NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Caregivers Support (https://www.neurotalk.org/caregivers-support/)
-   -   pic line and g tube (https://www.neurotalk.org/caregivers-support/80662-pic-line-tube.html)

tied 03-10-2009 04:55 AM

pic line and g tube

prior to hospice we were still fighting cancer, home nursr said pic line dressing needs changing weekly. now in hospice they say it can go indefinitely. anyone have experience with that? after 3 wks with same dressing it started to come off. they changed it then. are we being abused? it aeems like it.

sil came to help out and she is also a physical therapist, she demonstrated how to use a belt to help s.mom on commode. i was horrified it seemed so risky with g tube. also sil is on strong pain meds and drinks both openly and extra she conceals. she is threatening to help again and i wanna scream. later i asked hospice nurse, he said belt is not to be abused in that fashion. how do i get sil under control? she is pushy and does not respond to reason. :eek:

Koala77 03-10-2009 05:19 AM

I live in a different country to you, and I daresay protocols are different all over the world, but PIC line dressings were always changed weekly where I worked, but that was in an acute care unit. I did not look after a PIC line while working in a hospice unit.

Hospice units often have different procedures to acute care. I remember that subcutaneous line dressings were changed every 48 hours in acute care, but only as necessary in hospice care, so I assume that PIC lines are treated in a similar fashion.

The reason for not changing as often in Hospice was to ensure the patient was not distressed un-necessarily. The site was checked 2-3 times daily, and changed if there were any problems with the site.

Dejibo 03-12-2009 10:14 AM

agreed! even if they are not changing the whole dresssing, they should be checking it to be sure its clean, dry and the pic line doesnt look angry or red. Good skin care should be provided at ALL stages of life and death.

As for the SIL, I have a few of those in my family. I find they burn themselves out quickly. normally they show up for a good performance, then I step in and suggest, "I am just gonna sit with her awhile, would you like to go get a cup of coffee, and relax for a bit?" Offer her excuses to be out of the room. "you look tired, perhaps a nap would help you." or "its great that you are here! but for now, there isnt a lot going on. Could you help me by going to the market?" plan things to get her if not out of the room, at least out of the house. She will feel like she is contributing, and perhaps you can use the extra help around the house. Doing dishes is always a blessing. Washing dirty sheets? Sweeping? There is always something that needs doing. Make sure you express gratitude so she will feel good about the next task. Claws out, and hissing and spitting isnt going to help either of you. I know you want to scream, but with some management, perhaps you can redirect her. Just keep track of the many pill bottles, and meds. Tell her that the nurse counts them.