NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   This MAY help when filing... (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/178052-help-filing.html)

AllAmericanAmy 10-14-2012 07:43 PM

This MAY help when filing...

Hubby - 52 yo - former CNC machine operator (factory - computerized equipment) for 30 years.

Traumatic Brain Injury January 2011 downhill skiing accident

Symptoms in my signature if u interested.

We filed for SSD April 2012 (been receiving long term disability payments from private insurer).

MY TIP:When I was filling out hubby paperwork, I listed an extremely detailed job description and also included INJURY STATISTICS QUOTED FROM DEPARTMENT OF LABOR website. CNC equipment is dangerous and requires good balance, hand/eye coordination, reflexes, etc.

Did it help us win? Dunno. But I am CONFIDENT it didn't hurt! Fully favorable approval just rec'd. PRAISE THE LORD!

So I thought for anyone applying that has a job with DANGEROUS machinery or the like - get the statistics on accidents/deaths etc from the GOVERNMENTS OWN WEBSITE and quote it to em! Then tie it back to your present symptoms for clarification and stress that the injuries the GOVERNMENT reported were from healthy/well persons which you are NOT, so your odds of injury would be tremendously increased.

Best wishes to all...

finz 10-14-2012 09:02 PM

I'm glad that your husband was approved so quickly ! With his TBI, I'm sure that means a lot of support and hard work on your part, Amy, to make this happen. Great job !

Something to remember for newbies who may read this in the future.....specifics facts and stats about why you cannot do one particular job/category of job might be more helpful in a WC case or the like. To get approved for SSDI/SSI, you must prove that you can not do ANY type of substantial gainful activity. Be careful not to overlook that.

LIT LOVE 10-14-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finz (Post 922619)
To get approved for SSDI/SSI, you must prove that you can not do ANY type of substantial gainful activity. Be careful not to overlook that.

Well said, finz.

At 50 and 55 respectively, SS lowers the standards slightly required for approval. Depending on the OP's hubby's education and work history, he maybe only had to prove that he could no longer perform the same work. There are so many different factors with every case that are unique, that taking a general recommendation from another applicant and trying to apply it to a different scenario is generally not a good idea. As applicants we have ideas of what we assume will make (or made) a difference based on logic, BUT the process is a medical legal decision. For those that are approved early the process can seem very easy, but for those that don't provide the needed information for their SPECIFIC scenario, the process can be drawn out over YEARS. For many applicants, as finz stated, they have to prove that they not only are unable to work at any job, but as I found out also jobs that don't even exist in reality, but that are outdated job descriptions from 1985...

Applicants are best served by either researching the SSD process at length themselves or finding exceptional representation that won't draw the process out (even though they are financially rewarded for doing so.)

don1956 10-15-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 922636)
Well said, finz.

At 50 and 55 respectively, SS lowers the standards slightly required for approval. Depending on the OP's hubby's education and work history, he maybe only had to prove that he could no longer perform the same work. There are so many different factors with every case that are unique, that taking a general recommendation from another applicant and trying to apply it to a different scenario is generally not a good idea. As applicants we have ideas of what we assume will make (or made) a difference based on logic, BUT the process is a medical legal decision. For those that are approved early the process can seem very easy, but for those that don't provide the needed information for their SPECIFIC scenario, the process can be drawn out over YEARS. For many applicants, as finz stated, they have to prove that they not only are unable to work at any job, but as I found out also jobs that don't even exist in reality, but that are outdated job descriptions from 1985...

Applicants are best served by either researching the SSD process at length themselves or finding exceptional representation that won't draw the process out (even though they are financially rewarded for doing so.)

lit love you are so right,that is what happen to mean to.4yrs ago @52i be came disable.i was a "millwright"@lockheed.i to at that time had30yrs.they were trying to find "lightWork"for me at my job!!what:confused:didnt you people hear me!:mad:..Im a "millwright"we don't do light work..its how I got hurt:mad:..anyway they took my age and education level to into concideration to:wink: