NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Facial Paralysis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/213867-facial-paralysis.html)

uncledave 12-23-2014 12:10 AM

Facial Paralysis

For the last three days the left side of my face is mostly paralized. This is first time this aspect of MG has hit me. Does anyone know roughly how long this lasts? Is there a treatment other than just waiting it out?

suev 12-23-2014 12:29 AM

My only thought would be to look up Bell's Palsy on the internet - - see if your symptoms line up. Otherwise, it might be best to talk with your doc before the Holiday weekend.

Sorry this is happening to you..and I hope you are able to find answers very soon.

AnnieB3 12-23-2014 01:17 AM

I agree with Sue. Don't assume it's MG. But just in case it's Bell's, a mini stroke, or any other cause, the ER might be the best place for you. Taking care of a medical problem right away is the best course of action when it's new or different than your normal!!

I hope it's just the MG, but even that would need a doctor's help!!!

Annie

Joano 12-23-2014 03:12 PM

My daughter was stricken with Bells Palsy right after giving birth, and her doctor gave her a B-12 every day for 2-3 weeks. We didn't know about methylcobalamin at that time--or maybe it was even available, I'm not sure.
She's fine now, but had one eye that would only partially close for quite a while so she wore a patch when she went to bed. Her son is 15 now.
Joan

uncledave 12-24-2014 02:34 AM

Thanks to all who responded! I'm having problems getting my left eye to close also. It closes but it takes longer. There is no numbness at all. It's like my sagging left eye (which a doctor saw and decided to test me for MG) has spread to the left side of my face. No tingling, no nothing except that it's very hard to chew on that side. Water squirts out of my mouth unless I hold my lips together with my fingers. There has been no change since it started on Saturday. It's neither better nor worse. I saw my nephrologist today and he apparently didn't even notice it.

If things change or get worse I will definitely go to the ER.

cait24 12-27-2014 05:47 PM

Did you try some ice packs to see if the muscles perk up?

On very bad days the right side of my face seems almost paralyzed, it also gives me pain, But it is not numb.
Good Luck

kathie

AnnieB3 12-28-2014 05:15 PM

Next time, bring some water and food with you to the neuro's office! Then he won't be able to ignore it or pooh-pooh it. Or take a video of it happening. Or photos. OR go to urgent care or the ER when it's happening. Sometimes non-neurologst doctors take MG more seriously because they aren't as "used to" it.

Annie