NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   I've fallen and I can't get up. (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/157366-ive-fallen-cant.html)

kicker 09-16-2011 08:24 PM

I've fallen and I can't get up.

Between the toilet and transferring to chair, I collapse on tile floor, I had forgotten to raise fold up foot rest.It touching my legs caused them to fold-up. I sink to the floor. My left arm and leg are totally useless, my right side not strong enough. I get me and chair into bedroom. I have a cell phone and call my husband. He is a state away, so he calls EMTS and tells them where key to house is. They come to me. I tell them the good news is I'm not fat. The bad news is I have no pants on under my blanket. Had I known they were coming, I would have worn the good underwear. EMTs don't care, I know that. I tell them I need a lift from right (my good arm) and we should try to be graceful. We kinda are. We say goodbye as I'm back in my chair.

While waiting for them I had alternately cried in anger and laughed at my situation. It's been a year and a half since I was last trapped on the floor. My guard is up, hope this doesn't happen again for a long time.

Bets 09-16-2011 08:39 PM

Were they cute at Least?
I'm sorry you took a spill, I hope you didn't get bruised. :hug:

SallyC 09-16-2011 09:06 PM

Darn, Kicker, I'm sorry. I hope you won't have any bruising or ouchys from this fall.:hug::hug:

You took me back to my 911 call, remember..:eek: I did like you, laughed at my stupid self, cried, and blubbered in self pity for a little bit, then came right home here to report it to you.:)

I have this fear, everytime I transfer, ask God for his help to be careful and not to do anything stupid. And when I get to where I'm going, I say Thank You.:smileypray:

Aarcyn 09-16-2011 09:15 PM

You and me Kicker, we both know the funny and the tragic of the situation. When I fell, I had my depends around my knees. Maybe we should have panties tattooed on so we never look as if we are wearing nothing.

You made me laugh and cry. You and me Kicker.

kicker 09-16-2011 10:13 PM

I did have my underwear on (thank goodness) just nothing good.

Ah Bets, they were not cute. Firemen are much cuter but hear from ex-wives, GFs, etc., can't be trusted. Do we have any ex fire men here to discuss this? (I've had 2 firemen make passes at me back in the day).

Sal, I'd rather laugh than cry, right? 8-}

SallyC 09-16-2011 11:25 PM

I was lucky, I had 2 policemen and 2 Firemen, and they were all good looking and young enough to be my sons...RATS!!!:D

Yes kicker, much better to laugh than cry, but both are emotional releases and both necessary..:)

BTW, I didn't have any pants on, but a caftan covered me.:eek::D

Judy2 09-17-2011 12:09 AM

Really sorry to hear about your fall, but glad you're okay.:) No matter how much we laugh and joke about it, while lying on the floor, it sure doesn't feel funny.:confused: Take care Kicker.:hug:

kicker 09-17-2011 06:21 AM

Today is day after - I'm really tired today. All that wiggling round on the ground is showing up today. I'm sitting in my chair but my butt muscles hurt!. OMG, I really don't get exercises. Maybe this is a good way for wheelchair people to get some exercise. Put them on ground and put them out of reach of stuff. No pain, no gain. I must have gain!

Kitty 09-17-2011 07:11 AM

:hug: Kicker :hug:

I hate it that you fell down. But, I'm glad you're okay and can have a sense of humor about it. If we can't laugh at ourselves then..........

You'll probably be sore for a couple of days. You used muscles that weren't used to being moved.

Please be careful. But you've got a great idea for meeting strong, helpful men. :p ;)

Blessings2You 09-17-2011 07:51 AM

Thank God you're all right (all things considered!)

With all of the truly tragic things that CAN happen, falling in the bathroom is one of my nightmares. I especially freak out thinking I might fall in the shower! :eek:

We're in a small town, and the first responders (volunteer fire department) are guys I've known forever. Me in nothing but wet skin is NOT the image I want imbedded in their minds!!!

I've given my husband two instructions, assuming he can't resolve the problem himself:

1. If I fall, warn them they'll need a crane and a bucket loader.

2. If I fall in the shower, don't unlock the door for the first responders (Tommy, Duane, Matt, Don, etc.) Wait for strangers.