NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Diagnosing PCS (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/171087-diagnosing-pcs.html)

giselle459 06-06-2012 06:01 PM

Diagnosing PCS

To begin, I would like to thank everyone for the warm welcome onto this community.

I do not have PCS, but a friend does. You will see me on here asking many questions. I find Google to be confusing, and I am really trying to take the initiative to help my friend recover, and educate my friends who are too complacent to research.

I have a few pressing questions to help me better understand Owen's condition. While I understand that every case is different, i'm just trying to enrich my knowledge.

1. How long after a concussion does it take for someone to be diagnosed with PCS? Are you diagnosed with PCS when your concussion symptoms don't subside?

2. Can someone still have PCS, despite having an MRI or other scan that shows nothing strange?

3. I've read that MRIs can detect if someone with a concussion is suffering from memory loss problems/amnesia, because parts of the brain will light up on the doctors screen. Is this true? (I have read stories of people developing symptoms weeks after an MRI).

These questions may seem amateur, but I am SO grateful for your help.

antelope 06-06-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giselle459 (Post 886653)
To begin, I would like to thank everyone for the warm welcome onto this community.

I do not have PCS, but a friend does. You will see me on here asking many questions. I find Google to be confusing, and I am really trying to take the initiative to help my friend recover, and educate my friends who are too complacent to research.

I have a few pressing questions to help me better understand Owen's condition. While I understand that every case is different, i'm just trying to enrich my knowledge.

1. How long after a concussion does it take for someone to be diagnosed with PCS? Are you diagnosed with PCS when your concussion symptoms don't subside?

2. Can someone still have PCS, despite having an MRI or other scan that shows nothing strange?

3. I've read that MRIs can detect if someone with a concussion is suffering from memory loss problems/amnesia, because parts of the brain will light up on the doctors screen. Is this true? (I have read stories of people developing symptoms weeks after an MRI).

These questions may seem amateur, but I am SO grateful for your help.

Hi there, I am new here too. This is my first post, in fact. I joined because yesterday I was finally diagnosed with PCD.

My relatively minor head injury was at the end of January, so it has taken over five months for the neurologist to specify this diagnoses. And, I believe they gave me this because my symptoms have not subsided.

My brain and cervical spine mris (with and without contrast), were normal.

I don't know about your number three though.

roadrunner63 06-06-2012 07:28 PM

MRIs and CtScans neither prove or disprove PCS.

Memory loss/amnesia can not be detected by MRI. There are neuropsychological tests (not scans) that check for problems with memory and other cognitive functions.

It is normal for symptoms to develop and/or increase days or weeks after initial concussion.