NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Visit to PDoc (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/47043-visit-pdoc.html)

mennayriu 06-02-2008 02:17 PM

Visit to PDoc

I finally got a diagnosis, today. Bipolar II along with quite bad OCD and anxiety. So, she majorly upped my dose of lorazepam from the original 0.5 mg/day to up TO 3.0 mg per day, as needed. We're keeping the 30 mg of prozac, at this point, because she said I should have been started on a mood stabilizer, first. The last thing she has me on is 100mg/day of Lamictol. Hopefully this will work out a bit.

Mari 06-02-2008 03:54 PM

Hi,

This is good news.
The Lamictal should help. I've never been on it, but lots of other people see improvement. Did she tell you how long it will take to notice a difference?

I hate Prozac and wish that she had lowered that for you.
But it is good practice to only change one drug at a time if possible.

M.

mennayriu 06-02-2008 05:01 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, Mari :) ...and she actually wants to INCREASE the prozac, eventually, for the OCD. I'll be picking up the bottles tomorrow and she said I may notice the difference right away or it may take a few weeks.

bizi 06-02-2008 05:46 PM

The lamictal should be started at 25mg then titrated up...wasn't sure if you just started taking that....
wonderful.
HOw did you like her?
becareful with the benzo...it is easily addictive and best to only take it in small doses.
I am so glad that you went to see your pdoc.
You must be feeling better.:hug:
bizi

mennayriu 06-02-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 291589)
The lamictal should be started at 25mg then titrated up...wasn't sure if you just started taking that....
wonderful.
HOw did you like her?
becareful with the benzo...it is easily addictive and best to only take it in small doses.
I am so glad that you went to see your pdoc.
You must be feeling better.:hug:
bizi

bizi-

the lamictal is some kind of starter pack, looks like...i'll be picking them all up tomorrow nite. the benzo? is that the lorazepam? they started me off on 0.5 mg, then went to 1 mg and it's not been doing chit, so we did start low.

i liked the pdoc. she really was great and listened. she gave examples and showed me how it could be controlled. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone :)

Dmom3005 06-02-2008 07:16 PM

Glad to read this. The lamictal can start helping fast or it can take time.

But once it kicks in it stays working.

At least with Derrick's seizures it did.

Donna

Mari 06-02-2008 07:34 PM

Dear Mennayriu

Quote:

Originally Posted by mennayriu (Post 291612)
i liked the pdoc. she really was great and listened. she gave examples and showed me how it could be controlled.

That's really great. You have the best thing -- a pdoc you can like and who is helpful.

Mari

mennayriu 06-03-2008 02:17 PM

Thanks, again, all :) I just took my first lamictal. It's a starter pack, starting at 25 mg a day for 2 weeks, then 50 for 2 more, then 100 for week 5. Hopefully I won't have any stupid side effects.

bizi 06-03-2008 05:53 PM

most people don't have any side effects with lamictal...I am rooting for you!
bizi:)