NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Arms fall asleep during the night (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/44653-arms-fall-asleep-night.html)

BaxterTheBunny 04-30-2008 09:51 AM

Arms fall asleep during the night

I don't know why but this has been happening a lot more lately. It's so painful it wakes me up during the night and I have to work to get the blood flowing again. Uuuugghhh...just one more thing to deal with :mad:

Girlie Girl 04-30-2008 10:07 AM

I have been dealing with cramping in my hand a lot lately. That is something new to me. I have never been woken up by my arm falling asleep though. Maybe it is something similiar???

Don't you just love these quirky things that happen?!? Sorry I can't give you any advice.

soxmom 04-30-2008 10:19 AM

I know that some people with this problem, have CTS. My neuro said
if you can shake it off or get rid of it by repositioning it, its CTS

Hope that helps, it sure is painful.

:hug:

Jan4you 04-30-2008 10:42 AM

What is CTS again?

This was my complaint so one of my 2 neuros did the EMG of my arms/neck and said I have mild carpal tunnel.

But when I told him my legs buzz daily with tingling/numbness in my foot and electrical pain shooting down my legs, he told me the MS neuro would have to see me again and tell him to do the EMG of my legs/feet. He was already doing the EMG of my arms but could not do my legs at the same time...hmmm...

Anyone else find its not carpal tunnel???

Jan

soxmom 04-30-2008 10:53 AM

cts is carpal tunnel sydrome:)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan4you (Post 269817)
What is CTS again?

This was my complaint so one of my 2 neuros did the EMG of my arms/neck and said I have mild carpal tunnel.

But when I told him my legs buzz daily with tingling/numbness in my foot and electrical pain shooting down my legs, he told me the MS neuro would have to see me again and tell him to do the EMG of my legs/feet. He was already doing the EMG of my arms but could not do my legs at the same time...hmmm...

Anyone else find its not carpal tunnel???

Jan

Jomar 04-30-2008 11:20 AM

Does your whole arm fall asleep?
or just your hands?

Do you sleep with your hands/arms above your head, under your pillow or bent tightly?

any other symptoms/pains that might be related -fingers, hand, wrist, forearm, neck, shoulder?

Twinkletoes 04-30-2008 12:25 PM

So sorry Baxter! :(

This is what a doc had me do to test for carpal tunnel (before MS dx):

Put the backs of your hands together and push your wrists together lightly (doesn't need to hurt) for 1 minute.

I think if there is no immediate pain (within 1 min.) that it is NOT carpal tunnel.

Not a trained professional here, just what I remember.

weegot5kiz 04-30-2008 12:44 PM

sorry baxter, I know what you are going through it is painful enough it wakes you and for me its the arms hands, totally numb and i sleep on my back, so its not like i slept on one of my arms, debbie had to masage my arms this morning to help me out they hurt so bad, I have tried a few meds now not much luck with the meds for this, for me at least make you make a note of this so you mention it to doc and or call him about it, hope it stops it does seem to come and go for me can say the more exhausted i am the more it rears its ugly head

Erin524 04-30-2008 12:47 PM

I just got back from my neuro's office. He did an EMG on my arms because I've been having the same problem, arms falling asleep at night.

He said "good news! It's NOT carpal tunnel! It's the MS!" (how is this good news again?)

Apparently if it was carpal tunnel, then I might have to have surgery or some other kind of treatment. (I've been there, done that before...had CTS surgery in the early 90s) He said that the sleepy arms will probably get better. (ummm....my arms have been doing this since I was little)

I asked for a copy of my medical records. I want to see what he says about the EMG. So, I should get that in a week.

Weird thing, he was the one who actually did the EMG on me, last time I had something like that done (early 90s), they had a tech do it and I had to wait for the doctor to get the results before they'd tell me what it said.

As for the rest of my appointment, he didnt do a regular neuro exam (he did one at the beginning of April when I had a problem) He did say that he thinks I'm improving from the problems that I've been having. Not that I feel like I'm improving much, other than in my left eye that I had ON in 2yrs ago.

tovaxin_lab_rat 04-30-2008 12:56 PM

When I was first dx'd I had that problem...man oh man...sure does wake you up in a hurry! And uncomfortable!!!

Doc told me to get a different pillow...one that would keep me from rolling over onto my face and keep my arms from getting rolled up under my head. It worked!!!!

I was also tested for Carpal Tunnel and didn't have it.

I changed pillows. I got one that was shaped different, more like a triangle...anyway, you might go to one of the sleep shops at your local mall and talk to them about the problem you are having. I didn't have to use the pillow for very long before I retrained myself to sleep in a different position. I used to sleep on my stomach ... now I sleep on my side or my back and don't have any problems.

I still have that pillow...maybe I can send it to you...it's been sealed up and stored...I would be happy to lend it to you ... :D