NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Food Court (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/)
-   -   Cream substitute needed for gnocchi dish (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/68778-cream-substitute-gnocchi-dish.html)

Lara 01-08-2009 05:51 AM

Cream substitute needed for gnocchi dish

I made something tonight that was really so nice that it made me sick. :o

I need a cream substitute for this dish and knowing you all I figured you'd have some nifty suggestions.

It's Creamy Pesto Gnocchi (from some supermarket cookbook.)

500g fresh potato gnocchi
I cup light thickened cream
1/4 cup of sun-dried tomato pesto (yum!)
Chargrilled capsicum (bell peppers- red) finely chopped
150g baby spinach
1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese to top.

OK, I'd prefer to keep a sprinkle of the parmesan cheese, but need a substitute for all that cream. Eeee gads, my liver is crying. :eek:

The whole concept is so easy, except for making the gnocchi myself. But I'd prefer to do that than buy ready made as it goes quite chewy.

Any suggestions for a good cream subsitute for this recipe would be very welcome. Thank you.

Curious 01-08-2009 06:01 AM

What about a canned low fat cream soup? Like cream of mushroom. Or just skip the creamy and make it lighter with a broth?

When I need cream for recipes, I use a non fat brand we have from Land O Lakes.

Recipe sounds yummy!!

Lara 01-08-2009 06:13 AM

Thanks curious. :D

Yeah, I thought of using a home made chicken stock and just adding some shredded chicken. That might work well too.

The recipe was incredibly fun and easy, but all that cream made it taste a little like an old fashioned cocktail sauce that goes on prawns (translation: shrimps lol). (plus it doesn't agree with me).

Non-fat cream. Now there's a concept. I'll look for that. I know "light" cream, but it's still too rich for me. Maybe I could use a little of that and go easier on the tomato pesto. That's very strong flavour so needs a balance.

Curious 01-08-2009 06:22 AM

My husband used to think I was strange, keeping bit and peices of veggies in the freezer. Until he had a dish that I used my veggie stock. :D He kept asking what the heck was I saving onion skins for. :p

He didn't blink when he saw whole bananas all black and frozen in the freezer. He just waited for banana bread.

I love my liver. hehehe. I stay away from creamy stuff as much as I can. We don't drink, but members of the gym always give us wine for gifts. Strange huh? They do come in handy for light pasta and chicken sauces. :wink:

You are making me think...gnocchi tonight. I haven't made homemade in a few years. Might be tricky one handed. I bet GrandMonkey would love to help.

Lara 01-08-2009 06:29 AM

Yes indeed, fresh pasta and things like gnocchi are so much fun for family to make together. Heck, you could delegate. ;)

I don't like my liver at all anymore and it doesn't like me very sadly. I just want it to keep me going a long time from now.

I do that with bananas too. I love making stock the old fashioned way. I keep all unused chicken bones and vegies and make stock. I use the freezer cubes to make small amounts for things like lemon sauce. I also love that I don't have to ingest so much SALT. I have restless leg syndrome and salt is a noticeable problem for me trying to sleep.

Dixie_Amazon 01-08-2009 06:47 AM

Non-fat evaporated milk might work too.

Lara 01-09-2009 03:55 AM

Thanks Dixie! I might experiment. The evaporated milk might actually work well, but I was thinking that I could just modify the whole sauce part and make a white sauce/bechamel using non-fat milk. I don't have a problem with wheat flour, so that's not a problem.

The tomato pesto and the grilled capsicum/peppers are quite strong in flavour, so I don't think it would really matter. I just know I can't use the full cream in that amount.

DiMarie 01-11-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 440896)
Thanks curious. :D

Yeah, I thought of using a home made chicken stock and just adding some shredded chicken. That might work well too.

The recipe was incredibly fun and easy, but all that cream made it taste a little like an old fashioned cocktail sauce that goes on prawns (translation: shrimps lol). (plus it doesn't agree with me).

Non-fat cream. Now there's a concept. I'll look for that. I know "light" cream, but it's still too rich for me. Maybe I could use a little of that and go easier on the tomato pesto. That's very strong flavour so needs a balance.

I could never handle a cream like that much..plus lactose intolerant...
But I agree about the chicken broth, but I would consider using the broth and making a lite roug like a little butter or oil in a pan, some butter/or substitute. Add some flour, about 1/3 to some broth and stir, you need two things, an oil, and to bring to a boil so it does not lump and gets thick....

I would melt the butter or smart balance with a tbls oil, then in a cup mix 1/4 to 1/3 flour and cup of the broth wisk it and add to the pot that has heated to a boil with the rest of that can and add a second. take to a lower temp from the boil before adding the flour mixture, wisk it in.

This is the sauce or gravy I make or for cassarols.
di