NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Glasses/contacts give you headaches, dizziness or nausea? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/218582-glasses-contacts-headaches-dizziness-nausea.html)

cerebellarmaniac 04-09-2015 01:26 AM

Glasses/contacts give you headaches, dizziness or nausea?

Does anyone experience issues with dizziness, or nausea that they attribute to their glasses? I have found that it is hard to find a suitable prescription. Some days I feel my glasses are to strong and other days too weak.

I wonder if my neurological issue changes the amount of light that enters the eye? I have mentioned this to a neuro-ophthalmologist and he didn't seem to care. He was only interested in my eye control issues, not the functional aspects of my vision (I.e. my glasses).

Lara 04-09-2015 01:44 AM

My vertigo was much worse when I was wearing progressive lenses... short and long sight in the one pair of frames. I've never worn bifocals. Vertigo is still not great now, but it's much better. I was falling into walls and tables and things when I had the progressive lenses. I needed to move my neck/head up and down and round about to see where I was walking.

I now wear different ones for reading than for everything else. I used to wear contact lenses. Long distance in one eye and short distance in the other but after my first concussion I stopped wearing them and bought glasses instead.

I am also very sensitive to light [and noise] but always have been to some extent. Blue eyes and bright sunlight here where I live. Some months back I was having migraines a lot more than usual and felt that the bright sunlight was in some way a trigger for them.

cerebellarmaniac 04-09-2015 03:09 AM

I wear -3.5 contacts in both eyes. However, sometimes I find my vision is too sharp and overstimulating so I tone it down to a -3.25. My vision is basically the same still 20/20 in each eye, just not as crisp and worse at night. However, my dizziness is much worse compared to the stronger script

Yet, when I tone it down to a -3.0 the dizziness and nausea isn't as bad. Unfortunately, my vision isn't as good with this prescription. it's harder to recognise faces and signs from afar and to see finer details.

lemonbar 04-09-2015 06:12 AM

My glasses were prescribed with a blublocker tint in them and it helps with indoor light sensitivity. Only issue is it got lighter when they added glare coating and now I'm not sure it is dark enough to help in the bright fluorescent lighting. :(

cerebellarmaniac 04-28-2015 02:26 PM

On days that my visual issues (nystagmus, eye control issues) and dizziness are worse, I generally feel like I need to wear a stronger prescription. The sky also has a bleach like colour to it.

On the rare days when my vision seems to be very stable and dizziness is relatively mute I find my prescription is too sharp.

Perhaps when my eye control issues are more prominent the brain is less efficient at processing other things.

lyndianne 04-29-2015 09:30 AM

I'm not sure where you are cellabellarmaniac but a good optometrist who is certified in vision development might be able help you with issues you have in that department. I had a similar experience with a neuro ophthalmologist, but I was prescribed an FL-41 Tint on my glasses by

a developmental optomologist that helped immensely. I stopped walking around looking down to avoid visual stimulus. I kept finding really cool things on the ground in my years of looking at the ground ;-) Like lemon bar my 20% tint got lighter with the glare coating, so i have just

ordered a 40% and figure they might be better in some situations. I haven't gotten them yet so the jury is out on that, but I love my glasses and wear them constantly because they are

so helpful. I am able to go so many places I avoided. I even get in the shower and realize I still have them on because they fog up!