NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Hi from new zealand. (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/205572-hi-zealand.html)

sonofdy 06-13-2014 04:33 AM

Hi from new zealand.

I know what the answer is likely to be, "see your doctor" I have an appointment, but I would still like you opinion. My wife thinks I have MS but I am not so sure. I have always had an essential tremor but lately its gotten way out of control. My whole body feels like it is shaking sometimes. When I watch tv my wife tells me my head shakes but I don't notice. My whole body does it but oddly enough, its worst when I yawn and mainly in my right hand. Other symptoms include
- loss of a sex drive
- memory sucks
- burning sensation in my thighs, especially after I run.
- Loss of strength to run
- a tired jaw after chewing for a few minutes.
- Jaw feels clamped all of the time
- random cramps in my feet
That's all I can remember right now.
Down here in new Zealand you need to see a gp before getting a referral to a neurologist and then there can be quite a waiting period. Anyway, all you amateur doctors and real ones let me know what you think. Don't worry about lawsuits if you are wrong, we don't do that crap down here :winky:

ANNagain 06-13-2014 01:38 PM

Welcome to Neurotalk, Sonofdy.

If there is any thing I have learned, it is that MS-like symptoms occur in a myriad of other diseases. Lacking a test to confirm MS, it becomes a disease of exclusion. You must exclude all the ones that are more common and easier to diagnose. These include a low B-12 level and Lyme Disease.

I have or have had all of the symptoms you mention- especially short term memory (names), jaw clenching and the burning thighs w exertion. I've had MS since I was 21- now 64.

You might want to look up Uhthoff's Syndrome. It can happen in MS when our temperature is raised (as in running). There can be other components, including vision, but they resolve when you cool down.

Best to you and let us know what you find out please,
ANN

doydie 06-14-2014 12:11 AM

Agree with what Ann says. Welcome to Neuro talk. I guess New Zealand is kind of like Canada in length of time it takes to get an appointment. We have faults in our health care here in the USA but I am glad to say that that is not one of them

Lynn 06-14-2014 05:22 AM

Sending a hug from 'across the ditch'

What is the reason for your 'essential tremor' - has that been investigated, and have you had an MRI?

As Ann said, MS diagnosis is a process of excluding other diseases, have a look at the McDonald Criteria, and go to the MS Society of New Zealand website and have a look:

www.msnz.org.nz

I hope this helps, and good luck in finding out what is going on.

SallyC 06-14-2014 12:25 PM

Welcome Sonofdy:hug:

NurseNancy 06-14-2014 04:53 PM

i agree with the above advice.
start to keep a sx (symptom) journal with dates and what sx's you have. it may help your dr when he does a history/physical at your visit.

i can't say what the sx's mean. but, try to prepare for your dr visit with Q's written down. and, bring your wife as your advocate and 2nd set of ears.

keep us posted please and welcome to NT.

msarkie 06-14-2014 07:06 PM

Welcome and let us know what you find out! MS is a mimic of many other diseases, or vice versa.

Off topic, I would so love to visit New Zealand!