NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   How Long does it take for Elavil to kick in? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/188742-elavil-kick.html)

skatemom 05-19-2013 12:17 PM

How Long does it take for Elavil to kick in?

Hi,
I have been on Elavil since Tuesday (today is Sunday). I am on 10mg, once a day at night. My main symptom of my PCS is a constant, horrible headache. Headache seems like such a mild word to describe the pain...

Yesterday was actually a good day, I am wondering if it is kicking in? My head still felt "full", but there seemed to be less pain. That being said, last night was horrible, I was rolling in bed, holding my head in pain, ugh.

Would love to hear everyone's experience will Elavil - I am new to this, hoping to get a path to recovery.

Mark in Idaho 05-19-2013 12:41 PM

Elavil is not a 'take this and your head aches will be gone' med. It helps many people but not everyone. Some need 20 mgs. For others, it never makes a difference.

Have you been icing the back of your head at the top of your neck ? It should help. Melatonin helps with some head aches.

It may help to take your blood pressure, especially when your head aches are at their worst. If you notice a link to a rise in BP, a BP med may help. Propranolol is often helpful. Home blood pressure meters are about $20.

My best to you.

Eowyn 05-19-2013 01:33 PM

Elavil is a preventive. It takes a couple of weeks to really take effect. Even then, as Mark says, you may need a higher dose than you started with, and then you may still have breakthrough headaches.

But you need to give it a couple of weeks to see what it is really doing for you before you ask for adjustments or changes.

Ice does well when you can't have other meds! You can also try icing your head and neck while putting your feet in hot water.

Good luck!

anon22217 05-19-2013 03:13 PM

Give it time. YOu might need a higher dose as my own neurogist said that 10mg is a low dose. But give it time. Please keep us updated !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eowyn (Post 984829)
Elavil is a preventive. It takes a couple of weeks to really take effect. Even then, as Mark says, you may need a higher dose than you started with, and then you may still have breakthrough headaches.

But you need to give it a couple of weeks to see what it is really doing for you before you ask for adjustments or changes.

Ice does well when you can't have other meds! You can also try icing your head and neck while putting your feet in hot water.

Good luck!

jinga 05-19-2013 05:35 PM

Headaches

Quote:

Originally Posted by skatemom (Post 984810)
Hi,
I have been on Elavil since Tuesday (today is Sunday). I am on 10mg, once a day at night. My main symptom of my PCS is a constant, horrible headache. Headache seems like such a mild word to describe the pain...

Yesterday was actually a good day, I am wondering if it is kicking in? My head still felt "full", but there seemed to be less pain. That being said, last night was horrible, I was rolling in bed, holding my head in pain, ugh.

Would love to hear everyone's experience will Elavil - I am new to this, hoping to get a path to recovery.

What was the nature of your injury? for the headache?

skatemom 05-21-2013 02:24 PM

Thanks everyone! My injury was due to a fall skating - fell back and hit my head. My main syptom is the horrible headache....I am also 'fuzzy'. I can't handle noise or crowds, fluorescent lights.

todayistomorrow 05-25-2013 03:30 PM

I had horrible headaches for 6months. Completely dehabilitating and would have them as soon as I woke up. Neuro prescribed me pain meds which was the only way I got through those days, but really was just a bandaid and not good to take those long term(you'd think a neuro would know that).

My Primary Care Dr. started me on 25mg amitryptaline and I noted a HUGE improvement in my headache symptoms after a week. After I was prescribed blue tinted glasses for my convergent insufficiency(see a neuro-opthamologist!), most of my headaches resolved.

Now I am dealing with the occasional brain fog and sensitivity to noisy/loud environments and trying to exercise more.

Mokey 05-25-2013 08:55 PM

I feel terrible for you. I am not healed yet but you need to know you will improve. Hang in there. It is really awful, isn't it!? did not tak elavil, and amitriptiline made me feel very groggy. So hard to know what to do.
Hang in there.

anon22217 05-26-2013 12:03 AM

Dear Mokey,

Hi ! I"m just curious what your progress has been like? Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokey (Post 986757)
I feel terrible for you. I am not healed yet but you need to know you will improve. Hang in there. It is really awful, isn't it!? did not tak elavil, and amitriptiline made me feel very groggy. So hard to know what to do.
Hang in there.