NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   MS Fatigue and Adderall or Ritalin (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/71514-ms-fatigue-adderall-ritalin.html)

SweetP 01-15-2009 09:41 PM

MS Fatigue and Adderall or Ritalin

I have been "layed off four times in a 1.5 years after I had so many absences and doctor's appointments. I am very close to filing for disability, however cannot handle being away from m children, while I live with my mother. I am trying one more time to work and have asked the neuro for medication for the fatigue. My biggest concern is pain and fatigue. I take Tramadol in the morning for the pain and some ibuprofen in the afternoon. that's cool, but the fatigue is crippling. I have been offered a job that would offer benefits and a decent pay rate. I have been without benefits. The neuro might prescribe adderall or ritalin. I wanted to get your feedback about your experiences with these drugs. He was going to prescribe Provigil, but I can't afford it. Oh by the way I am Avonex and montly steriods as well. Your thoughts?:)

TwoKidsTwoCats 01-16-2009 12:03 AM

I use Adderall on an as needed basis. My neuro prescribed it back in the summer to help with fatigue. It really helped with fatigue and some of the cognitive fog I have.

I take one now only if I have a full day and need to be thinking clearly. It really works for me, but the down side.... I take it at 8am and at midnight, my mind is still going strong. I only take half the prescribed dose!

One other good for me side effect... it suppresses my appetite. I realized about 9pm that I had not eaten anything since breakfast.:rolleyes:

doydie 01-16-2009 12:19 AM

I don't know how many years I have now been on Ritalin and have done OK. It doesn't give me enough energy to maintain my job but I had enough other cognitive issues I couldn't if I wanted to. But it does help me get through the day.

SweetP 01-16-2009 08:36 AM

Sweet P Follow up

Quote:

Originally Posted by doydie (Post 447187)
I don't know how many years I have now been on Ritalin and have done OK. It doesn't give me enough energy to maintain my job but I had enough other cognitive issues I couldn't if I wanted to. But it does help me get through the day.

It is so great that I can ask you all these questions. You have no idea how valuable this site has been to me. I get the impression that I could take it on days in which I am struggling and not on others. My new job is scheduled to work 12:00 p.m. to 9:30 p..m. so If I have insomnia, I could sleep in. Of course you hear about the kids and the addiction to these drugs. I plan to not tell my teenager or anyone else for that matter. Thanks again.:wink:

mnbartman 01-23-2009 06:32 PM

I have been on ritalin for a few months now, but do not get much releif from the fatague. Would adderal work better? I have benn on tysabri for 6 month also.

RedPenguins 01-24-2009 04:32 AM

Before I underwent HiCy - my fatigue was out of control. Provigil didn't do anything....and the highs/lows of all the other meds were really a turn off for me.

I ended up trying something called DAYTRANA. It is basically the same chemical/med as ritalin, but it is delivered in a patch form....and thus it is a steadier stream in your body (no highs/lows). When I was at my worst, I couldn't hold up my head after an hour of being awake when I didn't wear the patch.

:)

Do what you have to do to make it thru the day!!

~Keri

Snoopy 01-25-2009 07:00 PM

I know there are many who use A.D.D. meds for fatigue. I do not but my DD uses adderall and has used other A.D.D. meds for what they are intended....A.D.D.

There are side affects, some serious and something those of you who want to use or are using these meds should research.

These meds are a legal form of speed and the reason some with MS use them because speed helps with fatigue. For those with A.D.D (adult or child) the affect is different - the meds actually calm the person so they can focus and not be so scattered.

RedPenguins: be aware that Dytrana, at least for my DD, can pull your skin off.

As I said - do your research on these drugs. The also have the ability to cause, in some, to become angry, violent and suicidal.

doydie 01-26-2009 12:49 AM

The only side effect my Ritalin has had is raising my blood pressure. My nuero just had me increase the dose by 5 mg each week until it worked. Unfortunaltely it was 30 mg. On 25 mg my B/P was OK. So I have been on 25 mg for a long time.

brandonwall 01-26-2009 08:55 AM

I am on modafinil and it does wonders.