's more that I can't focus on things when there's noise. I don't get so overloaded as I did before. But sometimes I still have to get away from noise because it is overwhelming. I used to like reading with music in the background, but I can't do it unless it's the music that I used to study to in school. Otherwise it distracts me way too much and I lose my place, have to read things over again because it interferes with my concentration, and in general drives me up a wall. Ugh...

Hope you find a way to deal with it. It's not a fun symptom.

Koala77 01-12-2009 06:32 PM

This has been a problem for me for many years.

I've noticed that my hearing is very sensitive. I hear things others can't hear, and what's normal volume to others, is way too loud for me. Any sudden noises like a door slamming or similar, cause really nasty pain to my eardrum!

I've read that many other MSers describe similar symptoms.

SallyC 01-12-2009 09:24 PM

Yes, I've had this from the beginning. I contribute most of it to my anxiety problems. My AD helps a lot.:)

I notice much sensory overload, when my rugsrat grands are here...I hate it, but, I also love it..:D

Twinkletoes 01-12-2009 11:29 PM

Foam earplugs are my friends!

I wear them on planes and in restaurants.

I don't like to work (at my job) with music in the background. I'll listen to music at home, though.

I can only focus on ONE THING AT A TIME!!! If you want me to listen to what you have to say, then you'd better mute that TV or radio! :rolleyes: