NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Has anyone used or been prescribed PETADOLEX for TBI (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/171571-prescribed-petadolex-tbi.html)

jinga 06-14-2012 03:07 PM

Has anyone used or been prescribed PETADOLEX for TBI

I am wondering if anyone has been prescibed or uses Petadolex for migrain type headache - If so did it work or not, side effects, length of usage etc.. Circumstance for use.

I suffered a concussion\TBI and still plagued by persistent headaches but they have gotten somewhat improved from the early days. I was recently presribed this and want to know more about others experience with it.

Thanks for any useful input

Mark in Idaho 06-14-2012 07:27 PM

It is an over-the-counter extract of butterburr that is supposed to help the arteries in the head relax. I don't see why it would help with head aches if it increases blood flow in the brain but may your doc thinks it is worth a try.

PCS Mikey 06-14-2012 07:59 PM

My neurologists' practice has a naturopathic doctor, a therapist who specializes in crainal sacral massage, and a psychiatric NP.

I had one visit with the naturopathic doc to see if there were any natural supplements I could take based on my condition. He had me take the Petadolex but based on the cost (Whole Foods cost of $50+ per bottle of about 30 tablets) I tried only one bottle. I didn't realize any significant or marginal improvement or change, so I stopped after one bottle.

Different folks may have a different response than I did, so if you try, good luck!

Mike

jinga 06-15-2012 04:35 PM

PCS Mikey...

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCS Mikey (Post 888944)
My neurologists' practice has a naturopathic doctor, a therapist who specializes in crainal sacral massage, and a psychiatric NP.

I had one visit with the naturopathic doc to see if there were any natural supplements I could take based on my condition. He had me take the Petadolex but based on the cost (Whole Foods cost of $50+ per bottle of about 30 tablets) I tried only one bottle. I didn't realize any significant or marginal improvement or change, so I stopped after one bottle.

Different folks may have a different response than I did, so if you try, good luck!

Mike

I was told there is now a prescription for this so that should hopefully helpout on the cost etc... I was told it may take a long while to get into your system before you know if it is helping. i will give it a try and see.

Eowyn 06-16-2012 10:10 AM

I don't know about that particular medication, but one of my doctors recommended riboflavin, magnesium, and butterbur as a migraine preventive. He said it could take up to a month to take effect as it takes a while for the substances to accumulate in the body.

jinga 06-16-2012 10:20 AM

Eown... thanks for the reply

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eowyn (Post 889277)
I don't know about that particular medication, but one of my doctors recommended riboflavin, magnesium, and butterbur as a migraine preventive. He said it could take up to a month to take effect as it takes a while for the substances to accumulate in the body.

The petadolex is the new script for of the butterbur. i am going to try it and see what happens - the headaches are quite something to deal with

Eowyn 06-16-2012 11:01 AM

Do you know what the dosage is? I just take an OTC formulation of butterbur and feverfew. It's 75 mg of butterbur and 200 mg of feverfew 3x per day.

jinga 06-16-2012 03:57 PM

Eowyn...

It starts at 50mg and goes up to 200 I beleive.

Do you believe it has helped you?

Eowyn 06-16-2012 10:13 PM

It's really hard to say. I started it at the same time I started the rest of the Nedley program. I had significant improvements within a week of that, so it's unclear exactly what led to the improvement (or if it was all of it together).

I haven't had any recurrence of headaches since the end of March.

However, when I did start to taper down my Topamax (still taking butterbur, etc.) the headaches started coming back, so I went back up to my full dose of that.