NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Stumbling and Awkward Much? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/188953-stumbling-awkward.html)

poetrymom 05-23-2013 12:13 PM

Stumbling and Awkward Much?

I am feeling better and better, but I find I have to be really mindful of just trying to do ONE thing at a time. It's so tricky because I find it's so easy to FORGET that I need to be careful. I know I need to be careful, but I forget -- if that makes sense. I am not out of the woods, and may never be fully.

Does anyone else find they stumble more with PCS? Or spill food and drink on themselves more now with PCS? I know I do.

I am making myself sit now. I just kind of fell onto the couch, but I didn't hurt myself.

Does restorative Yoga (gentle yoga) help with this? No headstands or fast head movements for me.

I have some meditation I am doing now too and that's a piece of all right. I really like it.

Any other tips with working on GRACE or being more careful and graceful.

Thanks

pm

Consider 05-23-2013 12:38 PM

I love yoga, it brings meditation and stretching, plus guided imagery. A huge stress reliever for me! There are certain yoga positions you can try, and a lot of them you can do in your chair. And you can be creative with yoga, it is all up to you. There are several tips about yoga on the internet. And yes, relaxing music is recommended, as it brings up the positive vibe. Happy relaxing! :hug:

DFayesMom 05-23-2013 01:02 PM

I forget

Are you doing vestibular therapy? It helps with balance. I'm still very clumsy, probably because of my eye issues, but I've gotten much better. You will too. I'm sure yoga would be helpful, as long as you don't do things you feel uncomfortable doing!

poetrymom 05-23-2013 02:39 PM

vestibular therapy

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFayesMom (Post 986064)
Are you doing vestibular therapy? It helps with balance. I'm still very clumsy, probably because of my eye issues, but I've gotten much better. You will too. I'm sure yoga would be helpful, as long as you don't do things you feel uncomfortable doing!

Hi Defmom,

I had vestibular therapy and should revisit some of those exercises. I can get a little dizzy just bending down to get clothes out of the dryer. I called vestibular therapist to ask if I should still be doing some of the exercises I did. I rather think so.

Anyhow, thx for your reply

poetrymom 05-23-2013 08:09 PM

gentle yoga suggestions?

Does anyone have a favorite dvd or a you tube series of gentle yoga?

I just want to try some things at my house before I go anywhere like a gym or studio to try it. (The less driving I do, the less stress, the more healing too)

Thanks for any replies.

Sincerely

pm

MiaVita2012 05-23-2013 09:17 PM

Yoga

Yoga is really good if you do not have a neck injury....I did before accident but not suppose to now with neck injury.Good relief though:D

DFayesMom 05-23-2013 09:40 PM

Idea

I was going to start going to a beginning yoga class geared toward senior citizens. My friend teaches yoga there and assured me that other younger people with health problems would be there, but it didn't work with my schedule.

For a video, I don't have any specific recommendations! I'd be interested to know though!

poetrymom 05-23-2013 11:51 PM

brilliant!

DF mom

Yes, a yoga for the elderly -- that is exactly what would be the pace for me.

I often feel "elderly" at times -- when I just need to s l o w

d o w n and ..............hmmmmmm???? I am mully in my head, or when I misplace things, or I word stutter.....

Anyhow, if I find something good on Youtube, I will post it here, but it has to be a very gentle thing. I am doing some stretching and stuff on my own no problem, but I would like to see what else is out there.

thanks for the idea

pm

sospan 05-24-2013 03:31 AM

Post injury I used to walk into tables and work tops, bump into door frames. You couldn't count the number of glasses and plates I have smashed because I have missed the counter top.

Apparently I have damaged the teaming in my eyes and have poor depth perception. I have also got Labyrinthitus which compounds the balance issues.

From the time reading the posts on this board it seems quite a common problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by poetrymom (Post 986044)
I am feeling better and better, but I find I have to be really mindful of just trying to do ONE thing at a time. It's so tricky because I find it's so easy to FORGET that I need to be careful. I know I need to be careful, but I forget -- if that makes sense. I am not out of the woods, and may never be fully.

Does anyone else find they stumble more with PCS? Or spill food and drink on themselves more now with PCS? I know I do.

I am making myself sit now. I just kind of fell onto the couch, but I didn't hurt myself.

Does restorative Yoga (gentle yoga) help with this? No headstands or fast head movements for me.

I have some meditation I am doing now too and that's a piece of all right. I really like it.

Any other tips with working on GRACE or being more careful and graceful.

Thanks

pm

Bears Fan 05-24-2013 04:08 AM

Hello!!!!!

[QUOTE=poetrymom;986044]I am feeling better and better, but I find I have to be really mindful of just trying to do ONE thing at a time. It's so tricky because I find it's so easy to FORGET that I need to be careful. I know I need to be careful, but I forget -- if that makes sense. I am not out of the woods, and may never be fully.

I got a concussion just by falling and hitting my head on a coffee table. The top was a 1/2 inch thick piece of glass. I barely remember falling. If I blacked out, I don't know for how long. Since then the headaches have been horrible, top that with the migraines I was already getting. My inability to remember things makes it hard to go for my bachelor's degree in sociology. The stittering doesn't help much either. Sometimes when I have to get up in front of a group of people and speak I get afraid, afraid that I can't read what's on the paper. There have been times when I have had to ask what a word was(i.e. like moon), very frustrating.
I find myself being very clumsy at times. When I get stressed out, my left hand starts to shake. That's bad, I'm left handed, can't do my school work.
Just try to smile until you can find the help you need. I wish I had better advice for you.
:p :eek: :rolleyes: