NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   What is the cause of leg weakness? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/164594-cause-leg-weakness.html)

offinthedistance 02-07-2012 10:52 PM

What is the cause of leg weakness?

I'm trawling through information here there and everywhere and can't get a definitive answer on this one.

Does anyone know what actually causes muscle fatigue and/or weakness especially in the legs? Walking through treacle, too tired to move, leg pain. Anyone with good explanations why?
thank you people. x

Erin524 02-07-2012 11:00 PM

I would assume it's because signals arent getting to the muscles, or the signals are really weak, and the muscles arent getting enough "information" from the nerves to tell them that they need to move. To us, that feels like weakness.

That's just my interpretation of it.

tkrik 02-07-2012 11:14 PM

I think it depends on what is going on. There are lots of things that can cause leg weakness, right down to vitamin deficiencies.

In the case of MS as well as other neurological conditions, from what I understand and in addition to Erins explanation, nerves are telling our muscles to contract when they really don't need to contract, otherwise known as spasticity. This constant contracting can certainly makes us feel as though we have run a marathon when all we did is walk 25 feet (sometimes less). Our muscles get tired much quicker and we have to use more effort and energy to get our bodies to move in the way we want them to, such as walking. This causes muscle fatigue that you are describing.

TheSleeper 02-08-2012 07:45 AM

Good answers, my first clear lesions were on my c and t spine MRIs, the signal to the legs has to fight constantly to get thru? My legs always felt heavy and weak from the start.

No matter how I tried to correct it thru exercise it continued to progress.

http://www.lamarfreed.net/fatiguems.html

SallyC 02-08-2012 12:40 PM

I think Erin hit the nail right on the head, if you have MS. TK was also right on as well.

Feel better..:hug:

Kitty 02-08-2012 12:46 PM

I have such profound weakness in my left leg. Especially noticeable when I walk. But at night.....when I'm trying to relax.....my left leg seems to get a life of it's own! I have to keep moving it and flexing/relaxing the muscle. If I try not to it moves on it's own and gets the strangest feeling - not painful but definitely uncomfortable. I get L'Hermitts symptoms in my left leg, too. If I turn my head down towards my chest and turn it to the right my left leg feels like it's almost coming off the floor and I lose all coordination in it. Very, very strange sensations.

ANNagain 02-08-2012 05:10 PM

Some of our weakness must be due to atrophy. Fatigue causes less use causes atrophy causes weakness? That's what I've come up with. Many reasons probably.

ANN

Debbie D 02-08-2012 05:24 PM

Kitty, sounds like restless leg syndrome has hit you...:hug:

I agree with T...my muscles are constantly contracted. My neuro couldn't believe how huge my calf muscles are, and how hard. So after a while of standing or walking, they begin to hurt and/or feel like they're trying to walk through thick molasses.

offinthedistance 02-12-2012 11:03 PM

thank you very much guys. always good to get opinions and a clearer way of thinking about things ;)

Kitty 02-16-2012 09:45 AM

I have a question.....I hope the OP doesn't mind me using their thread to ask it. :o

My left leg is very weak. And sometimes it will just "give out" on me with no warning. Fortunately, I am at home 99.9% of the time. :rolleyes: As a result of this my right leg has become achy (mostly the outer upper thigh). Doesn't really feel like a pulled muscle but more like just overuse.

Now this makes sense to me because I'm sure it's picking up the slack for my left leg being so weak.

What have ya'll done to alleviate this pain? Do you just rely on OTC medications like Aleve? Do you think PT would help? I have a Neuro appt. on the 24th and plan to discus this with him then but he always suggests prescription meds.