NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   Breakthrough Pain Meds (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/86665-breakthrough-pain-meds.html)

Joe M 05-09-2009 08:32 PM

Breakthrough Pain Meds

I'm wondering who can help me out on this issue.

I know this is hard for many non-pain suffering folks to to believe, but I am on a steady intake of Oxycontin 40mg (3 x day) with Dialaudid 4mg (3 x day) and I am still in f'ing pain!! It's coming to the point where this is just hardly enough meds to keep me from going completely insane ... I just can't fathom the meds I am on, and that I still suffer!!

My doc's idea was this (keep in mind, he's a very smart guy who's also a Orthopedic surgeon with a specialty in pain medicine):

1. Take the Oxy for a constant steady flow of pain meds in the blood stream
2. Having Dialaudid will cover breakthrough pain as well as other pain

I know many of you folks with the best intentions will suggest the Fentanyl patch ... I had been on the Fentanyl patch for 2 1/4 years until it just stopped working. That really sucked too.

Any suggestions will be GREATLY APPRECIATED when I meet with him next week!!

Koala77 05-09-2009 11:38 PM

I wanted you to know that you're aren't alone, and if you ever need a shoulder to lean on...... I have two little ones that you're welcome to use. Either one or both, any time you feel the need. :hug:

I do so wish I had a magic solution for you, but I don't! :(

We don't have Dialaudid here in Australia and when I looked at the pharmaceutical ingredients, none of them except Morphine rang a bell, so I don't think we even have a drug similar here in my country.

Hubby and I both have chronic pain issues, and we both take Oxycontin SR 20mgs, twice daily. Both of us also take Oxycodone for break through pain. He has 10mgs, and I have 5mg. Then there are the lesser analgesics........

I guess the lists just go on and on!

Dejibo 05-11-2009 02:37 PM

I find my TENS unit helps, so does Massage, meditation, and stretching. heating pads can also help release some of the muscle tension that comes along wtih pain. I know when I am in alot of pain, I tense up, and that makes it worse. A muscle relaxer with my pain meds makes all the differnce to me.

I hope you are able to find some relief.

Peter B 05-16-2009 04:49 AM

Without knowing your medical situation and where your pain comes from, I would add to the equation remedial massage to get your long suffering muscles unknotted, stretched and relaxed.
So much pain can come from muscles, yet the focus is always on pain killers that won't do anything to treat muscular pains. A tight, knotted muscle can cause extreme pain, not just in the localised area, but in other parts of the body that the muscle affects.
As part of your overall pain treatment, you MUST pay attention to your muscles, or you are ignoring a major component.